Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Hana-Maui Resort (formerly Travaasa Hana Resort) - Joined Hyatt 1 September 2020

Hana-Maui Resort (formerly Travaasa Hana Resort) - Joined Hyatt 1 September 2020

Hide Wikipost
Old Jul 6, 22, 11:06 pm   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: SanDiego1K
Wiki Link
Property is currently a Destination Hotel. It appears destined to be an Alila after renovation

Rooms:
Avoid the Garden view bungalows or partial ocean view bungalows/rooms which are identified with 2-digit room numbers. The Ocean View bungalows are separated from the lobby/garden rooms by a public road/lane and identified by 3-digit room numbers.

Suite upgrade certificate is from a garden view room to a garden view suite. Not recommended.

Double points gives an upgrade to an ocean view suite. Recommended.
Note there are two rows of ocean view bungalows on each side. The front rows (and so better views) are 200-210 and 400-410.
anything from 405-411 would be very good (kacee)

As of 2022, air conditioning is being installed in all rooms.

Food:
Free globalist breakfast at Hana Ranch restaurant, only hotel restaurant open as of Feb 2022
Food trucks provide alternatives to hotel food. Several have recommended Thai food truck. Open daytime hours only. Reports of closing by 4 or 5pm.

General manager as of fall 2020 is Jon Benson, formerly of Hyatt Regency Long Beach and the Park Hyatt Washington DC.
https://www.hospitalitynet.org/appoi.../79020768.html
Still GM in Feb 2022 and email address follows standard Hyatt convention

Print Wikipost

Old Jun 16, 22, 3:16 pm

Originally Posted by Kacee View Post
Personally, I think it's worth two nights, especially given the hassle factor of the drive (which is not so bad as some make out, but not much fun, either). The location is amazing and if just sitting on the deck enjoying the view is not sufficient, there's plenty to explore locally to kill the extra day.
Agreed. I think two nights is just right balance. On our second day, aka only full day in Hana, we did the Pipiwai Trail first thing in the morning, Hamoa Beach after lunch at a leisurely pace, and then relaxed at the resort pool in the afternoon and evening. The crowds were much more manageable before the day trippers got there. Definitely notice the parking lot filled up and the road to the park getting more traffic on the way back to town. Yes, you could also get to Pipiwai Trail and Hamoa Beach on morning you head back to the leeward side, but it's nice when you don't have to pack up and checkout the same morning.

Last edited by EmpressRouge; Jun 16, 22 at 3:23 pm
Old Jun 16, 22, 6:36 pm

Location: Live: PWM/KBXM/BGR; Work: DCA/DFW/Everywhere; Play: LAS/AUA/MIA/MLE
Programs: AA EXP, DL PM, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Ambassador/LTP, Nat'l Exec Elite, mlife Noir, LEYE Gold
Originally Posted by Kacee View Post
Personally, I think it's worth two nights, especially given the hassle factor of the drive (which is not so bad as some make out, but not much fun, either). The location is amazing and if just sitting on the deck enjoying the view is not sufficient, there's plenty to explore locally to kill the extra day.
Oh I definitely agree that 2 nights is the right answer for pretty much everyone, but pWei seems like an exception who would be underenthused.
Kacee likes this.
Old Jun 17, 22, 6:34 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WOH - Globalist, HHonors - Gold, Marriott - Gold
Does anyone know how generous they are with late check-out? Since it's a resort property, they are technically excluded from a guaranteed 4 pm Globalist check-out, and most other Hawaii Hyatts have been very stingy. We are staying here our last night before heading back to the mainland, and have a redeye flight.

Also - since we are heading to the airport, we don't want to risk taking the south route back and getting a flat, and were contemplating taking the south route to Hana instead - I'm assuming this is not recommended without an SUV? Any issues (other than narrow and unpaved road sections) with that plan? I am comfortable driving in rough conditions and have off-road driving experience.
Old Jun 17, 22, 7:27 am
Marriott 5+ Badge

Programs: Delta Diamond, Bonvoy something good; sometimes other things too
Originally Posted by sch_flyer View Post
Does anyone know how generous they are with late check-out? Since it's a resort property, they are technically excluded from a guaranteed 4 pm Globalist check-out, and most other Hawaii Hyatts have been very stingy. We are staying here our last night before heading back to the mainland, and have a redeye flight.

Also - since we are heading to the airport, we don't want to risk taking the south route back and getting a flat, and were contemplating taking the south route to Hana instead - I'm assuming this is not recommended without an SUV? Any issues (other than narrow and unpaved road sections) with that plan? I am comfortable driving in rough conditions and have off-road driving experience.
We were denied late check out.

Going counterclockwise to Hana is an option. The significant downside to it is that you are on the water/cliff side of the road throughout, which isn't a big deal on the not-that-bad road on the north side of the island, but could be stressful in places passing other cars in the bad parts on the south side. An SUV is not particularly required (and a large SUV may be actively unhelpful given the size of the road). There's also more traffic going clockwise since it's more common to come back via the south side, so potentially more vehicles to pass on the narrow road segments if you go against the grain.
sch_flyer likes this.
Old Jun 17, 22, 8:38 am
skj

Programs: UA 2MM, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Gold

We didn't ask about late check out and left Hana around noon to head back to Kahalui and our late night flight departure. We had hoped to get in front of the "day-trippers" returning back from Hana. While I think we were mostly successful in avoiding being in the middle of the heavier afternoon traffic, we still managed to get stuck for about 4 hours, waiting for a multi-car accident to be cleared. Had we waited until 4 or 5pm to depart Hana and encountered the same delay, we would have missed our flight home.
Old Jun 17, 22, 10:05 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA EXP; AS 75K; WN A List; UA 1K 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott AMB; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by skj View Post
We didn't ask about late check out and left Hana around noon to head back to Kahalui and our late night flight departure.
Last trip, we also left around noon, and with over six hours to kill in Kahalui, burned a cert at the Courtyard.
Old Jun 17, 22, 10:30 am

Programs: AA EXP, DL PM, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Ambassador/LTP, Nat'l Exec Elite, mlife Noir, LEYE Gold
It's nowhere near as demanding as off-road driving. The road to Crystal Mill, Colorado, as an example, requires a high-clearance vehicle because of rocks, occasional deep water, etc. The off-road paths to the natural pools on Aruba require 4 wheel drive. On a scale of 1 to 10, if Crystal Mill is a 7 and Aruba is a 9 (and 5th Avenue is a 1), this rings in around a 4. Locals in 1990s Ford sedans drive the road no problem -- as long as there's no active flooding.

All that said, highly recommend keeping clockwise throughout, it's a much calmer experience. Because there are so many people who drive both segments of it clockwise, you'll constantly be passing people if you swim upstream, whereas on our drive southbound, we only encountered a handful of vehicles driving against us.
sch_flyer likes this.

Last edited by platbrownguy; Jun 17, 22 at 11:17 am
Old Jun 18, 22, 11:40 am

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Mosaic
Thanks for your comments. Two nights does sound like it would give us the intended island time atmosphere. Will likely be a weekday so hopefully crowds aren't too bad and I can snag a good upgrade to something waterfront at Hana, or close to it.

Have 2 nights booked at 25/30k at the Andaz. Considering just cancelling the 30k night on Tuesday, checking out late on Monday and doing 2 nights at Hana instead. It does mean I'll likely be driving upstream.
Old Jun 18, 22, 1:23 pm

Originally Posted by pWei View Post
It does mean I'll likely be driving upstream.
No it doesn't. The clockwise route is still shorter even from the Andaz. Keep in mind that you can't just "cut across" from Wailea to Route 37 in Keokea, you have to go all the way up towards the airport anyhow. (If you look on a map, you might see a very nice road going across, Kealakapu Road, but it's privately owned by Oprah Winfrey, no public access -- so, that's an extra 30+ miles for you, buddy.)

So unless you have a good reason, I would go clockwise to Hana, spend your two nights, then keep going clockwise around the south on your way out.
Old Jun 18, 22, 3:49 pm

Programs: AA EXP; AS 75K; WN A List; UA 1K 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott AMB; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by platbrownguy View Post
No it doesn't. The clockwise route is still shorter even from the Andaz. Keep in mind that you can't just "cut across" from Wailea to Route 37 in Keokea, you have to go all the way up towards the airport anyhow. (If you look on a map, you might see a very nice road going across, Kealakapu Road, but it's privately owned by Oprah Winfrey, no public access -- so, that's an extra 30+ miles for you, buddy.)

So unless you have a good reason, I would go clockwise to Hana, spend your two nights, then keep going clockwise around the south on your way out.
Yep. Only one way out of Wailea.
Old Jun 18, 22, 9:59 pm
Community Director

I attempted to apply a suite upgrade to an upcoming stay and learned that the allowed suite is garden view. That doesn't sound interesting. Is there any reason that I should apply it?
Old Jun 18, 22, 11:44 pm

Originally Posted by SanDiego1K View Post
I attempted to apply a suite upgrade to an upcoming stay and learned that the allowed suite is garden view. That doesn't sound interesting. Is there any reason that I should apply it?
Personally this is one property that I would do anything I could to get an ocean front bungalow. If it is a low demand period and you're a globalist, they might upgrade you anyways, but if I'm driving all the way out there, I wouldn't take that chance and would make sure I was booked into one. It's a world apart from the other rooms and we thought was an incredible experience, unlike any other Hyatt we've stayed at. The deluxe ocean front bungalow is typically bookable as a premium suite using points, cash+points, or standard rate+9,000 points (in addition to just cash options). The cash difference between the garden suite vs lower level bungalows isn't huge the nights I looked at, so wonder if they'd let you pay the difference to upgrade?

And I looked at the base room vs the standard suite a TSU books into, and oddly the suite is smaller than the base room (697-835-square-foot for the base room vs. 664-square-foot for the suite)!
platbrownguy and Kacee like this.
Old Jun 19, 22, 1:04 am

Don't bother​​. I book​ed a base room and got upgraded to the garden suite ​​​even though I have zero status with Hyatt (unless you count "member"). I think I got upgrade just for booking direct.

Originally Posted by oc2005 View Post
And I looked at the base room vs the standard suite a TSU books into, and oddly the suite is smaller than the base room (697-835-square-foot for the base room vs. 664-square-foot for the suite)!
I think the garden suite are end units or in duplex, so you get a bigger lanai and more privacy than the base room?
Old Jun 19, 22, 8:42 am

The garden view rooms and suites are a different section of the property, across the road from the ocean view bungalows, which are set on a grass covered hillside that rolls down to the ocean. They're also different construction - concrete bunker style vs. wooden bungalows.

Concur with oc2005, you really, really want to be oceanside. The ocean views here are stunning and a very large part of what makes this property special. I would not apply a TSU, I would instead do everything possible to get confirmed ocean view side, preferably in one of the true ocean view bungalows (specific units are discussed in this thread, and there is a substantial difference between the good ones and the not so good ones).
Old Jun 20, 22, 11:01 am
Community Director

Thank you for your encouragement to use points to book a premium ocean front bungalow. I have now done so. I also went thru the entire thread in search of room numbers that are recommended. Would those of you who know audit what I picked up? I clearly have contradictions in my information.

Note there are two rows of ocean view bungalows on each side. The front rows (and so better views) are 200-210 and 400-410.
Specific room numbers noted: room 220 or 311 or 406 or 408 or 411

I also encourage each of you to add to the wiki, especially about nearby sights to see or beaches to enjoy.
platbrownguy likes this.

Search this Thread