Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Please Help! P+C or all points stay for Hawaii

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 9, 2020, 10:44 am
Original Poster

Programs: Aeroplan, Amex AeroPlat

Hi, I’m very new to Hyatt. Want to use up 12K points to stay two nights at Hyatt Place at Waikiki next year.

No status whatsoever. (Might do a status challenge later)

Right now I have HP booked on cash and points for 12K and $323 USD total.

Alternatively, I can purchase another 12K Hyatt points for about $244 USD and just do a pure points redemption. I know pure points stays don’t the typical taxes.

HOWEVER, as you can see below, the taxes and fees include Occupancy Tax, State Tax and Destination Fees. Which of the taxes and fees will still apply to a pure points booking? Because I don’t have enough points yet I can’t do a dummy booking to compare.

Could someone who has enough (24K) Hyatt points do a dummy booking for Hyatt Place on Feb 17-19, 2021 and do a screen shot of the exact breakdown of cost in terms of taxes and fees?

Thank you very much in advance!

Old May 9, 2020, 10:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, TK E+, AA PP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond
Unless you are a Globalist, you will pay the Destination Fee.

No tax on 100% points stays.

You can also book one night using points and one night paying the cash rate.
Old May 9, 2020, 10:57 am

I check on my side, no need to pay out of pocket with pure points redemption. For some reason I cannot post with an image.
Old May 9, 2020, 11:04 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by craigthemif
Unless you are a Globalist, you will pay the Destination Fee.

No tax on 100% points stays.

You can also book one night using points and one night paying the cash rate.
I can deal with Destination fee. What about occupancy tax and the state tax? I can save if those two are eliminated on pure point stays.
Old May 9, 2020, 11:12 am
Original Poster

Thanks everyone. Ended up doing one night on 12K points and one night on AAA rate, just about the same v. a pure point stay for two nights.
Old May 9, 2020, 8:37 pm

Originally Posted by theOtherHolmes
Thanks everyone. Ended up doing one night on 12K points and one night on AAA rate, just about the same v. a pure point stay for two nights.
You'll also get the points for the paid stay so if $ is the same, you come out slightly ahead doing it this way.
Old May 9, 2020, 8:42 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond
As the other posts were unclear just to note that ALL taxes and Detination Fees are waived on full points bookings even with no status.

Old May 10, 2020, 3:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, TK E+, AA PP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Matt4200
As the other posts were unclear just to note that ALL taxes and Detination Fees are waived on full points bookings even with no status.
This must be relatively new. I thought that Hilton was the only chain that waived resort fees on points stays... But as a Globalist I've never really paid attention to Hyatt since the junk fees are already waived for me.
Old May 10, 2020, 5:07 am
formerly a193991
Hyatt 5+ BadgeHilton Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt LT Globalist; LX SEN (*A Gold), AA LTG, SBB-CFF-FFS First Class GA
Originally Posted by craigthemif
This must be relatively new. I thought that Hilton was the only chain that waived resort fees on points stays... But as a Globalist I've never really paid attention to Hyatt since the junk fees are already waived for me.
it has actually been like this since the beginning of WoH
Old May 10, 2020, 8:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by 59Impala
it has actually been like this since the beginning of WoH
lmao.

And here I thought I was special for being a Globalist.
59Impala likes this.
Old May 10, 2020, 9:25 am

Programs: Marriott LT Tit; Hyatt Explorist; Hilton CC Gold; IHG CC Plt; Hertz (MR) 5 star
Do you have the Hyatt credit card? If not, consider getting it and charging on the card to get another 12K pts. If you charge $3k on the card in the first 3 months, you'll get 25K points. Charge an additional $3K ($6K total) in the first 6 months and you'll get an additional 25k points for 50k points total.
The card costs $95 annual fee (I'd cancel after your Hawaii trip if you don't travel much) but also gives you Discoverist status and a free night certificate with $15k in charges.
Here's a link for you: https://creditcards.chase.com/lp/wor...romo?CELL=69Q8

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.