Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Is it the end of Buffets in Restaurants & Regency Clubs etc

Is it the end of Buffets in Restaurants & Regency Clubs etc

Old Jun 15, 20, 3:26 pm
Ambassador: World of Hyatt
Original Poster

Question Is it the end of the road for Buffets in Restaurants & Regency Clubs ?

How does everyone feel about the death of the popular buffets in Hyatt hotels restaurants and club lounges? I wonder if its the end for years or ever?

https://www.eater.com/2020/6/15/2128...-travel-dining

Last edited by 777 global mile hound; Jun 15, 20 at 4:09 pm
Old Jun 15, 20, 5:00 pm

Originally Posted by 777 global mile hound View Post
How does everyone feel about the death of the popular buffets in Hyatt hotels restaurants and club lounges? I wonder if its the end for years or ever?

https://www.eater.com/2020/6/15/2128...-travel-dining
Having personally observed atrocious behavior pre COVID from licking utensils and reusing to grabbing contents of entire bowls and said perps seeing nothing wrong with it, and staff enforcing no decorum, I do think weíve seen the end of it. I hope it doesnít become an excuse to scale back the food offering.
Old Jun 15, 20, 6:00 pm
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

They won't die out in Asia at least.
Old Jun 15, 20, 6:23 pm

I say good riddance to the buffet. What this means for the clubs, in general, I think is a much bigger question....
Old Jun 15, 20, 6:39 pm

Originally Posted by Aventine View Post
They won't die out in Asia at least.
In the clubs, if they are serving you from a buffet (and not letting you serve yourself) is it really still a buffet?

At least the business model in Asia supports this kind of service in clubs (as people actually seem to pay for club access in Asia) - elsewhere, where next to nobody pays for the club, I wonder what they will do... I don't think they will pay for the extra people to staff those clubs and provide the level of service that is being offered in Asia....
Old Jun 15, 20, 6:46 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by txhyattlvr View Post
In the clubs, if they are serving you from a buffet (and not letting you serve yourself) is it really still a buffet?
To me, yes. I wish all buffets would make this transition. It would make guests more comfortable coming back to buffets in the current climate.

I donít personally like Hyatt Buffets as the offerings tend to sit out much too long. When Iíve ordered the same menu items offered in the buffet off the menu itís tasted much better ordered rather than on buffet. I wouldnít be hurt too much if Hyatt ended Buffets. Club Lounges would be tricky though as itís very similar to a traditional buffet.
Old Jun 15, 20, 9:37 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Matt4200 View Post
To me, yes. I wish all buffets would make this transition. It would make guests more comfortable coming back to buffets in the current climate.

I don’t personally like Hyatt Buffets as the offerings tend to sit out much too long. When I’ve ordered the same menu items offered in the buffet off the menu it’s tasted much better ordered rather than on buffet. I wouldn’t be hurt too much if Hyatt ended Buffets. Club Lounges would be tricky though as it’s very similar to a traditional buffet.
Fully agree with you where the buffet isn't first class.When its of high quality and the turnover and rotation are good I'm ok with it.fully
However there frquently seems to be someone grabbing food,bread etc with their bare hands
and putting it back.Not just kids either.Now with Covid 19 I don't think hotels can look the other way anymore.
The thought of Hyatt Place especially is a no go for me with their open communal bowls of yogurt exposed to the air.Not that I stayed at many before
Every step I take back to travel will take scrutiny in seeing what i am comfortable with and access how the hotels are managing all this ..
I too prefer a good made to order breakfasts especially as the buffets even before the virus was getting skimpy
with less variety in some markets.Hotels love buffets as they can cut down on labor and recycle some of the old food they might other throw away from the day before
I suppose they can keep clubs open with sealed beverages and such.In the end it will likely all depend on if a vaccine or cure could come about in the months ahead
What a nightmare for the hotels to manage!
Old Jun 15, 20, 10:55 pm

there is already a thread exactly like this on marriott forum - do we really need another one here? a short summary: some people like buffets and some don't. same applies to hotel restaurants in general.

btw i do recall a recent post that GH HK breakfast buffet is alive and well (thankfully!)
Old Jun 15, 20, 10:56 pm

Programs: SQ, LH, BA, IHG Spire AMB, HH Gold, Accor Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
These days, aside from the obvious hygiene concerns even pre-COVID (as other posters highlighted as well), I'm just not that keen to stuff myself on a buffet any longer. Too much food wastage from it even if the kitchen is trying to manage it well. Now whether a non-buffet type a la carte ordering can scale for a normal breakfast restaurant at a 300-500 keys (aka rooms) hotel is a different story.

When it comes to Clubs I think it is feasible though and I much rather prefer Club experiences like at certain Asian Inter-Continental hotels (Bali, Bangkok, Danang, Ho Chi Minh, Singapore, etc.) where there is a small buffet with most eaten / requested items (usually cold ones + fruits) and then a menu with a number of hot dishes that can be ordered a la carte. Usually higher quality dishes come out and less food waste though takes a bit longer which is fine for a relaxing vacation, but may be less so for business stays. I much prefer that, e.g. at IC Bali vs. GH Bali or HR Bali (Sanur). YMMV.
Old Jun 15, 20, 11:23 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by azepine00 View Post
there is already a thread exactly like this on marriott forum - do we really need another one here? a short summary: some people like buffets and some don't. same applies to hotel restaurants in general.

btw i do recall a recent post that GH HK breakfast buffet is alive and well (thankfully!)
In my biased opinion being the OP absolutely its all about Hyatt here!
Having said that good to see your post and mention if accurate about the Grand Hyatt breakfast buffet
one of the better ones with Hyatt worldwide IMO Perhaps the buffet may never go?
I'll drink to that if its a good one
Old Jun 16, 20, 12:06 am
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
FWIW: Hashed out a bit over in Marriott forum: Are buffets in the restaurants and lounges a thing of the past????

David
Old Jun 16, 20, 2:29 am
Suspended

IMO, the discussion should be less about GH, PH, Unbound Collection and such. Upscale and luxury brands will find a way. Either they'll provide attractive non-buffet offerings or they'll switch to the served variant in which a waiter prepares a plate for you per your instructions. Both can be attractive and tasteful.

I'm more concerned about the lower end of the spectrum. What about a HP which has a simple, but nice and convenient buffet? I mean, in some places unskilled labor is cheap and people don't mind plastic trays and paper cups as much. So they may find an alternative without substantially cutting down on what's on offer. But what about places where labor is expensive? There might be no way to make a restaurant turn a profit! (Because profitability crucially hinges on a non labor-intensive breakfast buffet.) What if they scale down to a bare-bones, Starsbucks style offering? Wouldn't be to my liking!
Old Jun 16, 20, 6:48 am

Programs: FORMER Hyatt Diamond Loyalist, now Globallist
Originally Posted by azepine00 View Post

I'm not going to the Marriott thread in a PRE or POST Coronavirus world, so yes.

Never loved a buffet, went to the Aria one in January, just wasn't my thing anymore. When I was much younger it was fine. I used to eat a tray of SIZZILEAN from the Circus Circus buffet, that my parents slapped down their hard earned 2.99$ per person.

I do enjoy most Hyatt clubs. Hope they stay.
Old Jun 16, 20, 7:11 am

Originally Posted by creativeguess1 View Post

I do enjoy most Hyatt clubs. Hope they stay.
The clubs will stay in places where it makes financial sense. Asia is about the only place I can imagine. Beyond that I donít expect city-based clubs to reopen until a) COVID is no longer an issue and b) business travel has rebounded. And yes, Iíve talked to some managers about this.
Old Jun 16, 20, 9:21 am

Programs: UA 1K MM, AA Gold MM, Marriott LTT, Hyatt Globalist, HH Silver
Originally Posted by txhyattlvr View Post
The clubs will stay in places where it makes financial sense. Asia is about the only place I can imagine. Beyond that I donít expect city-based clubs to reopen until a) COVID is no longer an issue and b) business travel has rebounded. And yes, Iíve talked to some managers about this.
IF full service Hyatts offer alternatives to Club closures for Globalists, then I will stay with them. IF clubs are closed and no alternative breakfast and evening options are offered, then the whole experience is compromised. That's why I am in no hurry to resume traveling and staying at hotels.

I would hate to see buffets going away in general. The breakfast buffet at PH Vendome is excellent, very high quality, plus menu items. Removing the buffet and going all menu would detract from the overall breakfast and difficult to justify the 50 euro price.
MSPeconomist likes this.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: