Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

23% discount on Hyatt points - that's it?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

23% discount on Hyatt points - that's it?

Search this Thread

Old May 13, 2020, 4:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP LT GLD 1MM, BA GLD, NH/UA*G, Hyatt Dia, Marr Tit LT PLT, IHG Spire,HH Dia, MGM NOIR,Hertz PC
I wouldn't buy Hyatt points at any more than their common 40% Bonus/Discount. Even better during the Discover America promotions.

At 40% there are some limited options where is makes sense to buy/use points such as Park Hyatt Kyoto.

The problem with hotel gift cards is usually the practical aspect of it. It always takes forever to have a gift card applied to a folio and staff doesn't know what to do. It has always been a disaster both at Hyatt and Marriott plus international locations often don't accept them. At least IHG Giftcards are physical Mastercard Prepaid Cards.
MSPeconomist and lsquare like this.
Old May 13, 2020, 7:01 pm
Original Member
Original Poster

Originally Posted by skywalkerLAX
The problem with hotel gift cards is usually the practical aspect of it. It always takes forever to have a gift card applied to a folio and staff doesn't know what to do. It has always been a disaster both at Hyatt and Marriott plus international locations often don't accept them. At least IHG Giftcards are physical Mastercard Prepaid Cards.
I am not sure about Marriott, but the last time I tried, Hyatt gift cards could not be used to purchase advance discounted hotel rates from their website. Any savings from buying the discounted gift cards are negated by the higher pay-at-the-hotel room rate. You are required to use a CC to "hold" the room at the higher rate and then attempt to pay at the front desk with the gift card. Some of us don't currently travel on the company's dime.

Ah, but I remember the good old days when ValueAmerica.com (RIP) would sell physical hotel gift certificates at 20-30% off. For somebody dropping $3-4k a month on hotels at the time, that was manna from heaven.
Old May 13, 2020, 7:38 pm
Hilton 25+ BadgeMarriot 100+ Badge

Programs: Hyatt Glob; Hilton Dia; Marriott AMB; Accor Dia; IHG Dia Amb; GHA Tit
Originally Posted by skywalkerLAX
I agree that some hotels are better than others for using gift cards, and on occasion it will require some hassle at check-out. I normally try to handle this one or two days before check out to give them time.

What I like about gift cards is that it will make the stacking of promos possible. If any individual hotel comes out with a great sale, not only will I lock in that low price, but I will effectively pay 20% cheaper via the gift cards. And if there are juicy points promos such as double points or triple points, then it will stack too. For those reasons I am willing to handle the additional hassle in return.

Selling points at a discount is not as useful in the event there are attractive cash sales or triple points promos. Time will tell but it should not be shocking to see those.
lsquare likes this.
Old May 13, 2020, 7:45 pm

Originally Posted by Tino
I am not sure about Marriott, but the last time I tried, Hyatt gift cards could not be used to purchase advance discounted hotel rates from their website. Any savings from buying the discounted gift cards are negated by the higher pay-at-the-hotel room rate. You are required to use a CC to "hold" the room at the higher rate and then attempt to pay at the front desk with the gift card. Some of us don't currently travel on the company's dime.
You are correct, Marriott gift cards cannot be used to pre-pay for a room. That said, there are still a non-negligeable number of hotels where the cheapest rate is pay at property, not prepaid. In addition, in my experience hotels have the ability to refund your credit card at check out and then redeem gift cards, which saves them from paying the credit card transaction fee so they are happy to do it. Some will not know how, but I have been successful on many occasions, particularly Fairmont hotels because they tend to be more familiar with those gift cards.

There are also other ways to use gift cards, for example incidentals at the property (room service, etc.), or sometimes I book a reservation one night (pre-paid) and then once at the property I extend more nights. Those extra nights can all be paid with the gift cards.
Brendan likes this.
Old May 14, 2020, 5:50 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Hyatt will probably be selling gift cards with a value that is practically a 12-25% discount from card value.
Old May 15, 2020, 3:58 am

Originally Posted by GUWonder
Hyatt will probably be selling gift cards with a value that is practically a 12-25% discount from card value.
Then it would be in Hyatt's best interest to do this sooner rather than later, because several travellers who are flexible between Marriott and Hyatt are currently going through their travel budget buying those Marriott cards. There is a first mover advantage to some extent here.
Old May 16, 2020, 6:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL, OZ, AC, AS, AA, BA, Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott, IHG
Originally Posted by escape4
Fully agreed. I recently received a promotion from Banyan Tree for the sale of gift certificates / rate packages. The price was good so I was initially interested, until I found out that if I book a room using these certificates, I will not get any elite benefits such as room upgrades, and no points earned or night credits, so I passed. Just my opinion, but now would be a good time to be liberal with benefits, not stingy. There is a wave of great hotel deals coming up in the second half of this year and possibly next year; they could have secured my cash in a non-refundable gift certificate, but failed to do so. Similar for sales of points by Hyatt or other chains: Hyatt might have enticed some folks to buy points at 40% off but 23% is probably not enough for a good number of customer. Some of these same people might end up staying in a Marriott hotel in October instead, when huge cash sales come out, when they could have stayed in a Hyatt hotel instead.

Air Canada seems to understand the issue. They are selling miles at 1 US cent per mile as part of a promo. They will raise a lot of cash at that price.
I think it was more of a yes and no. The US$0.01 promo was only for certain number of people. The vast majority will not get it at that price. AC will still have to honour the booking in the future and that may be costly unless they devalue their points in the future, which is always a possibility. I personally wouldn't buy points unless I have a redemption in mind.
Old May 16, 2020, 6:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Marriott selling gift cards at 20% off is a far superior way for a hotel chain to raise cash in hard times, than Hyatt selling points at 23% off, hence OP's very valid question here "that's it?".

Not to mention that Marriott's sale is counted as "travel" so people can get 3x on Chase UR credit card or can get 6x on Marriott branded credit cards, unlike Hyatt's sale where you get 1x.

Hyatt could come up with a gift card sale as well in the near future, but the problem will be that there is a first mover advantage here. People who loaded up on Marriott gift cards will not have as much budget to spend on Hyatt gift cards. Speaking of people who like to stay at both chains of course...
I agree. That's a much better deal than loading up on points. For me personally, I don't really care about points all that much now especially airline points. It's too easy for them to devalue the points.
Old May 16, 2020, 6:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by GUWonder
Then it would be in Hyatt's best interest to do this sooner rather than later, because several travellers who are flexible between Marriott and Hyatt are currently going through their travel budget buying those Marriott cards. There is a first mover advantage to some extent here.
I suspect that even with a sale, they probably won't generate a whole lot of cash especially with the state of the global economy and the travel restrictions that are in place.
Old May 16, 2020, 11:46 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by lsquare
I agree. That's a much better deal than loading up on points. For me personally, I don't really care about points all that much now especially airline points. It's too easy for them to devalue the points.
Even if they are devalued the benefits for Globalists increase the value greatly. At properties with $50 nightly parking charges that are only waived with points bookings (or Free Night Certs, but I’m saying Points vs. Cash Rate), that increases the value IMO.

I have an upcoming stay that I wish I could pay the Cash Rate, except with points parking is waived which is ~$35 a night after taxes. So it’d be ~$100 (pre-tax plus the ~$35 parking) or 8k points. It’s a multi-night stay and parking adds up. I tried emailing the property (which is open) to see if they even offer discounted parking for Globalists, which some properties do, they never responded. So Points, for me at least, make a difference.

I wouldn’t encourage spending thousands on points right now, but buying enough to cover upcoming stays may be helpful depending on your situation.
lsquare likes this.
Old May 16, 2020, 3:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Matt4200
Even if they are devalued the benefits for Globalists increase the value greatly. At properties with $50 nightly parking charges that are only waived with points bookings (or Free Night Certs, but I’m saying Points vs. Cash Rate), that increases the value IMO.

I have an upcoming stay that I wish I could pay the Cash Rate, except with points parking is waived which is ~$35 a night after taxes. So it’d be ~$100 (pre-tax plus the ~$35 parking) or 8k points. It’s a multi-night stay and parking adds up. I tried emailing the property (which is open) to see if they even offer discounted parking for Globalists, which some properties do, they never responded. So Points, for me at least, make a difference.

I wouldn’t encourage spending thousands on points right now, but buying enough to cover upcoming stays may be helpful depending on your situation.
We discussed this before and I agree with you. Another negative about using points is that it won't get you any closer to LT status.
Old May 16, 2020, 4:21 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by lsquare
We discussed this before and I agree with you. Another negative about using points is that it won't get you any closer to LT status.
I know, I was just pointing it out for others who may not have read the other thread as that adds value for certain people.

Agreed to the downside of LT status, but still counts for yearly status and Milestones.
lsquare likes this.
Old May 18, 2020, 11:58 am

Programs: Hyatt Global, Marriot Lifetime Titanium
What discount do you think they should offer?
Old May 18, 2020, 4:42 pm
skj

Programs: UA 2MM, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by JackE
What discount do you think they should offer?
Hyatt has regularly offered a 40% bonus. or approximately 30% discount on points. They would need to do better than that, especially since Marriott just rolled out a 60% bonus, or close to 40% discount, on their points.
lsquare likes this.
Old May 18, 2020, 5:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by skj
Hyatt has regularly offered a 40% bonus. or approximately 30% discount on points. They would need to do better than that, especially since Marriott just rolled out a 60% bonus, or close to 40% discount, on their points.
I think it's inevitable that they'll eventually put out a better offer. They'll be desperate for cash sooner or later.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.