Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Chase discontinuing legacy $75 hyatt card?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Chase discontinuing legacy $75 hyatt card?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 18, 2020, 9:24 pm

Originally Posted by notquiteaff
https://www.doctorofcredit.com/rumor...of-hyatt-card/

Update 11/18/20: Chase has reached out to state that legacy cardholders will automatically be converted on January 11, 2021. (...) The increased annual fee will start to be charged in August 2021, so if your renewal is before then you’ll pay the lower annual fee for that cardmember year.”

I am currently working on the “free night for $4k spend” offer. The T&C say
  • Please allow 4 weeks from the end of the promotion period for the Free Night Award to be issued to your World of Hyatt account at worldofhyatt.com.
so I suspect they will not post until after the conversion.
Sneaky! But smart in their part. I’ve already hit the $4k spend for the free night, but was planning to cancel and then sign up for the new card next year when I should finally be under 5/24. This will probably cause me to hold on the card until the free night posts. I think I should still be able to cancel the converted card and reapply later next year, bc I won’t have gotten a bonus since I first applied for the old card many years ago.
Old Nov 18, 2020, 9:33 pm

Programs: UA LT 1K, AA EXP, Bonvoy LT Titan, Avis PC, Hilton Gold
My $75 fee was charged in July. So does that mean I have until July 2021, or will they charge me $20 extra in January. I will cancel if forced to upgrade. I rarely use the card and rarely stay at Hyatts. Stay usually at Marriott or Hilton.
Old Nov 18, 2020, 10:05 pm

Originally Posted by iherebyresign
Would now be a good time to cancel the legacy card and sign up for the new one to get the bonus points?
How long do I need to wait before canceling the legacy card before I can apply for the new one to get the bonus points? Would like to do a mattress run in two weeks using the new card.

Last edited by iluvdoco; Nov 18, 2020 at 10:22 pm
Old Nov 18, 2020, 10:43 pm

Programs: TK E+, WY, Radisson R
Originally Posted by iherebyresign
Would now be a good time to cancel the legacy card and sign up for the new one to get the bonus points?
In the same boat, I don't mind losing 1 free night upon renewal, the SUB of WOH is just too much to pass up.
Old Nov 18, 2020, 11:02 pm
LAX

Programs: OZ Diamond
https://www.doctorofcredit.com/rumor...of-hyatt-card/

Update 11/18/20: Chase has reached out to state that legacy cardholders will automatically be converted on January 11, 2021. (...) The increased annual fee will start to be charged in August 2021, so if your renewal is before then you’ll pay the lower annual fee for that cardmember year.”

I am currently working on the “free night for $4k spend” offer. The T&C say
  • Please allow 4 weeks from the end of the promotion period for the Free Night Award to be issued to your World of Hyatt account at worldofhyatt.com.
so I suspect they will not post until after the conversion.
Mine renews before August, so I will still be paying the lower AF. If I get converted to the new card in January and renew at the old rate, would that automatically make me ineligible for SUB on the new card down the road?

LAX
Old Nov 18, 2020, 11:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Originally Posted by iluvdoco
How long do I need to wait before canceling the legacy card before I can apply for the new one to get the bonus points? Would like to do a mattress run in two weeks using the new card.
I suspect you're going to be out of luck but I'd call Chase first.

Originally Posted by vincewy
In the same boat, I don't mind losing 1 free night upon renewal, the SUB of WOH is just too much to pass up.
_If_ there is a SUB when you apply for the WOH card.

Originally Posted by LAX
Mine renews before August, so I will still be paying the lower AF. If I get converted to the new card in January and renew at the old rate, would that automatically make me ineligible for SUB on the new card down the road?

LAX
I'm expecting that Chase will not provide for a SUB for those that they convert from the legacy Hyatt Card to the WOH Card - but someone can call and ask. I'm just going to cancel.

David
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Nov 19, 2020, 9:21 pm
LAX

Originally Posted by DELee
I suspect you're going to be out of luck but I'd call Chase first.

_If_ there is a SUB when you apply for the WOH card.

I'm expecting that Chase will not provide for a SUB for those that they convert from the legacy Hyatt Card to the WOH Card - but someone can call and ask. I'm just going to cancel.

David
I might just end up doing the same in early January. While I don't have any near term plan to apply for the "new" Hyatt card, I do want the SUB if I end up applying for one in the future. I guess it's not worth the risk to squeeze another FNA @ $75 and end up losing the SUB.

LAX
Old Nov 21, 2020, 10:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
Informed Delivery shows that I am going to receive a card from Chase today telling me that my Hyatt card is changing to the WoH card.
Old Nov 21, 2020, 1:46 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Informed Delivery shows that I am going to receive a card from Chase today telling me that my Hyatt card is changing to the WoH card.
Are you saying that you are getting the new card today or being informed that a conversion will take place in the future?
Old Nov 21, 2020, 4:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

True FU Move on Chase and Hyatt's Parts

David
Old Nov 21, 2020, 4:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
Originally Posted by serpens
Are you saying that you are getting the new card today or being informed that a conversion will take place in the future?
I got a folded card stock mailer (not sure what the technical term for it is) that on the front (the one Informed Delivery scanned) told me:

"Your Hyatt Credit Card is changing to the World of Hyatt Credit Card"

Inside are all the details and comparison between the old and the new card. What I don't see mentioned is this bit from the DoC story I linked earlier:

"The increased annual fee will start to be charged in August 2021, so if your renewal is before then you’ll pay the lower annual fee for that cardmember year."

I can't find any mention of Aug 2021 unless it is buried in the fine print (one whole page) that I only skimmed). Instead they say:

"In addition to your new benefits and rewards, your annual fee will change from $75 to $95. You will receive a letter in the mail explaining the new fee, when it will apply, and your right to reject the change for this new product."

Not sure why it requires another letter to explain it.
Old Nov 21, 2020, 7:07 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for posting. I am also waiting for the free night for $4000 spend to post before making any decision, but am leaning toward keeping the card. Chase doesn't have any lifetime language, like Amex, so I am assuming I can always cancel the card and apply in the future for a new signup bonus. In the next 6-8 months I will be under 5/24 and also eligible for a new Sapphire signup bonus.

60,000 Hyatt points are nice, but I've moved most of my stays to Hilton and appreciate all the perks/benefits of the Hilton Aspire Card.
A new Sapphire bonus is worth more to me than a new Hyatt bonus.

If I was looking toward other Chase cards, I would consider applying for the following before canceling and reapplying for the Hyatt card:

1. New Sapphire Reserve or Preferred bonus
2. Chase Cash Business card and/or Chase Cash Business Unlimited card. I have an LLC so I am hoping that will enhance my chances of being approved, compared to a Sole Prop.
3. IHG Premier card for $89.00. I already have the grandfathered $49.00 card and am planning to keep. The Premier card for $89 would be harder to justify since the annual fee is higher and I prefer Hilton.

I'm not happy about the annual fee increase, but I won't have to pay it until June, 2022. I also have around 12,000 Hyatt points which won't expire as long as I keep the current card and use it periodically.
Old Nov 21, 2020, 9:28 pm
LAX

Wow. It arrived in the mail without any notice at all? Now I am tempted to pick up the phone and call right away to cancel. I had wanted to keep it for the grocery bonus, but it may not be a good idea. But like someone mentioned above, if you don't receive any bonus through this forced upgrade, I can't see how you won't get a SUB if you cancel and apply. Now, whether Chase would approve you for the same card you had previously cancelled may be a different matter.

LAX
Old Nov 21, 2020, 11:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by LAX
Wow. It arrived in the mail without any notice at all? Now I am tempted to pick up the phone and call right away to cancel. I had wanted to keep it for the grocery bonus, but it may not be a good idea. But like someone mentioned above, if you don't receive any bonus through this forced upgrade, I can't see how you won't get a SUB if you cancel and apply. Now, whether Chase would approve you for the same card you had previously cancelled may be a different matter.

LAX
That's my concern now too given how the terms and conditions for the free night state:

To qualify for this bonus offer, account must be open and not in default at the time of fulfillment. This promotional offer is non-transferable. Please allow 4 weeks from the end of the promotion period for the Free Night Award to be issued to your World of Hyatt account at worldofhyatt.com.
So, I called Chase today. I've spent over $4K, so I'm "done" with the promo. However, given what is quoted from the T's and C's, the account must be open to get the night.

Since the promo ends as of December 31, 2020 and the conversion happens as of January 11, 2021, if I cancel even up to January 10, 2021, it appears that I will not get the night.

Again, I feel that this was a deliberate move on Chase's and Hyatt's part - either get the free night or get the SUB but not both.

I am seriously considering canceling the card now and giving both companies a piece of my mind as feedback.

David
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Nov 21, 2020, 11:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Saipan, MP 96950 USA (Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands = the CNMI)
Programs: UA Silver, Hilton Silver. Life: UA .57 MM, United & Admirals Clubs (spousal), Marriott Platinum
I feel that this was a deliberate move on Chase's and Hyatt's part - either get the free night or get the SUB but not both.

I am seriously considering canceling the card now and giving both companies a piece of my mind as feedback.
You've been Bonv°yed! 😮
Or, more precisely, Chased!

Is the grass always greener? 🤔
​​​​​​

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.