Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Getting my benefits if someone else books my room

Old May 29, 2020, 12:18 pm
Original Poster

So we are planning a trip to Maui. My inlaws are paying for the rooms. I am a globalist with Hyatt so I'd like to know if there is a way to still get the benefits of my status even though they are paying for the rooms. I thought about just booking the room, and having them reimburse us, but then the points would go to me. I don't want to take their points.
Old May 29, 2020, 1:12 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Assuming that you are booking an eligible rate (i.e. one on Hyatt.com and not via an OTA or something), you can get status benefits and earn WoH points, but the payment can be tricky, depending on if you're looking to book a prepaid rate or regular/flexible one.

If you're after a prepaid rate, just have your in-laws book on Hyatt.com under your name, enter your WoH number, and pay with their credit card.

If you're after a regular/flexible rate, the credit card entered at booking is usually used for a guarantee, and the credit card being used to pay for the stay might need to be presented at check-in. In this case, one workaround would be to book the room yourself on Hyatt.com, and have your in-laws buy you Hyatt gift cards to cover the cost of your stay.

BTW, strongly suggest checking out Hyatt Prive--I believe all the Hyatt-flagged resorts in Maui participate. As a Globalist, your main benefits would be a confirmed upgrade at booking (with opportunity for further upgrade at check-in) and a resort credit, typically $100. A good Prive agent should be able to sort out the payment details for you--the gift card option should still work. I'm not a Prive agent so have no skin in the game here--just a Globalist who has benefited from this program in the past. More details here in case you're unaware: Hyatt Prive RE-launch - All Prive POSTS HERE PLEASE
Old May 29, 2020, 2:18 pm
skj

Programs: UA 2MM, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by pharpe
So we are planning a trip to Maui. My inlaws are paying for the rooms. I am a globalist with Hyatt so I'd like to know if there is a way to still get the benefits of my status even though they are paying for the rooms. I thought about just booking the room, and having them reimburse us, but then the points would go to me. I don't want to take their points.
It's very easy to transfer WoH points to your in-laws, or any other WoH member. See "Share your points ..." near the middle of the page here https://world.hyatt.com/content/gp/e...hare-gift.html
Old May 29, 2020, 2:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, TK E+, AA PP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond
You may or may not get points if somebody else pays the bill.

However, a Globalist probably gets much better use out of points than non-status members. So you should take the points and book a Guest of Honor for your inlaws whenever they want a nice trip.
Old May 29, 2020, 10:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP LT GLD 1MM, BA GLD, NH/UA*G, Hyatt Dia, Marr Tit LT PLT, IHG Spire,HH Dia, MGM NOIR,Hertz PC
I never ever had a single problem using a credit card in someone elses name to pay for the folio and it's something I do on a regular basis.
jinrop likes this.
Old May 29, 2020, 10:58 pm

Book a Guest of Honor for your in-laws.
Old May 30, 2020, 12:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP LT GLD 1MM, BA GLD, NH/UA*G, Hyatt Dia, Marr Tit LT PLT, IHG Spire,HH Dia, MGM NOIR,Hertz PC
Originally Posted by zack14
Book a Guest of Honor for your in-laws.
How is that related to what he is trying to do? For GOH you have to use your own points. He is asking about them paying for everything.
Old May 30, 2020, 8:30 am

Personally I would book it my name, have them reimburse me. As far the points go, it wouldn't take you more than a minute to fill out Hyatt point combining form after the stay to transfer all the points you receive from your stay to their account. Very simple form and they process it fast.
you both need to sign it
pharpe likes this.
Old May 30, 2020, 9:57 am

If your only concern is the points, I would either use their credit card or have them reimburse you. Use your WOH account number on the booking and just transfer them the earned points once the bill is settled.
Old May 30, 2020, 10:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, TK E+, AA PP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by skywalkerLAX
How is that related to what he is trying to do? For GOH you have to use your own points. He is asking about them paying for everything.
Depending on the room rate, it could be a win-win.

GoH means benefits for all. OP gets cash in exchange for points. (but obviously much more subtle than trying to sell them to a third party)
Old May 31, 2020, 2:57 am

Programs: UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
I guess it would be helpful for the OP to clarify which "points" he wants his in-laws to earn: WoH points from the stay, and/or credit card points from the purchase/transaction. If the former, the OP will get points to their account by virtue of having their Globalist number on file--they could transfer the points via a point transfer form or give them back via a GoH award. If the latter, the OP can either have their in-laws buy a Hyatt gift card to use upon checkout, or try to have the in-laws' credit card used as direct method of payment, per my post above.
Old Jun 2, 2020, 1:19 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
I think it would be classy to thank the parents-in-law by giving them a GoH booking (even if it costs more points than are earned on the stay, but as a Glob, OP probably earns lots of points) rather than transferring points, etc. It would be cleaner to just pay with OP's credit card if possible and have the older folks reimburse it. Then there's no question about Glob benefits or Glob points earning rate.
Old Jun 2, 2020, 1:47 pm

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
I think it would be classy to thank the parents-in-law by giving them a GoH booking (even if it costs more points than are earned on the stay, but as a Glob, OP probably earns lots of points) rather than transferring points, etc. It would be cleaner to just pay with OP's credit card if possible and have the older folks reimburse it. Then there's no question about Glob benefits or Glob points earning rate.
Just thinking how you know the parents-in-law are older
Old Jun 2, 2020, 4:23 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Unless there was a very strange adoption, (allowing for divorce/remarriage and/or blended families) at least one parent or parent-in-law by definition must be older than at least one person in the couple/family.
Old Jun 2, 2020, 4:54 pm

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Unless there was a very strange adoption, (allowing for divorce/remarriage and/or blended families) at least one parent or parent-in-law by definition must be older than at least one person in the couple/family.
No. A spouse could be 67 and another spouse 42. That means there is a good possibility one set of in-laws would actually be younger than a spouse.
Not saying this but the OP could be older than spouse's parents.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.