Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

No extension for free night awards that expire in 2021?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 12, 2020, 4:39 pm
Original Poster

Hi All,
I have a free night cert that expires in 05/2021. Am I correct that my cert will not get extended? Any certs that expires in 2020 will get a new expiration date of 12/31/2021?
https://www.hyatt.com/info/coronavirus-statement#woh-member
What is their reason behind this? That makes no sense at all. All certs should at least be extended to end of 2021.
Old Jun 12, 2020, 11:16 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by asdfghjk
Hi All,
I have a free night cert that expires in 05/2021. Am I correct that my cert will not get extended? Any certs that expires in 2020 will get a new expiration date of 12/31/2021?
https://www.hyatt.com/info/coronavir...ent#woh-member
What is their reason behind this? That makes no sense at all. All certs should at least be extended to end of 2021.
Their reasoning is that they feel they’ve already done enough extending status and certs set to expire this year.

There won’t be any further extensions. All of us on here have certificates that expire in 2021 that will not be extended, the vast majority well prior to May 2021.

The best option is just to make use of it, you have another 11 months. The other option is to let it expire then ask for points you’ll get 10k points for a Category 1-4 or 20k for a Category 1-7.
Old Jun 13, 2020, 8:13 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Matt4200
Their reasoning is that they feel they’ve already done enough extending status and certs set to expire this year.

There won’t be any further extensions. All of us on here have certificates that expire in 2021 that will not be extended, the vast majority well prior to May 2021.

The best option is just to make use of it, you have another 11 months. The other option is to let it expire then ask for points you’ll get 10k points for a Category 1-4 or 20k for a Category 1-7.
Thanks.
I​​​ don't know about "done enough". To me Hyatt is the worst between the 4. I think it is fairer to extend every certs to the end of 2021 since most people can not travel until at least beginning of next year.
Regarding exchanging the cert for points, it did not work for me last year (I do not have any status with Hyatt).
Old Jun 13, 2020, 9:19 pm
soy

Programs: various
agree - 2020 is toast in terms of travel and 2021 is not looking great. Hyatt need to just extend everything to 12/21
lowfareair likes this.
Old Jun 13, 2020, 9:32 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by soy
agree - 2020 is toast in terms of travel and 2021 is not looking great. Hyatt need to just extend everything to 12/21
While that’d be amazing for me as I have many Certs I won’t easily be able to use expiring between 1/1/21 and 2/28/21 I don’t think it’s realistic.

I’m debating if I should just take a sporadic trip late this year at Cat 4 property or let them expire and request points.

Though I do plan to stay at least another 15-20 nights this year between Cat 1 and Cat 7 properties. The problem being it’ll be 5 at a Cat 1, 5 at a Cat 5 and 5 at a Cat 7 lol which is problematic for having multiple Category 1-4 Certs expiring.
Brendan likes this.
Old Jun 14, 2020, 10:03 am

Programs: Hilton LTD, Hyatt Glob, Marriott LTTE, AA LTP, Avis PC, National EE, Seabourn DE
Yeah, we all have problems. None of which I can attribute to Hyatt.
tigerwong and MasterPlanner like this.
Old Jun 14, 2020, 10:29 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by hedoman
Yeah, we all have problems. None of which I can attribute to Hyatt.
You are right that it is in no way Hyatt's fault. All we are saying here is that the way Hyatt deals with this problem is sucky compared to the other 3.
Old Jun 14, 2020, 11:16 am

Programs: Hilton LTD, Hyatt Glob, Marriott LTTE, AA LTP, Avis PC, National EE, Seabourn DE
[QUOTE=asdfghjk;32455547. All we are saying here is that the way Hyatt deals with this problem is sucky compared to the other 3.[/QUOTE]

I think using "we" is a bit overstated. You and perhaps a very few others.
LIH Prem likes this.
Old Jun 14, 2020, 1:40 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by hedoman
I think using "we" is a bit overstated. You and perhaps a very few others.
What was overstated? "..we...here.." = I and a couple posters before you in this thread.
Old Jun 14, 2020, 1:47 pm

Programs: Try to be elite again... :)
For curiosity, why you think Hyatt is the worst? I honestly think they are pretty good in quite a lot of changes. Am I not aware of sth?
Old Jun 14, 2020, 2:41 pm

Originally Posted by Tommys888
For curiosity, why you think Hyatt is the worst? I honestly think they are pretty good in quite a lot of changes. Am I not aware of sth?
LOL it’s the worst because he/she isn’t getting their way. Objectively speaking calling Hyatt “the worst” at anything is nothing but B.S.

But if your really feeling that way then Wyndham is calling!
LIH Prem likes this.
Old Jun 14, 2020, 2:59 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Tommys888
Hilton: New certs issues this year have 2 year expiration + can be used any day of the week instead of only on weekends.
IHG: new certs issued this year have 18 month expiration.
Hyatt & Marriott: no extension for certs issued this year.
(Sorry my mistake, Hyatt is not the worst, only tied for the worst spot)

Originally Posted by txhyattlvr
LOL it’s the worst because he/she isn’t getting their way. Objectively speaking calling Hyatt “the worst” at anything is nothing but B.S.

But if your really feeling that way then Wyndham is calling!
I am talking about Hilton, Hyatt, IHG, and Marriott. I am not aware of any Wyndham free night certs.
Old Jun 14, 2020, 3:48 pm

Originally Posted by asdfghjk
Hilton: New certs issues this year have 2 year expiration + can be used any day of the week instead of only on weekends.
IHG: new certs issued this year have 18 month expiration.
Hyatt & Marriott: no extension for certs issued this year.
(Sorry my mistake, Hyatt is not the worst, only tied for the worst spot)

I am talking about Hilton, Hyatt, IHG, and Marriott. I am not aware of any Wyndham free night certs.
Choice is a wonderful thing. Take your business elsewhere.
Old Jun 14, 2020, 4:05 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by txhyattlvr
Choice is a wonderful thing. Take your business elsewhere.
Of course. Unlike you, I am not loyal to any brand. I book where it is better and cheaper.
Old Jun 14, 2020, 7:29 pm

For Hyatt, it's too soon.

This is not the metric I would use to evaluate worst vs best hotel loyalty program. Fine for you, but please recognize that there's other criteria for other people here.

-David

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.