Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Quirk Hotel Charlottesville, VA - left Hyatt 3/31/2022

Quirk Hotel Charlottesville, VA - left Hyatt 3/31/2022

Old Feb 20, 2022, 6:32 pm

Location: The place where it gets so hot in the summer some planes can't take off.
Programs: Marriott LT Titanium, WoH Globalist, National EE, United Platinum
In case anyone is interested, I decided to go ahead and stay a week early and check the place out while it's still a Hyatt
beltway likes this.
Old Feb 20, 2022, 6:36 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by bigshooter
I was actually headed to CVille to see some friends the first week of April and when I saw this hotel right downtown (I think this place was a shell for years before they finally completed it) I thought I'd move the stay up a week and get there while it's still Hyatt (plus burn some Cat 4 certs).

I typically stay at the CY or Draftsman by University Hospital, but this would be more convenient to my friends' house. Should I move my dates up for one last hurrah at this place?
Short answer: yes.

Long answer: Hell, yeah!

The rooms are comfortable, well laid out, and feature individual artworks. The common areasincluding multiple bars, a cafe, and restaurantare beautifully designed & feature even more art, especially in the lower-levels gallery of rotating exhibits from area artists. The service IME is unfailingly gracious and helpful. The property is still very new, so the furnishings are still in near-mint condition. And the location, a 5- or 6-minute walk to the downtown mall, is excellent. (The Omni & the Residence Inn are fractionally closer, but your Hyatt certs wont get you very far at either )

Needless to say, Im a big fan. The DW and I recently burned two cat 4 certs on one last visit and could not have been happier with our stay. I will miss the ability to use a cert or 15K points on a property that routinely commands $350/night and up on weekends.
River in Sight likes this.
Old Mar 13, 2022, 10:28 am

Programs: BA GLD, AA GLD 1MM, Hyatt Glob, Marriott LT Titanium
I realize the utility of this thread is rapidly drawing to a close, so just a brief update from my stay this weekend. I booked a king room on points (paid rates were in the $350 ballpark) and was upgraded to a Queen deluxe, as I mentioned I needed a second bed. The room was quiet and comfortable as usual. I was granted a 4PM checkout with no issues. A large bottle of water and some candies (sort of like giant jelly beans - I thought they were absolutely gross but my wife and son seemed to like them) were in the room waiting with a note.

I spoke with a few employees this weekend; management of the hotel is changing to Retro Hospitality Apr 1 which appears to have a small portfolio of hotels in Virginia. The existing staff are Hyatt employees and were offered the option to stay on, or transfer and remain with Hyatt. Those that I spoke with are remaining with Hyatt and scattering to a number of different properties; one of the longtime front desk agents who I believe is one of the last original employees and always took great care of us will move to the Hotel Revival in Baltimore.

As usual, the Quirk Cafe menu was slightly tweaked and they have a new Avocado Toast with a butternut squash pure which I liked so much I had it both days. The food was excellent. The upstairs area is now open and is a whiskey and cigar bar at night, and available for seating at breakfast.

According to my spreadsheet last night was my 42nd night here since June 2020 and I will really miss having this as an option for an easy getaway from DC.

Waffles

Delicious avocado toast
beltway, paytonc, arlflyer and 1 others like this.

Last edited by River in Sight; Mar 13, 2022 at 11:03 am
Old Mar 13, 2022, 11:00 am

What a coincidence, I am here this weekend too. Also got upgraded to a two bed deluxe room.
River in Sight likes this.
Old Mar 14, 2022, 6:25 am

I am a bit late to the party here because I only dabble in Hyatt and thus don't check the boards too often. That the property is leaving the chain is unfortunate to see but probably not surprising. It was always an outsize value for redemptions and likely became a dumping ground for points / certificate use. Being a Cat 4 when retail rates were pushing $400+ they must have been leaving a lot of margin on the table. Charlottesville's upmarket hotel segment is woefully underserved, and most of the travel is leisure /event driven (parents, weddings, wine) so the loyalty network element probably isn't that much of a factor for driving big dollar business.

I'll be curious to see across the board if we see a growing trend of more chain properties going independent in general in the coming years, as business travel (and thus the number of travelers locked into loyalty networks) normalizes to a lower level than 2019. The increased number of free agents is likely to change the calculate for a lot of these leisure-heavy markets, I'd think.
Old Apr 5, 2022, 6:52 pm

So I know we are talking Hyatt here, but now that this has left Hyatt, can someone tell me the go to solid hotel for a weekend stay? I was all excited for this and looks like I'm too late

Just doing an overnight with in laws to visit family and looking for a pool and nice bar or lounge space if possible for the stay. I know Charlottesville very well (I live in Northern VA, half my friends went to UVA, etc) but never stayed at a hotel there. Reviews are especially all over the place on all the brands... I guess because of the service levels during covid. I have pretty poor status right now at Marriotts and Hiltons (gold)

Thanks!

Thanks
Old Apr 6, 2022, 2:01 pm

Programs: AGR WOH
Just reading this - oh no! These were some of my favorite stays over the past year, and I was planning on another downtown Richmond weekend. That said, Retro Hospitality does a great job; they run the Dairy Market food hall a few blocks from the Quirk, and I was impressed with their Staunton property. Maybe they offered a better deal, maybe they see a future in aggregating some boutiques to sell (a la Two Roads) or to offer as an affiliation deal to a bigger operator.

The nearest Hyatt properties are now either the dull Hyatt Place on Route 29, or the palatial Keswick Hall. Both have pools; I wouldn't say either has a great lounge, but I guess the HP at least has something within walking distance and is likely close to your family. Keswick has a lovely pool but it's more of a destination resort that happens to be near Monticello.

Besides the Quirk, the other boutique options in town (all clustered around The Corner, outside UVa) are Draftsman (a Marriott Autograph), the Graduate, and the Dinsmore Inn; none of these have pools. The large Omni downtown and the Marriott Residence Inn / Fairfield near downtown do have pools.
River in Sight and iluvdoco like this.

Last edited by paytonc; Apr 6, 2022 at 2:10 pm
Old Apr 6, 2022, 4:13 pm

Originally Posted by paytonc
Just reading this - oh no! These were some of my favorite stays over the past year, and I was planning on another downtown Richmond weekend. That said, Retro Hospitality does a great job; they run the Dairy Market food hall a few blocks from the Quirk, and I was impressed with their Staunton property. Maybe they offered a better deal, maybe they see a future in aggregating some boutiques to sell (a la Two Roads) or to offer as an affiliation deal to a bigger operator.

The nearest Hyatt properties are now either the dull Hyatt Place on Route 29, or the palatial Keswick Hall. Both have pools; I wouldn't say either has a great lounge, but I guess the HP at least has something within walking distance and is likely close to your family. Keswick has a lovely pool but it's more of a destination resort that happens to be near Monticello.

Besides the Quirk, the other boutique options in town (all clustered around The Corner, outside UVa) are Draftsman (a Marriott Autograph), the Graduate, and the Dinsmore Inn; none of these have pools. The large Omni downtown and the Marriott Residence Inn / Fairfield near downtown do have pools.
Thanks for the tip! Didn't know that Keswick Hall is an SLH property.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.