Covid-19 policy

Old May 11, 20, 11:43 am
  #1  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Programs: BA Gold
Posts: 414
Covid-19 policy

Apologies if I have missed it but I have looked to see if there is already a thread on this.

I do not understand that Hyatt Covid 19 policy changes that are shown on their website.

It says:

Existing reservations for upcoming travel through June 30, 2020

All existing reservations (booked April 1 or before) for arrivals through June 30, 2020 can be changed or cancelled at no charge up to 24 hours before your scheduled arrival. This includes Advance Purchase Rate reservations.

I take this to mean that if I have an Advance Purchase Rate reservation before the end of June I can cancel my booking. However, it later says:

Existing Advance Purchase Rate non-refundable reservations for travel through June 2020

As announced earlier, special exceptions are in place for all Advance Purchase Rate non-refundable reservations made directly with Hyatt on or before March 8, 2020 for arrivals before June 30, 2020. Guests holding these fully prepaid reservations who have decided not to travel may still opt, at least 24 hours before their stay, to receive 10,000 World of Hyatt Bonus Points compensation in lieu of both their stay and the offer above (if eligible). World of Hyatt points may be used toward future travel at any of our 900+ hotels across 17 brands globally.

This suggests that I cannot cancel an Advance Purchase Rate reservation but can instead receive 10,000 points.

I am not particularly familiar with the Hyatt Brand but is there a difference between an Advance Purchase Rate reservation and an Advance Purchase Rate non-refundable reservation that would help make sense of these two apparently conflicting policies?

I made a pre-Covid Member Rate Advance Purchase reservation at Carmel Valley Ranch for late June. The cancellation policy states: FULL PREPAYMENT/NO REFUND/NO CHANGES. I am trying to figure out which part of the policy applies to my booking. I am a non-US citizen so there is a big question mark over whether I am able to travel (assuming the flight even operates).

Thanks for your help.
Newly Wed is offline  
Old May 11, 20, 1:05 pm
  #2  
skj
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: IAH
Programs: UA 2MM, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Gold
Posts: 1,255
Originally Posted by Newly Wed View Post
Apologies if I have missed it but I have looked to see if there is already a thread on this.

I do not understand that Hyatt Covid 19 policy changes that are shown on their website.

It says:

Existing reservations for upcoming travel through June 30, 2020

All existing reservations (booked April 1 or before) for arrivals through June 30, 2020 can be changed or cancelled at no charge up to 24 hours before your scheduled arrival. This includes Advance Purchase Rate reservations.

I take this to mean that if I have an Advance Purchase Rate reservation before the end of June I can cancel my booking. However, it later says:

Existing Advance Purchase Rate non-refundable reservations for travel through June 2020

As announced earlier, special exceptions are in place for all Advance Purchase Rate non-refundable reservations made directly with Hyatt on or before March 8, 2020 for arrivals before June 30, 2020. Guests holding these fully prepaid reservations who have decided not to travel may still opt, at least 24 hours before their stay, to receive 10,000 World of Hyatt Bonus Points compensation in lieu of both their stay and the offer above (if eligible). World of Hyatt points may be used toward future travel at any of our 900+ hotels across 17 brands globally.

This suggests that I cannot cancel an Advance Purchase Rate reservation but can instead receive 10,000 points.

I am not particularly familiar with the Hyatt Brand but is there a difference between an Advance Purchase Rate reservation and an Advance Purchase Rate non-refundable reservation that would help make sense of these two apparently conflicting policies?

I made a pre-Covid Member Rate Advance Purchase reservation at Carmel Valley Ranch for late June. The cancellation policy states: FULL PREPAYMENT/NO REFUND/NO CHANGES. I am trying to figure out which part of the policy applies to my booking. I am a non-US citizen so there is a big question mark over whether I am able to travel (assuming the flight even operates).

Thanks for your help.
The policies are not conflicting. The 10k points policy was the first policy and then the "no charge for change or cancellation" policy came out in early April. The original policy was left in place because in some situations, it may be more desirable to get the 10K points. For example, 10K points may be valued at $150 or more. If the Advance Purchase rate was less than that value, the traveler may decide to "forfeit" the prepayment and collect the 10K points instead.

In your case, your prepayment is almost certainly more than $150 or $200, so the 10K option holds no value for you. The "no charge for change or cancellation" policy should cover your stay in June.
skj is offline  
Old May 11, 20, 1:32 pm
  #3  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Programs: BA Gold
Posts: 414
Thatís great thank you. My pre-payment is around $3,000 so 10,000 points is no use whatsoever.
Newly Wed is offline  
Old May 16, 20, 11:36 am
  #4  
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Programs: Delta Skymiles
Posts: 1,439
Does anyone else think this is going to have to be extended? I just don't see June 30 making a difference at this point. It seems like they were all hoping for normal summer travel, but we are so unlikely to see that.
AirbusFan2B likes this.
cfabar1 is offline  
Old May 16, 20, 12:36 pm
  #5  
 
Join Date: Sep 2019
Location: Los Angeles
Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond
Posts: 1,682
Originally Posted by cfabar1 View Post
Does anyone else think this is going to have to be extended? I just don't see June 30 making a difference at this point. It seems like they were all hoping for normal summer travel, but we are so unlikely to see that.
I honestly donít think it will. For the most part the impacted reservations are Advanced Purchase Rates. With that in consideration people can make all the reservations they want on or before June 30th for stays through June 29th of 2021.

I think thatís pretty generous as is, I canít honestly see it being extended any further.

To be on the safe side just book any reservations you think you may do and if you need to cancel youíre covered.
Matt4200 is offline  
Old Jun 4, 20, 1:35 am
  #6  
formerly a193991
Hyatt 5+ BadgeHilton Contributor Badge
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: Switzerland
Programs: Hyatt LGLO
Posts: 2,300
updated policy

https://newsroom.hyatt.com/news-releases?item=123966

Hyatt Announces Updated Cancellation Policy, Extending Travel Flexibility and Care

Extending change and cancellations policy for stays through July 31, 2021

CHICAGO (June 3, 2020) Ė Guided by its purpose to care for people so they can be their best, Hyatt Hotels Corporation (NYSE: H) today announced an extension to its cancellation policy that will provide further flexibility as guests start making travel decisions again.

With some limited exceptions, reservations booked July 1, 2020 and beyond Ė for any future arrival date through July 31, 2021 Ė can be cancelled at no charge up to 24 hours before scheduled arrival. This includes Advance Purchase Rate reservations. The exceptions are noted below.

ďAs we listen closely to our guests and members, we know that flexibility is more important than ever right now,Ē said Mark Hoplamazian, president and Chief Executive Officer, Hyatt. ďIn addition to offering a reimagined hotel experience that is focused on safety and wellbeing, we want to help our guests and members book with confidence as they start planning travel again and cannot wait to welcome them back soon.Ē

Reservations can be changed or cancelled on hyatt.com or via the World of Hyatt app (subject to the exceptions noted here and during the booking process). Please note that changes to existing reservations will be subject to availability and any rate differences.

Hyattís Global Care & Cleanliness Commitment

As previously announced, the most important element in opening the doors of Hyatt hotels is doing it safely. As such, we have introduced a multi-layered Global Care and Cleanliness Commitment which builds on Hyattís existing rigorous protocols and includes:
  • Hyatt plans to introduce the GBAC STARTM accreditation system to all hotels worldwide, a performance-based cleaning, disinfection and infectious disease prevention program through the Global Biorisk Advisory Council (GBAC). The accreditation includes detailed colleague training and regular internal and third-party auditing.
  • Every Hyatt hotel will have at least one person on property trained as Hygiene Manager who will be responsible for their hotel adhering to new operational guidance and protocols,
  • Hyatt continues to engage a working group of trusted medical and industry advisors to help think beyond cleanliness Ė and advance care across the holistic hotel experience.
Collaborating with medical experts affiliated with organizations like Georgetown University Medical Center, Johns Hopkins Department of Medicine and Johns Hopkins School of Public Health is helping Hyatt fine-tune reopening procedures Ė from mandatory trainings to cleanliness protocols and, very importantly, its colleague experience.

Throughout this recovery phase and beyond, Hyatt will continue to reimagine the holistic hotel experience to further enhance safety and wellbeing and critically examine the hotel journey Ė from pre-arrival, to guestrooms, lobbies and spas, restaurants and meetings space Ė bringing in the latest research, technology and innovation to bear.

For more information, please visit hyatt.com/covid-19.
59Impala is offline  
Old Sep 5, 20, 11:04 pm
  #7  
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Hampton->Conrad->Hampton again
Posts: 4,809
Caution!

This is Hyatt's official policy.

  • New reservations booked July 1, 2020 or beyond

    With some very limited exceptions, reservations booked on July 1, 2020 or beyond – for arrival dates through July 31, 2021 – can be cancelled at no charge up to 24 hours before your scheduled arrival.

    Reservations made after April 1, 2020 at select Destination properties or under Special Event Rates, after June 3, 2020 at Hyatt Residence Club properties, and any other reservations made after June 30, 2020 that disclose a different cancellation or refund policy at the time of booking are excluded from this policy and subject to the cancellation or refund policy disclosed at the time of booking. Please visit the Change and Cancellation Fee Waiver Exceptions for a list of excluded Destination and Hyatt Residence Club properties.

    Hotels may adjust this cancellation policy during some high-demand periods (e.g., holidays or special events). When making reservations, guests are always encouraged to review the rate rules, which show the current cancellation and deposit policies for all properties and rates, to ensure they understand the cancellation and/or deposit rules for each reservation.

    Reservations can be changed or cancelled on hyatt.com or via the World of Hyatt app (subject to the exceptions noted here and during the booking process). Please note that changes to existing reservations will be subject to availability and any rate differences.
I was going to book Advanced Purchase Rate, with the expectation that I could cancel up to 24hrs prior.
I even called central reservation, who verified this policy and told me that my property of interest was not one of the exception properties.
But I called the actual property just to double-check. To my surprise, they informed me that they have designated literally 40-50% of all the dates from mid-Dec through end-Feb as "high-demand periods" and therefore they will not honor Hyatt's Covid cancellation policy on those dates.

This makes this cancellation policy very disingenous imo. The second to the last paragraph in the quoted info above is an exceptionally important escape clause for Hyatt that I suspect most people will miss. Even central reservation was not aware.

Bottom-line: Before you book that Advanced Purchase booking via Hyatt app, make sure you contact the hotel.
evergrn is offline  
Old Sep 5, 20, 11:08 pm
  #8  
 
Join Date: Sep 2019
Location: Los Angeles
Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond
Posts: 1,682
Originally Posted by evergrn View Post
This is Hyatt's official policy.



I was going to book Advanced Purchase Rate, with the expectation that I could cancel up to 24hrs prior.
I even called central reservation, who verified this policy and told me that my property of interest was not one of the exception properties.
But I called the actual property just to double-check. To my surprise, they informed me that they have designated literally 40-50% of all the dates from mid-Dec through end-Feb as "high-demand periods" and therefore they will not honor Hyatt's Covid cancellation policy on those dates.

This makes this cancellation policy very disingenous imo. The second to the last paragraph in the quoted info above is an exceptionally important escape clause for Hyatt that I suspect most people will miss. Even central reservation was not aware.

Bottom-line: Before you book that Advanced Purchase booking via Hyatt app, make sure you contact the hotel.

The easiest way to know is to check the cancellation policy when making the booking on Hyatt.com. For me even on advanced purchase rates and rates that require a deposit and normally are not able to be cancelled it says 24 hours. So rather than checking with central reservations or the property directly Iíd always refer to that as thatís what will be quoted if you try to cancel. If it shows 24 hours on the cancelation policy at booking itís 24 hours regardless of what the property may say.
Matt4200 is offline  
Old Sep 5, 20, 11:27 pm
  #9  
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Hampton->Conrad->Hampton again
Posts: 4,809
Originally Posted by Matt4200 View Post
The easiest way to know is to check the cancellation policy when making the booking on Hyatt.com. For me even on advanced purchase rates and rates that require a deposit and normally are not able to be cancelled it says 24 hours. So rather than checking with central reservations or the property directly I’d always refer to that as that’s what will be quoted if you try to cancel. If it shows 24 hours on the cancelation policy at booking it’s 24 hours regardless of what the property may say.
I'm finding out that you are right.
But the problem is, this had not been obvious to me at all after reading Hyatt's policy and talking to central reservation. I imagine it is not to many others.
Hyatt says that even Advanced Purchase reservations are refundable up to 24hrs prior.
People generally equate Advanced Purchase with nonrefundable, and so Hyatt's stated Covid policy makes it seem like just about all bookings including nonrefundable ones are refundable (with "very limited exceptions" as they say).
How often do you come across rates that are both prepaid and stated as refundable?
evergrn is offline  
Old Sep 5, 20, 11:32 pm
  #10  
 
Join Date: Sep 2019
Location: Los Angeles
Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond
Posts: 1,682
Originally Posted by evergrn View Post
I'm finding out that you are right.
But the problem is, this had not been obvious to me at all after reading Hyatt's policy and talking to central reservation. I imagine it is not to many others.
Hyatt says that even Advanced Purchase reservations are refundable up to 24hrs prior.
People equate Advanced Purchase with nonrefundable, and so Hyatt's stated policy makes it seem like just about all bookings including nonrefundable ones are refundable (with "very limited exceptions" as they say).
How often do you come across rates that are both prepaid and stated as refundable?

Iíve actually come across it a lot recently. Some reservations that donít even mention prepayment have full withdrawn the funds months prior to the stay. Yet it says and they say itís refundable. I made a December booking back in June and within a week they fully charged $1,400 with 0 mention of prepayment which was upsetting and Iím hoping Iím not further charged on arrival, thatíd be laughable.

But yeah Hyatt is still offering Advance Purchase rates which makes no sense to me as they can be cancelled up to 24 hours ahead.

The ones a lot of time that are prepaid are the Advance Purchase Rates and Stay 3 Get 4th night free.

Thatís why Iíve learned just to see what it says prior to checking out as the cancellation policy.
Matt4200 is offline  
Old Nov 9, 20, 4:35 pm
  #11  
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: SFO
Posts: 3,394
Guidance on Cancellation Policy

Have been booking with cancellation policies that appear to be reasonable until I saw one for Mexico. 30 day cancellation for December.

According to Hyatt:

"New reservations booked July 1, 2020 or beyond

With some very limited exceptions, reservations booked on July 1, 2020 or beyond Ė for arrival dates through July 31, 2021 Ė can be cancelled at no charge up to 24 hours before your scheduled arrival.

Any reservations booked on July 1, 2020 or beyond that disclose a different cancellation or refund policy at the time of booking are excluded from this policy and subject to the cancellation or refund policy disclosed at the time of booking. Please visit the Change and Cancellation Fee Waiver Exceptions for a list of excluded Destination, Hyatt Residence Club, and Miraval properties."


If i read this correctly, anything greater than 24 hours cancellation stated at the time of reservation goes by those specific rules at the time of reservation, and all others are 24 hours? Hmmm... why even have this policy? maybe i'm reading it wrong.
myperks is offline  
Old Nov 9, 20, 6:38 pm
  #12  
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Minneapolis: DL DM charter 2.3MM
Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Posts: 91,512
My understanding is that for customers, the cancellation policy is whatever is stated on your confirmation at the time of reservation unless you booked a long time ago. The policy is directed toward hotels who are being directed to observe 24 hour cancellation policies for most reservations unless the hotel is in a special exception list, such as isolated luxury resorts (Maldives, etc. or some ski resorts).
MSPeconomist is offline  
Old Nov 9, 20, 7:00 pm
  #13  
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: SFO
Posts: 3,394
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist View Post
My understanding is that for customers, the cancellation policy is whatever is stated on your confirmation at the time of reservation unless you booked a long time ago. The policy is directed toward hotels who are being directed to observe 24 hour cancellation policies for most reservations unless the hotel is in a special exception list, such as isolated luxury resorts (Maldives, etc. or some ski resorts).
Thanks. But the policy of paragraph 1 seems overwritten by paragraph 2...

for example:
if the cancellation policy now is 72 hours for a new reservation for stay before July 2021, paragraph one seems to say I can cancel 24 hours before arrival. However, paragraph 2 states that if the reservation states something else, then itís whatever stated, which to me mean 72 hours, and ultimately makes paragraph 1 irrelevant.

Last edited by myperks; Nov 9, 20 at 10:48 pm Reason: Spelling
myperks is offline  
Old Jan 8, 21, 9:48 pm
  #14  
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: CA
Programs: This game has *seriously* lost its luster.
Posts: 7,024
I'm trying to figure out a friend's options for Inauguration week in DC, a non-refundable award stay. Reading the COVID policy, I can't figure out what Hyatt means by "different". Different to what? Bolded below.

Whew, thankfully, I had no problem cancelling my non-refundable IHG Kimpton award.

New reservations booked July 1, 2020 or beyond

With some very limited exceptions, reservations booked on July 1, 2020 or beyond Ė for arrival dates through July 31, 2021 Ė can be cancelled at no charge up to 24 hours before your scheduled arrival.

Reservations made after April 1, 2020 at select Destination properties or under Special Event Rates, after June 3, 2020 at Hyatt Residence Club properties, and any other reservations made after June 30, 2020 that disclose a different cancellation or refund policy at the time of booking are excluded from this policy and subject to the cancellation or refund policy disclosed at the time of booking. Please visit the Change and Cancellation Fee Waiver Exceptions for a list of excluded Destination and Hyatt Residence Club properties.

Hotels may adjust this cancellation policy during some high-demand periods (e.g., holidays or special events). When making reservations, guests are always encouraged to review the rate rules, which show the current cancellation and deposit policies for all properties and rates, to ensure they understand the cancellation and/or deposit rules for each reservation...
boxo is online now  
Old Jan 8, 21, 10:13 pm
  #15  
 
Join Date: Jun 2020
Posts: 85
Originally Posted by boxo View Post
Reading the COVID policy, I can't figure out what Hyatt means by "different". Different to what?
Different from the stated policy right above of that sentence:"... can be cancelled at no charge up to 24 hours before your scheduled arrival."
PG.backpacker is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search Engine: