Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Hyatt corporate layoffs & restructuring

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 11, 2020, 8:44 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, American Air, National Car

1300 corporate layoffs

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-h...KBN22O09P?il=0
Old May 11, 2020, 9:15 pm

Originally Posted by 4aks
Sad. More evidence we’ll refer to pre-Covid as “the old days.”
Old May 12, 2020, 7:55 am

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hyatt Globlist, Hilton Silver, Amtrak Select Plus, UA Silver
Agree. Any travel will not be the same until a vaccine is available. I will do my best to support Hyatt when that day comes.
Old May 12, 2020, 8:39 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
1300 people worldwide out of 55,000 employees doesn't sound as bad as I would have expected, although apparently there have already been pay cuts.

I hope the Glob concierges are retained, unlike what Marriott did to the Ambassador program. Most of them (at least in the USA) work from home and many are part time, so it might be possible to cut hours if there's less demand for their services.
Old May 12, 2020, 8:59 am

Programs: Hyatt Lifetime Globalist
Originally Posted by hotelfanatic
Agree. Any travel will not be the same until a vaccine is available. I will do my best to support Hyatt when that day comes.
I've been booking my Hyatt Global Tour trips like crazy since the "dark depths" of March. Late summer all the way through March 2021. Embarrassed to say how many. Wide open hotel suite upgrade availability, wide open F and J cheap/award flights. Was reviewing my bookings yesterday and shaking my head at the ludicrous goodness of all of them.

Here is what I ask of elected "officials" and those living in fear perpetuated by click-driven media hysteria: How many lives are you willing to sacrifice to prevent one coronavirus death?

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
1300 people worldwide out of 55,000 employees doesn't sound as bad as I would have expected,

I hope the Glob concierges are retained.
Yes, agreed, thankfully a light trimming vs a massive bloodletting. It could have been far worse. Also agreed on Concierges, one of the value propositions Hyatt offers that is HUGE to me. I feel tremendously bad for all the employees who are suffering due to absolutely no fault of their own.
mixmastermark likes this.
Old May 12, 2020, 9:26 am

Programs: DL Gold
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
1300 people worldwide out of 55,000 employees doesn't sound as bad as I would have expected, although apparently there have already been pay cuts.

I hope the Glob concierges are retained, unlike what Marriott did to the Ambassador program. Most of them (at least in the USA) work from home and many are part time, so it might be possible to cut hours if there's less demand for their services.
55,000 includes hotel-level employees, certainly for company-managed hotels, and some companies even include franchise employees in that number. Hyatt has nowhere near 55K corporate-level employees. If I had to guess, they have at most 3-4K. So 1,300 is a massive cut into the above-property workforce.
markko and GUWonder like this.
Old May 12, 2020, 10:57 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Presumably most of the hotel level employees, at corporate owned and franchise properties, have already been furloughed, laid off, or otherwise let go, and many of the remaining ones would have had their hours reduced. The hotels that are open are operating with skeleton staffs and the ones that are closed need even fewer employees (maybe GM and a c couple security guards depending on the size of the property).
Old May 12, 2020, 11:01 am

Originally Posted by LoungeLizardHugo
Here is what I ask of elected "officials" and those living in fear perpetuated by click-driven media hysteria: How many lives are you willing to sacrifice to prevent one coronavirus death?
I think you meant livelihoods, not lives. On the flip side, how many lives are you willing to endanger for non-essential trips that you got a great deal on?
edcli, DaveH, oc2005 and 3 others like this.
Old May 13, 2020, 9:52 am

Programs: World of Hyatt, AAdvantage
Originally Posted by hotelmotel
55,000 includes hotel-level employees, certainly for company-managed hotels, and some companies even include franchise employees in that number. Hyatt has nowhere near 55K corporate-level employees. If I had to guess, they have at most 3-4K. So 1,300 is a massive cut into the above-property workforce.
You are correct, this is a massive cut and it will drastically change things for those needing to make contact with Hyatt regarding bookings or issues with same..
Old May 13, 2020, 10:29 am

Originally Posted by mguinness
I think you meant livelihoods, not lives. On the flip side, how many lives are you willing to endanger for non-essential trips that you got a great deal on?
Lives and livelihoods. Unemployment and stress kills just as surely as the virus does. The sooner people acknowledge that fact the sooner we can act on science-based solutions.

I am not endangering anyone as I wear a mask and sanitize/wash my hands. Furthermore, in spite of all the hand wringing and virtue signalling, this virus is going to burn it's way around the world sooner or later. Destroying the worlds financial system will affect and cost so many more lives than the COVID would! Remember, clearly, all the restrictions were initially placed to "flatten the curve" and prevent overwhelming the healthcare systems. Aside from a very few instances (New York), hospitals are actually suffering from a complete lack of patients! The main problem we have now is that all the so-called experts were wrong. The death rate as a percent is far lower (0.03%) than originally claimed. You better shut the world down and stop all driving to prevent car accident deaths! I really resent that reply as you have zero proof of your claim that I am endangering any lives. In fact I am supporting lives in a real and tangible way by spending my tourism money to support local economies, the airline industry, and hotel employees.

Fear kills and baseless fear mongering driven by click-bait media and intellectually-bankrupt "experts" is fueling far more destruction than this virus ever will. You are welcome to cower at home fearful of the world, I'm going to live my life positively affecting others as I do so.
Old May 13, 2020, 11:11 am

The death rate as a percent is far lower (0.03%) than originally claimed.
As of now, the US COVID death count as tallied by Johns Hopkins is 82,806 out of 1,375,949 confirmed Coronavirus cases in the country. For the math challenged, that's over 6%. 0.03% is a great fantasy world though.
craigthemif and UA-NYC like this.
Old May 13, 2020, 11:21 am

Originally Posted by WantOnlinePoker
As of now, the US COVID death count as tallied by Johns Hopkins is 82,806 out of 1,375,949 confirmed Coronavirus cases in the country. For the math challenged, that's over 6%. 0.03% is a great fantasy world though.
No one knows the true current infection rate. A multitude of reports document asymptomatic infection rates far higher than the number you used. So your numerator is flat out wrong. The fantasy world is yours with that kind of retort.
mixmastermark likes this.
Old May 13, 2020, 11:29 am

I'll make one other point and it's one thoughtful and rational people should also consider.

I know one single person who actually had the virus and zero people who actually died from it. I do however know hundreds of people who's lives are being devastated by idiotic "lockdowns". Wearing a mask and washing your hands works, many Asian countries, who have NOT locked down are proof of that (Japan, Vietnam). Facts are facts regardless of what tyrannical political hacks want to shove down your throat.

Use a rapid test when beginning your journey to "unlock" your transportation and then get the hell on with living life.
mixmastermark and wrldwide1 like this.
Old May 13, 2020, 11:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
No one knows the true current infection rate. A multitude of reports document asymptomatic infection rates far higher than the number you used. So your numerator is flat out wrong. The fantasy world is yours with that kind of retort.
This is OT, but your "death rate" quoted would be less than the generally accepted seasonal flu death rate (0.1%)...when it's quite clear CV19 has a higher death rate (not to mention more contagious by ~2x or so).

You can have your own opinions, but not your own facts.
Old May 13, 2020, 12:22 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by UA-NYC
This is OT, but your "death rate" quoted would be less than the generally accepted seasonal flu death rate (0.1%)...when it's quite clear CV19 has a higher death rate (not to mention more contagious by ~2x or so).

You can have your own opinions, but not your own facts.
New York proves your point -- NY state population is roughly 19.5 million, and as of now there have been 27,400+ COVID deaths in NY state. So 0.14% of the entire state population has already died from COVID. Considering 100% of the population isn't infected and there are still currently infected people who are sadly going to die, we know with certainty that the mortality rate (at least of the strain in NY) is greater than that of the seasonal flu, and likely is significantly so.

The problem is there is no good solution yet. We would all love to be out traveling, flying, staying at Hyatts, supporting businesses, etc. but the numbers in NY show the risk in doing that. I agree the economic impact is going to be devastating, but until there are better proven treatments, vaccines, or the ability to really test and trace cases like some other countries do, we're stuck between a rock and a hard place.
UA-NYC likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.