Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Hyatt House Virginia Beach / Oceanfront REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 10, 2020, 7:33 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA GLD, AA GLD 1MM, Hyatt Glob, Marriott LT Titanium

Mods, I sure thought there was a thread on this hotel but can’t seem to find it.

Just spent five nights at this property following a stay at the Quirk Charlottesville.
  • breakfast at this hotel has always been a low point and in the current environment is a brown paper bag with pop tarts, a granola bar, and a muffin plus applesauce or fruit. No coffee.
  • we drove here from the Quirk Charlottesville (which was immaculate) and didn’t notice too much the evening we arrived, except a layer of dust in the room. My wife attributed this to no recent guests. The next day in the sunlight, we saw the floor was covered with dog hair; my wife found a plastic spoon and dirty tissues under the ottoman; and empty candy wrappers on top of the couch. This suggested the room was never really thoroughly cleaned. My wife asked for a vacuum to be sent up and, since housekeepers were not entering rooms, she vacuumed the room herself. We are not big complainers but my wife did e-mail the manager about this, and they refunded the first night’s stay. I didn’t notice any special cleaning, compared to the Quirk which had a lot of special cleaning ongoing.
  • we’ve stayed here around 8-10 times since it opened and never any hint of a globalist upgrade. The hotel is continuing to charge a $20 resort fee (waived for Globalists) despite the pool, its only real amenity, being closed. Crazy. We did get a 2PM checkout.
  • The hotel continues to offer valet parking although we parked on the street to avoid the valet situation. Mask usage was mixed; however, the beach itself wasn’t too crowded

In general, the Hyatt House is nothing special and really only worthwhile for the location. I prefer the Sheraton, but stayed here for the triple points promotion.

Last edited by River in Sight; Jul 10, 2020 at 8:05 pm
Old May 31, 2021, 9:13 am
Original Poster

Popped into this hotel this weekend while staying at the new Delta way up shore drive. Current breakfast situation remains grab and go only but they are offering hot food; menu is below. Most of the former breakfast area has been enclosed and turned into a restaurant; there are a few tables remaining for breakfast use though no one was using them.

Breakfast Menu
Old May 31, 2021, 8:31 pm

Programs: DA Diamond(1 MM), Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador/Charter Ambassador, Hyatt Glob, Hertz Presidents Circle
Stayed at the Delta in Norfolk a few weeks ago. Liked it a lot. No frills, but nice rooms and a good location.
Old Oct 2, 2021, 11:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by River in Sight
.....we’ve stayed here around 8-10 times since it opened and never any hint of a globalist upgrade..........In general, the Hyatt House is nothing special and really only worthwhile for the location. I prefer the Sheraton, but stayed here for the triple points promotion.
That's discouraging, especially for repeat Globalist guests.
Old Mar 20, 2022, 8:08 am
Original Poster

Just noticed a new Hyatt Place will be opening a few blocks north, immediately north of the Sheraton (there was an old low rise hotel there that had been torn down). Can’t find much online but looks like it will be a Category 5. Good to have another choice but I’m not expecting too much.
Old Jun 3, 2022, 10:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador: World of Hyatt

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, UA Silver, dirt elsewhere
I will be staying here shortly and will post a review. I will say I was upgraded from a studio suite to a 1 bedroom suit on an award stay. I did not have to use a suite upgrade cert.
River in Sight likes this.
Old Jun 12, 2022, 9:37 am

Stay completed We arrived late afternoon on a Saturday and our room was ready. As I noted above, we were upgraded in advance to a 1 bedroom on a corner on a high floor with 2 queen beds. We were on an award stay and did not have to use a suite upgrade certificate, though I offered to. The room was enormous and had windows on all sides and sliders to a lanai through the very large bedroom with a full ocean view. Parking is $20 in the garage around the corner on floors 6,7, and 8 for hotel guests. The destination fee is $20. Parking is waived for globalists on award stays, and the destination fee for globalists on paid & award stays. Both charges appeared on my folio each morning, but magically disappeared in a few hours We definitely were comfortable, actually, more than comfortable.

There is a full kitchen, including a dishwasher (!!!!), a cooktop, and a convection microwave. There were plenty of utensils, though we were short a few dishes. We didn't need them, so we didn't ask for more. The rooms were all very clean and in good working order. There is a supermarket a block away.

The breakfast was exactly as noted above in the image above. It was food. Not good, not bad. We had a combination of their food and our own purchased at the market.

There is an indoor pool only on the ground level. We didn't use it, but saw others did. The beach is steps away on the boardwalk with an access stairway right in front of the hotel, making it really convenient.

Housekeeping is cut back - though globalists can have it daily if needed. We put out our garbage daily and it is picked up frequently. Ditto for towels. You have to call for replacements, but they are delivered very promptly. We didn't have any housekeeping at all, since we left after 5 nights (instead of 7 as planned) because we had to get home by Friday. Their policy is to do a full housekeeping on the 4th day of the stay and will call to confirm if you want it. We refused because we were leaving.

We had 2 small dogs with us who also loved the room. The layout was "L" shaped and they loved the run from the living room all the way to the sliders in the bedroom The hotel had LOTS of dogs and is very dog friendly. Most of them were small. There is a $75 pet fee, and after the 6th night, they add $100 for a thorough cleaning. Our dogs are pad trained and used them in the bathroom. We carry disinfectants and cleaners to make sure we don't leave any kind of a mess (nor do we want to step in it if they miss). When we mentioned it to a front desk person, they were shocked and said all guests should do the same Since neither shed, it's not likely anyone will ever know there were dogs in there They are very good at finding things that fall behind furniture that most people and dogs can't find. They found a lithium battery and an elastic hair tie. Thankfully, we got them away from them.

Everyone at the hotel was super nice, and even though there is no luggage service, they do have someone in the lobby to help load and unload your car. Upon our arrival, the person there even helped my husband to the room because he had the luggage and the dogs while I parked the car.

I wouldn't hesitate to go back.
Markie, falcon9xr and pWei like this.
Old Sep 9, 2022, 11:19 am

We made a last minute trip on our way home from Charleston. I booked as an award for the end of August and used a suite upgrade this time. I had many and since the hotel treated us so well last time, I wanted them to get paid this time. I sent a note to the hotel asking for the same room and it was granted.

Nothing has changed since my review above, except now you have the ability to decline daily room service, which we did. It is a very relaxing hotel and the quiet end of the boardwalk. Our purpose was to chill out and stare at the ocean for 3 days, and that's exactly what we did.

The only real change is this time, our dog found an Apple air pod, again, behind the bed, and we couldn't even return it since he chewed it open. That's the only issue we have with the room, it is too easy for things to fall behind the bed and little mouths easily find them. We had to stuff the throw pillows from the living room into the space where they could get.

So hotel is down a lithium battery, hair tie, and air pod
Old Sep 9, 2022, 8:54 pm

Programs: UA Plat MM, AA Gold MM, Marriott LTT, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by Mary2e
We made a last minute trip on our way home from Charleston.
Where did you stay in Charleston? We've only been stopping in Savannah because of the Andaz and it's closer to I-95. But my wife has mentioned Charleston.
Old Sep 10, 2022, 8:16 am

Originally Posted by CIT85
Where did you stay in Charleston? We've only been stopping in Savannah because of the Andaz and it's closer to I-95. But my wife has mentioned Charleston.
A friends condo

We've skipped Charleston en route to Florida because the Hyatts are not close to I-95. We stop at the Andaz in Savannah as well. I would only go to Charleston if I were staying a few days.
Old Sep 10, 2022, 4:58 pm
Original Poster

I booked as an award for the end of August and used a suite upgrade this time.
I had no idea suite upgrades could be used here. Very good to know for the future. Thanks for the review!
pWei likes this.
Old Sep 15, 2022, 9:39 am

I had no idea suite upgrades could be used here. Very good to know for the future. Thanks for the review!
It seems that HH and HP that have 1 bedroom suites will accept the SUA. I've used them in both brands.
Old Aug 1, 2023, 6:18 pm
Original Poster

we were upgraded in advance to a 1 bedroom on a corner on a high floor with 2 queen beds…
Just completed a 2-night stay here; booked a base room the day prior to arrival for around $300/nt. I saw in the app I was upgraded shortly after booking to the one bedroom QQ suite, the same room Mary2e describes.

I was able to checkin around 2pm and 4pm late checkout was proactively offered. The room was really nice for a Hyatt House. I appreciated the HVAC was dead quiet. There is jet noise (F-18s blasting overhead every 1-2 minutes from Oceana for much of the day today) and noise from concerts but that’s true everywhere on the oceanfront.

I got the feeling the hotel doesn’t get that many Globalists; I saw the sheet for late checkouts and I was the only name on it.

My last stay was 2020 and I swore it off for a couple years as it wasn’t a great stay. However, the room was spotless this time and very comfortable. Breakfast remains a low point but at least the staff is friendly.

1BR Suite: living room

1BR Suite: Kitchen

Bathroom

1BR Suite: QQ bedroom

View from balcony
iluvdoco likes this.

Last edited by River in Sight; Aug 1, 2023 at 6:35 pm
Old Aug 1, 2023, 7:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Just completed a 2-night stay here; booked a base room the day prior to arrival for around $300/nt. I saw in the app I was upgraded shortly after booking to the one bedroom QQ suite, the same room Mary2e describes.

I was able to checkin around 2pm and 4pm late checkout was proactively offered. The room was really nice for a Hyatt House. I appreciated the HVAC was dead quiet. There is jet noise (F-18s blasting overhead every 1-2 minutes from Oceana for much of the day today) and noise from concerts but that’s true everywhere on the oceanfront.

I got the feeling the hotel doesn’t get that many Globalists; I saw the sheet for late checkouts and I was the only name on it.

My last stay was 2020 and I swore it off for a couple years as it wasn’t a great stay. However, the room was spotless this time and very comfortable. Breakfast remains a low point but at least the staff is friendly.
VA Beach is looking good this time of year. That's a very nice suite too.
River in Sight likes this.

Last edited by Markie; Aug 2, 2023 at 1:17 am Reason: Please don't include pics within quote

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.