Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Hyatt corporate layoffs & restructuring

Hyatt corporate layoffs & restructuring

Old May 13, 20, 1:38 pm

Originally Posted by oc2005 View Post
New York proves your point -- NY state population is roughly 19.5 million, and as of now there have been 27,400+ COVID deaths in NY state. So 0.14% of the entire state population has already died from COVID. Considering 100% of the population isn't infected and there are still currently infected people who are sadly going to die, we know with certainty that the mortality rate (at least of the strain in NY) is greater than that of the seasonal flu, and likely is significantly so.

I agree with you, to an extent. However when you're looking at the number of death's, you have to factor in the population that died. If you exclude people over 65, and those with known predisposing conditions (high blood pressure, obesity, diabetees and others), the percentage of people who died is somewhere between 0.3% (Netherlands), 0.7% (Italy) and 1.8% (NYC). Meaning that even if the death rate overall is 6%, if you're in NYC, your odds of dying as a middle aged, healthy individual are roughly .018 out of a 100.
Old May 13, 20, 2:13 pm
Moderator: GLBT Travelers & Hyatt Gold Passport

Let’s get back on topic of Hyatt restructuring and not on the COVID19 pandemic.
peteropny-co-mod-Hyatt
DELee likes this.
Old May 13, 20, 5:04 pm

On topic issue.

We have an excellent Hyatt Concierge that usually gets back to us very quickly. Haven't heard back from her this week since the announcement of layoffs. Anyone know if there's mass layoff of the Hyatt Concierge? Hoping this is not the case, but afraid it might be.
Old May 13, 20, 5:16 pm

Programs: Delta Skymiles
The on topic issue is that I am afraid there are layoffs, and that this will be the first phase of more layoffs. My heart grieves for these families, and I am glad there is enhanced unemployment benefits available to the US based workers. Hopefully these will be extended, Depending on their jobs, hopefully they will have translatable skills to new industries. I fear it will be a long time before Americans wish to travel. For now, many will want to stay close to home and avoid unnecessary traveling.

There are only so many layoffs that can happen before service begins to suffer. I hope that Hyatt is able to come up with creative solutions to weather an extraordinarily difficult business situation, and able to retain as many employees as possible.
Old May 13, 20, 7:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Originally Posted by cfabar1 View Post
There are only so many layoffs that can happen before service begins to suffer. I hope that Hyatt is able to come up with creative solutions to weather an extraordinarily difficult business situation, and able to retain as many employees as possible.
If you want people at Hyatt to be employed, then folks gotta stay at the properties. Fairly simple.

David
Old May 13, 20, 7:18 pm

Programs: World of Hyatt, AAdvantage
Originally Posted by TravelBug1314 View Post
On topic issue.

We have an excellent Hyatt Concierge that usually gets back to us very quickly. Haven't heard back from her this week since the announcement of layoffs. Anyone know if there's mass layoff of the Hyatt Concierge? Hoping this is not the case, but afraid it might be.
I do not know if those people have been part of the layoff. I do know that the 1300 were laid off Monday and they were of all different job titles and levels of service, including management-level job titles.
Old May 14, 20, 5:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, SEIBU PRINCE CLUB Platinum, Marriott Gold, Cocos Gold
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist View Post
1300 people worldwide out of 55,000 employees doesn't sound as bad as I would have expected, although apparently there have already been pay cuts.
Do you think this will be the end of it?
Old May 14, 20, 6:44 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by hailstorm View Post
We can only hope, but I suspect that they are now closer to another cut and know what gets cut next than was the case 4-8 weeks ago.
Old May 14, 20, 10:28 am

Originally Posted by wrldwide1 View Post
I do not know if those people have been part of the layoff. I do know that the 1300 were laid off Monday and they were of all different job titles and levels of service, including management-level job titles.
900 out of the 1,300 cuts are at Hyatt Center on Wacker Drive. Would have to think thats 1/3 to half. I imagine most of the remaining 400 are from thinning the ranks at corporately owned hotel properties.
Old May 14, 20, 10:50 am

Originally Posted by AirbusFan2B View Post
900 out of the 1,300 cuts are at Hyatt Center on Wacker Drive. Would have to think that’s 1/3 to half. I imagine most of the remaining 400 are from thinning the ranks at corporately owned hotel properties.
None of the cuts announced include hotel properties. I believe the remaining 400 came from the 2 call centers in the U.S, which will mean longer hold times and probably more automated reservation functions.
AirbusFan2B likes this.
Old May 14, 20, 1:42 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Are My Hyatt Concierge agents considered call center? My previous one (wonderful private line agent, who apparently was some super-escalation agent and helped to interview call center applicants, although I know she worked from home at times and did a lot of extra hours back then) seemed to be, but the current person works full time from home and isn't close to a call center.

As I've said previously, I know that many of the concierges are part time. In some companies, the policy generally is that part time and newer employees are furloughed or laid off first, among employees with the same/similar job titles/functions.
Old May 14, 20, 1:53 pm

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist View Post
Are My Hyatt Concierge agents considered call center? My previous one (wonderful private line agent, who apparently was some super-escalation agent and helped to interview call center applicants, although I know she worked from home at times and did a lot of extra hours back then) seemed to be, but the current person works full time from home and isn't close to a call center.

As I've said previously, I know that many of the concierges are part time. In some companies, the policy generally is that part time and newer employees are furloughed or laid off first, among employees with the same/similar job titles/functions.
I believe the concierge agents are considered part of the call center. The agents working from home are not required to live near a call center. They can live in many states (not all states) and work 100% remotely. I'm not sure how the people who were furloughed and ultimately permanently laid off were chosen, whether it was by job title or seniority, or both.
Old May 14, 20, 2:49 pm

Programs: AA (EXP, 3 MM), Hyatt Globalist, Taj InnerCircle Silver, MLife Noir, former LHW-Aurelian
Originally Posted by wrldwide1 View Post
I believe the concierge agents are considered part of the call center. The agents working from home are not required to live near a call center. They can live in many states (not all states) and work 100% remotely. I'm not sure how the people who were furloughed and ultimately permanently laid off were chosen, whether it was by job title or seniority, or both.
FWIW, I actually spoke with my new Concierge yesterday just to introduce myself and thank her. She was wonderful and, while it sounded like her colleagues were not involved with these layoffs, she was very appreciative of my time (and promise for future business hopefully in the not-too-distant future).

Would humbly suggest that other Globalists do the same; she seemed to have plenty of free time (not surprisingly, perhaps) and the conversation was very nice for the both of us.
DaveH and wrldwide1 like this.
Old May 14, 20, 8:25 pm

Originally Posted by MasterPlanner View Post
FWIW, I actually spoke with my new Concierge yesterday just to introduce myself and thank her. She was wonderful and, while it sounded like her colleagues were not involved with these layoffs, she was very appreciative of my time (and promise for future business hopefully in the not-too-distant future).

Would humbly suggest that other Globalists do the same; she seemed to have plenty of free time (not surprisingly, perhaps) and the conversation was very nice for the both of us.
My concierge informed me that Globalists will retain their concierge and that concierges are not being targeted for layoffs here. Class act, Hyatt!

Last edited by AirbusFan2B; May 14, 20 at 10:11 pm
Old May 18, 20, 4:09 am

Originally Posted by cfabar1 View Post
I hope that Hyatt is able to come up with creative solutions to weather an extraordinarily difficult business situation, and able to retain as many employees as possible.
I get the sentiment. However, there is no creative solution to be had here. It's just a matter of fact, as horrid as it may be.

Originally Posted by hailstorm View Post
No. Absolutely no. It's devastating but again, it's a matter of fact.

My most memorable stays are with the Hyatt family of hotels and many of my top-notch customer service experiences are also with Hyatt. And that it because of their employees and how much they value their guests. I wish there was something that could be done, but until we can travel again with some sorta normalcy, there's very little we (the guests) can tangibly do.

Search this Thread