Post-COVID Stay Reports

Old Apr 27, 20, 10:33 am
Original Poster

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, UA Premier Silver, Southwest A List,Spirit Lover
Post-COVID Stay Reports

Hello all,

So I've just had my first real "Covid era" stay and I thought it might be interesting for us to post about our experiences/observations in this new "era". Things have certainly changed.

I stayed at the H.R. Austin this past weekend and here's my thoughts:
1. What a sad/depressing place. It's a huge atrium hotel and most of the lights were off making it appear dark and closed even during the middle of the day.
2. Maybe a handful of staff working (in total) and it appeared the managers were cleaning the rooms (no housekeeping).
3. Gym/bar/restaurant all closed. I was told they might let me into the gym if I asked as a special "Globalist" perk. Pool is open.
4. It appeared they were operating only one floor out of roughly 15 floors with rooms - so less than 10% of rooms operating. The upper floors were displaying a heart with their lights on. No suite upgrades. It appears they have closed the suites in terms of upgrades.
5. Somewhat of an oddball crowd - very young people with heavy smokers on the balconies. Not the normal H.R. crowd, for sure.
6. Globalist breakfast is limited to five or so items. You must call then go down to the front desk and pick up. Food wasn't very good at all (used to be quite good here). Burnt to death bacon, overcooked everything else, etc. But they are trying....
7. Wasn't charged for parking and they just let you park in front of the hotel in the old valet lot.
8. Staff are friendly but everything is off. They have put plexiglass in front of the front desk and positioned tables in front of it so you can't get very close.
9. Was brought a nice collection of snacks (trail mix, candies, nuts) by the manager who arrived at my room in nearly full PPE (gloves, mask, etc).

I have a bunch of stays coming up over the next month at various properties due to family emergency type stuff. Will be interesting to see what it's like at other Hyatt's. This was my first stay since all of this began. Overall - I'd describe it as sad and depressing. I hope someday we CAN actually go back to some semblance of normal.

Anyone else care to share a post COVID experience? Hopefully can we NOT debate what they are doing, just report on what it's like "out in the field."

Last edited by txhyattlvr; Apr 27, 20 at 10:45 am
Old Apr 27, 20, 2:33 pm

Thanks for the report! Let's take this as the lowest point and hope for incremental improvement...
Personally i may be more likely to choose HP near term with individual AC and less of the weirdness of near empty giant full service hotel... ideally i hope resorts will start reopening by late may..
Old Apr 28, 20, 10:37 am

It's hard to imagine a breakfast buffet or lounge "open" food service opening for a long, long time (vaccine, herd immunity, etc.). I was surprised to find a gym open an operating pretty normally in pretty well locked-down San Francisco (actually Burlingame, San Mateo County).
ryandc99 likes this.
Old Apr 28, 20, 1:03 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by 365RoadWarrior View Post
It's hard to imagine a breakfast buffet or lounge "open" food service opening for a long, long time (vaccine, herd immunity, etc.). I was surprised to find a gym open an operating pretty normally in pretty well locked-down San Francisco (actually Burlingame, San Mateo County).
Agreed but what I saw was several orders of magnitude more extreme than simply no more open buffets (which honestly might not be such a bad thing as I detest buffets)...
Old Apr 29, 20, 11:58 am
Administrator

Not to generalize, but I am guessing the "oddball" crowd is a bunch of young people who are sick of getting yelled at for partying/not social distancing at their apartments, taking advantage of cheap hotel rates to break the rules.

Ugh.
Old May 2, 20, 9:09 am

Programs: QF WP, AA EXP
Here is hoping that this prompts Hyatt to finally deploy digital keys/check-in, reliably, across the portfolio. Marriott is terrible at it. Hilton is the only chain that seems to be going in the right direction on this.
AirbusFan2B likes this.
Old May 2, 20, 5:41 pm

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, WN A+/CP, UA SIL, Marriott TIT (LT), Hyatt EXPL, Hilton DIA
I am on the road 10-12 nights per month and this sounded like every one of my hotel stays the past 6 weeks, across all brands. Very sad. I usually ask at check in about occupancy and most places it is less than 10% and some less than 5%.

was at one of the Hyattís in Boston and there were 6 guests in the entire hotel that night (Regency)
Old May 3, 20, 6:44 am

Programs: Hilton LT diamond, Hyatt diamond, Marriott LTte, AA LT plat, Seabourn diamond elite
While it might be sad today, and it is. Check forward rates and you will see that hotels have every intention of making up for loses during 3rd and 4th quarter this year. Triple sad.
hp12c likes this.
Old May 5, 20, 9:01 pm

Programs: AA Splat, Marriott LT Ti, Hyatt Glob
HP Cleveland/Lyndhurst. Kitchen closed but the bar is open; no housekeeping, request only. Plenty of take-out fooderies nearby. Not a big problem. I'm here for 12 nights and as long as i can get fresh towels and a bedding replacement once a week I'm fine.Only two floors open of six.Much rather be in OH vs my home state of GA with that idiot governor...
Old May 6, 20, 7:55 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by born sleepy View Post
HP Cleveland/Lyndhurst. Kitchen closed but the bar is open; no housekeeping, request only. Plenty of take-out fooderies nearby. Not a big problem. I'm here for 12 nights and as long as i can get fresh towels and a bedding replacement once a week I'm fine.Only two floors open of six.Much rather be in OH vs my home state of GA with that idiot governor...
How are they handling breakfast?
Old May 6, 20, 1:19 pm

Originally Posted by hedoman View Post
While it might be sad today, and it is. Check forward rates and you will see that hotels have every intention of making up for loses during 3rd and 4th quarter this year. Triple sad.
What properties are these? Iíve looked at a few properties for December stays and havenít seen any increase, actually a decrease in areas like Waikiki, Salt Lake City, and Dallas.
Old May 6, 20, 7:18 pm

Programs: AA Splat, Marriott LT Ti, Hyatt Glob
Originally Posted by txhyattlvr View Post
Mystery paper bag. Probably a stale muffin. Otherwise just coffee (I don't eat breakfast)
Old May 7, 20, 7:21 am
Original Poster

Mystery paper bag. Probably a stale muffin. Otherwise just coffee (I don't eat breakfast)
Theyíre going to have to figure it out... they can take appropriate precautions and still deliver the core service (i.e. hot meals).

I know some will disagree but I think itís time to reopen with rules and procedures (spacing, masks, sanitation) and accept the new normal. This isnít going away and low-risk people need to get back to work, school, etc.
Old May 7, 20, 7:59 am
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by txhyattlvr View Post
Park Hyatt Busan is back to breakfast buffet. The cheapest way for them compared to a la carte ordering at Seoul Hyatts.
Old May 10, 20, 6:51 am

Programs: Delta diamond, SPG platinum, Hyatt diamond
just saw GA had the least number of hospitalization cases in a month so look like it is getting better and they are doing something right.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: