Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

New To Hyatt.. Is Transferring From Chase UR to Hyatt a good plan?

New To Hyatt.. Is Transferring From Chase UR to Hyatt a good plan?

Old May 22, 20, 8:41 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by neo_781 View Post
Not exactly.

Setting aside the temporary polices that Hyatt has enacted due to Covid-19, when you make a reservation it comes with a cancellation date (same as with paid rates). This is typically 24 or 48 hours but can be longer for some properties, If you cancel the reservation before this deadline the points will be returned to your account with no penalties. If you no show or don't cancel before the cancellation deadline your points will be returned but you will be charged the cancellation fee that you agreed to when you made the reservation (this is typically the cash amount of a 1 night stay but does vary).

If you're keen to learn more, check out the Hyatt website with and head for the terms and conditions

https://help.hyatt.com/en/hyatt-term...erms.html#/IIB

In Section II ... 4. Points Deduction; Cancellation and No-Shows.
While that is technically true, I've had a dozen or more stays that I've canceled at the last minute (a few even after the check-in time) and never had issues getting my points back. YMMV, but unlike airlines the hotels give a lot more flexibility/leeway in enforcing their rules.
Brendan likes this.
Old May 22, 20, 8:42 am

Programs: AA PLT, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by christianj View Post
I always double check to make sure the hotel I want to redeem at isn't available via the UR Travel booking portal for less UR points than Hyatt is asking for from the GP side. Have seen this more on the higher end hotel side when prices are not ridiculous but I still want to use points.....redemptions via the portal end up costing less than moving the points to Hyatt to book there.
That is a good tip, thanks for sharing. Many here seem so locked into assuming that transferring UR to Hyatt is always outsized value and wouldn't think to cross check.

Regards
Brendan and christianj like this.
Old May 22, 20, 9:11 am

Programs: HH Diamond, MR Plat
Remember that using Chase points puts you in the clutches of OTA customer support. For me, the difference in points has to be pretty dramatic to make up for the benefit of a direct Hyatt booking vs a third party.
Brendan likes this.
Old May 22, 20, 10:30 am

Programs: AA EP, UA Gold-MM, UA 1K (former), GS (former),SPG LT Platinum, Hyatt Diamond, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by jameswes View Post
While that is technically true, I've had a dozen or more stays that I've canceled at the last minute (a few even after the check-in time) and never had issues getting my points back. YMMV, but unlike airlines the hotels give a lot more flexibility/leeway in enforcing their rules.
Good point, that does indeed sometimes happen but I would just suggest to the OP or newbies to Hyatt to not count on this as its a gesture of good will and by no means guarnteed.
Old May 22, 20, 10:32 am

Programs: AA EP, UA Gold-MM, UA 1K (former), GS (former),SPG LT Platinum, Hyatt Diamond, HH Diamond
I always double check to make sure the hotel I want to redeem at isn't available via the UR Travel booking portal for less UR points than Hyatt is asking for from the GP side. Have seen this more on the higher end hotel side when prices are not ridiculous but I still want to use points.....redemptions via the portal end up costing less than moving the points to Hyatt to book there.
Do WOH Hyatt stays booked through the Chase portal come with status benefits? Maybe not matter to the GP or the OP since they have no status and thus less reasons to book direct but for people with some status benefits the extra points could be worth it.
Old May 22, 20, 11:59 am

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by neo_781 View Post
Do WOH Hyatt stays booked through the Chase portal come with status benefits? Maybe not matter to the GP or the OP since they have no status and thus less reasons to book direct but for people with some status benefits the extra points could be worth it.
They do not, since the Chase portal is really just a mask for an OTA (Expedia), which cannot book the "eligible rates" needed for status benefits and points accrual.
neo_781 and TSTraveler like this.
Old May 22, 20, 1:40 pm

Programs: AS MVP, BA
I've transferred a lot of UR to Hyatt (probably 150k-200k) over the years. I find it to be tremendous value and have scored decent upgrades as an explorist. Hyatt does have a smaller footprint than Marriott and Hilton. Many of their Cat 1's are going to be in places you won't want to vacation, although I did get a decent Cat 1 in Bali recently. The times when I have found Hyatt point to really shine is during peak travel periods and around big events. That is where they will save you money and you'll see big CPP. If that's how you travel then I'd say make the transfer.

That being said, flying is going to comeback and their should be some decent awards available between now and then. I've never xferred to United because of their limited flights to my home airport.
Old May 22, 20, 6:40 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.021MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CWC Au-197; CCC Elite*; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by txhyattlvr View Post
Also keep in mind that using points eliminates paying Resort Fees
To me, this is the single most valuable feature of WoH points.
Old May 22, 20, 7:15 pm

Programs: AA EXP LT GLD 1MM, BA Gold, NH/UA*G, Hyatt Dia, SPG Plat LT, HH Dia, MGM NOIR, Hertz PC
This way you give up on all status related benefits and elite qualifying night credit. Not worth it to me, let alone when something goes wrong.
Old May 22, 20, 7:54 pm

Originally Posted by skywalkerLAX View Post
This way you give up on all status related benefits and elite qualifying night credit. Not worth it to me, let alone when something goes wrong.
Just book a suite or premium suite with points and you’ve hit one of the biggest benefits you’d otherwise get—at least for those with less than Globalist status and anyone not likely to reach the next tier of status anyway.
Old May 22, 20, 8:13 pm

Programs: AA EXP LT GLD 1MM, BA Gold, NH/UA*G, Hyatt Dia, SPG Plat LT, HH Dia, MGM NOIR, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by TSTraveler View Post
Just book a suite or premium suite with points and you’ve hit one of the biggest benefits you’d otherwise get—at least for those with less than Globalist status and anyone not likely to reach the next tier of status anyway.
Correct, one more argument not to use UR for direct bookings because the headline price for suites is always overpriced while points redemptions for suites can be a really good deal.

As Globalist I'd never do suite redemptions for obvious reasons.
TSTraveler likes this.
Old May 23, 20, 6:49 am

Correct, one more argument not to use UR for direct bookings because the headline price for suites is always overpriced while points redemptions for suites can be a really good deal.

As Globalist I'd never do suite redemptions for obvious reasons.
Amazingly, it turns out that not everyone is Globalist and fretting about "re-qualifying." I don't think the poster was claiming using UR points directly (rather than transferring) is the "best" or "only" way, but rather another way, that may or may not, on occasion be with checking.

Regards
TSTraveler likes this.
Old May 24, 20, 11:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: WN CP, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by scubadu View Post
Amazingly, it turns out that not everyone is Globalist...
A whole lot of people ought to be shooting for it. They don't know what they are missing.
skywalkerLAX and cmjaffe like this.
Old May 24, 20, 8:58 pm

Originally Posted by toomanybooks View Post
A whole lot of people ought to be shooting for it. They don't know what they are missing.
Agreed. Although 60 EQN are tough to stem for most. With lots of spend maybe possible via the CC for regular stays are hard for leisure travelers.

In that case I usually tell people to just go for Hilton Diamond.
Old Yesterday, 8:08 am

Originally Posted by toomanybooks View Post
This recommendation is highly, highly personal and depends on what one values, what there financial situation is, their travel patterns, etc.

For example, I don't tend to obsess about "free breakfast" and I tend to book the room I desire. Furthermore, I'm not willing to forgo staying at certain properties that I enjoy (e.g. a Four Seasons here and there) in various places, just so I can consolidate my stays in pursuit of the never ending hamster wheel of "re-qualifying."

Again, if chasing Globalist works for folks, great, bully for them, but this thread really isn't about chasing Globalist (there are plenty of those threads). Rather, its about the pros/cons of transferring Chase UR to Hyatt.

Regards
TSTraveler likes this.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: