Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

We canceled your booking for late June, any problems with that? Call reservations.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

We canceled your booking for late June, any problems with that? Call reservations.

Search this Thread

Old May 14, 2020, 8:11 pm

Programs: AA EXP & AAirpass, Hyatt Courtesy Card, SPG Platinum
I am with the OP. While I sympathize with the challenges hotels are facing, like the rest of us, they need to continue operating to their best ability. That is what I am doing with my customers even when they are currently unable to purchase my services. There are longtime relationships involved. I can’t put an auto reply on my email and direct them to our help desk.

5 star hotels provide a luxury service product and it is trying times like these when truly great properties shine. I recently experienced this at Park Hyatt Tokyo. The OP had a dissatisfactory experience and I am glad he shared it as I will avoid the property he referenced based on what was shared. If the argument is COVID 19 has changed everything and you can’t expect good service going forward I fear many luxury properties will struggle to command a price premium over budget accommodations.

Originally Posted by mhrb
Actually that's precisely what it does.

Incredible that you accuse others of being snarky. What exactly were you hoping for with this thread? What are you adding to the discourse with such massive tone deafness?
Old May 14, 2020, 10:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hyatt Discoverist, SEIBU PRINCE CLUB Silver, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by sensei
5 star hotels provide a luxury service product and it is trying times like these when truly great properties shine. I recently experienced this at Park Hyatt Tokyo.
Once again in this thread, someone makes a faulty comparison between a hotel in Tokyo, a place that has never experienced a true "lockdown" and where >90% of luxury hotels are at least partially operational, and a hotel in London, where continued operations are banned by the government.

It's one thing to praise a top hotel for going above and beyond to provide truly great service. But asking for proactive lodging assistance that is prohibited by law goes beyond what is reasonable to expect from any establishment.
hedoman and writerguyfl like this.
Old May 14, 2020, 10:49 pm
Ambassador: World of Hyatt

Originally Posted by sensei
I am with the OP. While I sympathize with the challenges hotels are facing, like the rest of us, they need to continue operating to their best ability. That is what I am doing with my customers even when they are currently unable to purchase my services. There are longtime relationships involved. I can’t put an auto reply on my email and direct them to our help desk.

5 star hotels provide a luxury service product and it is trying times like these when truly great properties shine. I recently experienced this at Park Hyatt Tokyo. The OP had a dissatisfactory experience and I am glad he shared it as I will avoid the property he referenced based on what was shared. If the argument is COVID 19 has changed everything and you can’t expect good service going forward I fear many luxury properties will struggle to command a price premium over budget accommodations.
Thank You too for your well said post
It brought me down memory lane.
I'd like to add not just 5 star properties that rise to the occasion when faced with a major challenge plenty of 4 Star and perhaps some 3 star too in my past memory
I remember being in New Orleans with the Hurricane fast approaching years ago.We were scared as we knew of the past devastation.
Was staying at the Westin Canal Place and they closed the hotel to incoming guests and waited until all of my rooms
and traveling companions departed so we could all get out safely to our flights beyond checkout time
They couldn't go home and shelter because of us
.I worked every trick I could to get everybody home and got out myself on the very last flight.
The Westin also made an exception @ my request for a friend the night before who was at another area hotel and was asked to vacate early.
They opened up a room against hotel rules as a Platinum member and 20 year guest of the hotel even before Starwood existed

The concierge arranged a private limousine & driver so we wouldn't have to worry getting to the airport where the flights were ending before the airport closed
When I think about the horrific past events of Katrina once it hit and how brilliantly the management and security performed @ area hotels especially
@ The Sheraton and the Hilton Riverside who remained open post storm protecting their guests making sure they were well fed and comfortable
as best they could even without electricity I am still to this day in awe.When i say bullets were flying I'm not making this up
Fred Sawyer Hilton GM at that time was heroic
Its one of the reasons since then I have always believed in full service hotels.
No one likely thinks about it typically however the big hotels have emergency contingency plans and are trained to implement them when called on
This is the dedication and professionalism I speak about for the hospitality industry in life and death events where the show must go on.
Both then and now I salute all of those that serve the traveling public especially in the most dire of situations and risk the potential for getting into harms way
They like our medical front lines are inspiring

Last edited by 777 global mile hound; May 14, 2020 at 10:56 pm
Old May 15, 2020, 4:56 am
skj

Programs: UA 2MM, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by 777 global mile hound
They like our medical front lines are inspiring
Are you really making this comparison ?
Old May 15, 2020, 6:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, TK E+, AA PP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by skj
Yikes... I didn't realise that concierges at 5-star hotels are now the true heroes of the coronavirus crisis...
Old May 15, 2020, 9:34 am

https://issuu.com/lisadare/docs/airwaves_january_2006_katrina_edition

Originally Posted by skj
Comparison not quite
Parallels yes no one will compare a global pandemic to a regional catastrophe just based on scale
However yes the hotel management & team remain heroes to me this day and how they coordinated with national guard corporate police local hospitals.
All of those folks that serve the public in and out of the hotels
Below sheds light on just one example of many and what they took to serve the traveling public professionally under some very dire circumstances

https://issuu.com/lisadare/docs/airw...atrina_edition

Last edited by 777 global mile hound; May 15, 2020 at 9:45 am
Old May 15, 2020, 9:50 am

Originally Posted by craigthemif
Yikes... I didn't realise that concierges at 5-star hotels are now the true heroes of the coronavirus crisis...
Yes of course that is exactly what I refer too and meant you nailed it! They are the true only heroes out there in or out of the Pandemic!
Now if you could only spell realize to drive your brilliant take of my focal points
Old May 15, 2020, 2:37 pm

Programs: AA Pro (mostly B6) OZ♦ (flying BR/UA), BA Silver Hyatt LT, Wynn Black, Cosmo Plat, Mlife Noir
Originally Posted by hailstorm
Once again in this thread, someone makes a faulty comparison between a hotel in Tokyo, a place that has never experienced a true "lockdown" and where >90% of luxury hotels are at least partially operational, and a hotel in London, where continued operations are banned by the government.
Interesting how quickly you've gone from "not entirely fair" to "faulty". While we're on the topic of "faulty", you'll also note my earlier post was not a "comparison" in any sense of attempting to equate the two properties - in fact, I did the precise opposite.
Old May 16, 2020, 12:52 am

Programs: Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Gold, UA
in Tokyo, ... where >90% of luxury hotels are at least partially operational
Really???

2 of Hyatt's 4 upscale properties are closed, the Mandarin Oriental, Peninsula, Ritz Carlton, Aman, Okura, and Four Seasons are all closed...
Old May 16, 2020, 3:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by OsakaWino
Really???

2 of Hyatt's 4 upscale properties are closed, the Mandarin Oriental, Peninsula, Ritz Carlton, Aman, Okura, and Four Seasons are all closed...
Not sure I'd classify the Hyatt Centric as an "upscale" property.

90% may have been hyperbole, but there's still Shangri La, Prince Gallery, Park Hyatt, Grand Hyatt, Hoshinoya, Prince Park Tower, ANA IC, Conrad, Westin, Keio, The Strings, Ascott, Pullman...so choices exist.
Old May 16, 2020, 3:48 am

Programs: Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Gold, UA
Not sure I'd classify the Hyatt Centric as an "upscale" property.

90% may have been hyperbole, but there's still Shangri La, Prince Gallery, Park Hyatt, Grand Hyatt, Hoshinoya, Prince Park Tower, ANA IC, Conrad, Westin, Keio, The Strings, Ascott, Pullman...so choices exist.
But I'm also not so sure that it is true that no choices exist in London. A cursory search on Google turned up quire a few for a 2-night stay in the coming week, as did a search on Hilton.com (but not Hyatt.com).

Last edited by OsakaWino; May 16, 2020 at 4:13 am
Old May 16, 2020, 5:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by OsakaWino
But I'm also not so sure that it is true that no choices exist in London. A cursory search on Google turned up quire a few for a 2-night stay in the coming week, as did a search on Hilton.com (but not Hyatt.com).
Yes, but you can't stay there.

The hospitality industry is pulling together to provide local accommodation for medics working long shifts, who might not be able to commute home during the Covid-19 pandemic.
In the UK, some 25 per cent of UK hotel operators have remained open to help serve the NHS and key workers.
Old May 16, 2020, 4:45 pm

This thread keeps getting more and more bizarre.
59Impala likes this.
Old May 17, 2020, 5:23 am
formerly a193991
Hyatt 5+ BadgeHilton Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt LT Globalist; LX SEN (*A Gold), AA LTG, SBB-CFF-FFS First Class GA
Originally Posted by writerguyfl
This thread keeps getting more and more bizarre.
yeah... that's why the OP does not react either anymore... thread could be closed...
Old May 17, 2020, 9:54 am

Programs: DL Gold/MM, HH Diamond, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by 59Impala
yeah... that's why the OP does not react either anymore... thread could be closed...
I expected it to be closed the first day. I am surprised that a moderator has not shut it down yet.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.