Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

We canceled your booking for late June, any problems with that? Call reservations.

We canceled your booking for late June, any problems with that? Call reservations.

Old May 4, 20, 11:43 am
Moderator: Luxury Hotels and FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

That, is a summary of a much longer email I received from the GM of the Great Scotland Yard hotel in London for a booking I have in late June. Evidently, they decided to stay closed at least through June 30.

I don't know if I am going to make that trip. Right now the odds look like 50/50 or lower but BA still shows the flight as on.

No offer of an alternative booking, no nothing. This is a hotel that currently imagines itself as the highest end Hyatt in London, right?

I've written back to the GM noting how tacky that was, copying his boss. Wonder if I will get a reply.

Note that I really like Hyatt in general. So if any of you also like Hyatt and were planning to post a comment saying just that the hotel had no obligation or something similar, there is no need. Thanks.
Old May 4, 20, 1:09 pm
formerly a193991
Hyatt 5+ BadgeHilton Contributor Badge

Programs: LT Globalist
Not sure if you have heard already, but many hotels around the globe are closing temporarily, due to a virus called Corona.
hedoman, ryandc99, rjg319 and 7 others like this.
Old May 4, 20, 1:30 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by creativeguess1 View Post
It's a Pandemic. You're probably the only one with a booking that got this email, cancelling a reservation. Bummer for you.
Originally Posted by 59Impala View Post
Not sure if you have heard already, but many hotels around the globe are closing temporarily, due to a virus called Corona.
I had hoped to avoid snarky replies like these in a thread highlighting the failure of a supposedly upscale hotel to protect bookings with an alternate offer, but it appears my attempt was in vain. Honest folks, this type of comment adds nothing to the discourse.
Old May 4, 20, 1:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K; BA Gold
I don't have a problem with the communication. It was timely and I assume that most people with bookings at this time will not be traveling at all and will not be looking at alternate accommodations. I doubt that they are even able to offer you any alternate accomodation as no one knows at the moment what the UK phase 2 will even look like (if phase 2 even starts). I assume the GM directed you to reservations if you are still going to be traveling for those dates? For those few that will be continuing their travel at the same time, directing them to call reservations is probably best, as there are, and will probably be, very limited alternatives.
writerguyfl, rjg319 and hailstorm like this.
Old May 4, 20, 2:04 pm
skj

Programs: UA 2MM, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Gold
Every Hyatt property in London, with the possible exception of a Hyatt Place out near LHR, is closed until 1 July. What did you expect the hotel to do ?
Old May 4, 20, 2:16 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Bottom line is that properties cancelling reservations because they are closing due to the pandemic are not likely to engage in finding you alternate housing.

There is very little available -- especially if you must stay at a specific chain -- so it will be down to calling around to see what really plans on being open.
Old May 4, 20, 3:56 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by skj View Post
Every Hyatt property in London, with the possible exception of a Hyatt Place out near LHR, is closed until 1 July. What did you expect the hotel to do ?
You could be right but so far, my booking at the Andaz Liverpool St following Great Scotland Yard has not been canceled. Maybe it soon will be as neither the Andaz nor the Churchill are shown as available on the Hyatt website, but that is not conclusive.

None of this excuses a mid-range or above hotel which is cancelling bookings from making an effort to find and propose an alternative.
Old May 4, 20, 3:57 pm

Programs: BA Gold, TK E+, IB+, VS FC, Hyatt Globalist, MR Plat Prem, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by RichardInSF View Post
Honest folks, this type of comment adds nothing to the discourse.
As does complaining about a hotel proactively notifying you two months in advance that they will be closed due to a pandemic...

Book a different hotel yourself. It's far easier than moaning and complaining to a hotel's management ..
Old May 4, 20, 4:26 pm

Programs: Aeroplan/Hilton Gold/Marriott Bonvoy PE/Accor/Hyatt Gold Passport
Hotels which remain open or are slated to open into June are banking on bookings. If the bookings don't materialize those that are closed will remain so, and those running at less than 10% occupancy will join the pack. Nothing is written in stone these days.
Auto Enthusiast likes this.
Old May 4, 20, 7:35 pm

Programs: Hyatt Global, Marriot Lifetime Titanium
I had hoped to avoid snarky replies like these in a thread highlighting the failure of a supposedly upscale hotel to protect bookings with an alternate offer, but it appears my attempt was in vain. Honest folks, this type of comment adds nothing to the discourse.
The replies may have been a bit snarky, but I think the point of them is to say that at the present time -- and for a while longer -- we are going to have to adjust our expectations. It's not that hard to make a new reservation, so just make a new reservation. It is what it is.
rjg319 likes this.
Old May 4, 20, 10:31 pm

Programs: World of Hyatt, AAdvantage
What do you want them to do?
aamilesslave and writerguyfl like this.
Old May 4, 20, 11:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: SEIBU PRINCE CLUB Platinum, Hyatt Explorist, Marriott Gold, Cocos Gold
I had hoped to avoid snarky replies like these in a thread highlighting the failure of a supposedly upscale hotel to protect bookings with an alternate offer
We're in the midst of a pandemic. The feelings of someone that probably should not be traveling at this time should not be a high priority now.
Old May 5, 20, 12:38 am
Moderator: Hyatt Gold Passport & Star Alliance

Programs: UA-1K 3MM/AA-Ex Plat/HY- LT Globalist/BA-CCR/GGL/GfL
The Andaz may be open, pretty much everything in London is closed now.
Old May 5, 20, 1:02 am

Programs: BA Gold, IHG Platinum, Discovery Platinum, Bonvoy Gold, Accor Gold, Hilton Gold, Radisson Gold,
Originally Posted by Markie View Post
Possibly not - website says they're not accepting reservations until 1st July. Not clear whether this means they're open to guests who already have bookings before that date but I wouldn't bank on it

https://www.hyatt.com/en-US/hotel/en...l-street/longe
Old May 5, 20, 2:35 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Markie View Post
Nope, I just got a virtually identical email from the Andaz cancelling my booking there.

I shall now attempt to explain what I thought many posters above already knew. Unlike the airlines who act like the oligopolists they are, upscale and luxury hotels usually maintain a good sense of customer service even in tough situations.

For example, I would not have expected these London hotels, when block cancelling reservations, to simply refer the guests they are abandoning to a res center in Chicago, Illinois. Hyatt central reservations is highly unlikely to be of any help whatsoever in finding an available room that is not in their computer system. At the very least, these general managers (who know the local market) should have offered their assistance upon request. The GMs did not do this; in fact, they did not include their contact information. Of course, I know how to find this information but most customers do not. If the GMs wished to go a step further, they could have easily blocked some rooms at a fair rate at hotels that were going to remain open. And there are things beyond that should have been offered to regular guests.

None of this happened. I am not looking to take undue advantage. But all of us who were unceremoniously dumped without recourse should have been, and could have been, treated better.

This is a good time for me to stop posting on this thread, so I will except to respond to any remaining factual questions.
MSPeconomist likes this.

Last edited by RichardInSF; May 9, 20 at 8:42 am Reason: Removed comment that could be regarded as arrogant, which was not my intent

Search this Thread
Search Engine: