Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Post-COVID Permanent Closures (or cancelled projects)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 27, 2020, 8:47 am
Original Poster

How about a central place where we keep track of hotels closing permanently or previously announced properties that are cancelled?

Sad to see the H.R. Buffalo is no more.

I suspect there will be more to follow as property owners default on their mortgages/loans...

Personally, I'm worried about the Playa properties (Ziva, Zilara, etc.)...
Old May 27, 2020, 11:14 am

Playa should be fine. They're selling off two of there Jewel resorts for $60 million, and they borrowed another $40 million. They've cut costs, and have a huge amount of assets they can borrow against if they need to.
Old May 27, 2020, 12:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, TK E+, AA PP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by txhyattlvr

I suspect there will be more to follow as property owners default on their mortgages/loans...
Property owners default on loans --> banks own a hotel. Banks don't like operating hotels so they will probably contract the management to the chain whose name is already on the side of the building.

In very few situations will an empty building be the final result...
Old May 27, 2020, 1:39 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by craigthemif
Property owners default on loans --> banks own a hotel. Banks don't like operating hotels so they will probably contract the management to the chain whose name is already on the side of the building.

In very few situations will an empty building be the final result...
Whether they remain Hyatt's is another story. If the property owner goes BK then the management contract can likely be terminated....
Old Apr 2, 2022, 6:02 pm
Suspended
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Delta Gold Medallion, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond
I think 2023 will have a ton of re-brandings and new developments. But for closures/sell-offs, probably only a few? Just my assumption from the pent-up demand in travel bookings. Who knows how long this will sustain

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.