Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Anyone here wish Hyatt would count award stays for lifetime status?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 10, 2020, 11:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: DL, OZ, AC, AS, AA, BA, Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott, IHG

It would be nice if award nights count as well. It would be even better if paid nights count as well. Maybe something like Hilton where 1000 nights plus 10 years of Globalist status would be enough? What do you guys think?
Old Apr 10, 2020, 11:40 pm

While it would be nice, it makes no sense. Why would Hyatt devalue lifetime globalist so that manufactured spenders can get lifetime in just a few years.
synd, writerguyfl, UA-NYC and 3 others like this.
Old Apr 10, 2020, 11:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ZBigFam
While it would be nice, it makes no sense. Why would Hyatt devalue lifetime globalist so that manufactured spenders can get lifetime in just a few years.
Do you think Marriott and Hilton sees it differently then?
Old Apr 10, 2020, 11:59 pm

I would not put Hilton or Marriott anywhere in the same stratosphere of Hyatt globalist. I've had top tier of all and none compare to Hyatt.
cmjaffe, ryandc99, lsquare and 3 others like this.
Old Apr 11, 2020, 12:14 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by ZBigFam
Do you know how much someone would have to Manufactured Spend just to get the amount of points to stay that many nights?

Let’s say you’re staying at Category 1 properties 75% of the time, 750 nights at 5,000 points per night is 3,750,000 points. Then Category 2’s 15% of those 1,000 nights would be 1,200,000. Category 3 10% of those 1,000 nights would be 1,200,000. Assuming that’s all you stay at which is conservative that’s a total of 6,150,000 points.

So to MS 6,150,000 points at the best way possible you’d get a Chase card offering 1.5% back which if you have another card can transfer to Hyatt.

To MS 6.15 million points you’d need to spend $4,300,000 on that one single credit card.

Just in the purchase fees alone it’d be over $30,000. Not to mention Money Order fees or a bank account that’d allow that many money order deposits in the millions.

Not to mention the 10 year rule OP mentioned. I can guarantee you no one would MS that for that goal. Not to mention you’d actually still have to stay the 1,000 nights. If you were conservative you’d stay the minimum 55 nights. Meaning it’d take about 18 years.
iflyjetz and lsquare like this.
Old Apr 11, 2020, 2:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Matt4200
Do you know how much someone would have to Manufactured Spend just to get the amount of points to stay that many nights?

Let’s say you’re staying at Category 1 properties 75% of the time, 750 nights at 5,000 points per night is 3,750,000 points. Then Category 2’s 15% of those 1,000 nights would be 1,200,000. Category 3 10% of those 1,000 nights would be 1,200,000. Assuming that’s all you stay at which is conservative that’s a total of 6,150,000 points.

So to MS 6,150,000 points at the best way possible you’d get a Chase card offering 1.5% back which if you have another card can transfer to Hyatt.

To MS 6.15 million points you’d need to spend $4,300,000 on that one single credit card.

Just in the purchase fees alone it’d be over $30,000. Not to mention Money Order fees or a bank account that’d allow that many money order deposits in the millions.

Not to mention the 10 year rule OP mentioned. I can guarantee you no one would MS that for that goal. Not to mention you’d actually still have to stay the 1,000 nights. If you were conservative you’d stay the minimum 55 nights. Meaning it’d take about 18 years.
I get the concern about someone gamifying and easily attaining status, but how is this any different from other people that travel with OPM? How do we ensure fairness to people that spend their own money? I don't know where we draw the line as to what's fair and square. Furthermore, it seems like on FT, people get emotional about status. Like how there are the "real" Hilton Diamonds and the "fake" Hilton Diamonds (acquired through AMEX).

Hyatt Globalist is definitely very rewarding and I'm surprised they would allow someone to get free parking on an award stay, but no discount whatsoever on paid stays. I haven't spent any of my Hyatt points so far. I'm still opting for paid stays as I'm chasing LT status.
Old Apr 11, 2020, 3:32 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by lsquare
I get the concern about someone gamifying and easily attaining status, but how is this any different from other people that travel with OPM? How do we ensure fairness to people that spend their own money? I don't know where we draw the line as to what's fair and square. Furthermore, it seems like on FT, people get emotional about status. Like how there are the "real" Hilton Diamonds and the "fake" Hilton Diamonds (acquired through AMEX).

Hyatt Globalist is definitely very rewarding and I'm surprised they would allow someone to get free parking on an award stay, but no discount whatsoever on paid stays. I haven't spent any of my Hyatt points so far. I'm still opting for paid stays as I'm chasing LT status.
I’m saying there may be people who would MS to get to Globalist, but there’s no one out there who’d MS to get to LTGlob especially if it were 1,000 nights required.

As far as “real” vs. “fake” leave that to corporate if they want more people in that category they’ll create more avenues, if they don’t they’ll close them off. If you stay often at a particular hotel the management there will know you and you’ll get better treatment in terms of soft touches. Other than that the benefits are the same no matter which way it’s earned.
iflyjetz and lsquare like this.
Old Apr 11, 2020, 4:33 am

Programs: Delta DM, Hyatt Diamond
I am chasing LT Glob while trying to maintain annual Glob status. I get around 20 night credits a year with the card. Between promos and card spend I end up with a lot of points and while it is great to stay with points, especially when it covers valet, it doesn't help with lifetime status. I use guest of honor whenever possible which is a great use of points. Hyatt makes money selling points to credit card company, but once I am secure in making Glob for the year there is no reason to spend more. I wish they would somehow give some base points for certain spend levels with the card like Delta does with AMEX awarding miles that count toward lifetime status.
Old Apr 11, 2020, 4:58 am
skj

Programs: UA 2MM, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Gold
I don't know why Hyatt would make any changes to the qualification requirements for LT status. They've had essentially the same criteria for at least 20 years, and they've already made it simpler by removing the 10 years as a Diam/Glob status requirement. I'd also argue it's easier to reach the 1000000 base point/$200K spend today than it was 20 years ago, simply because the average room rate is higher. What's in it for Hyatt to make attaining the status any easier ? How is it beneficial to Hyatt to have a larger population of LT Globs ?

Handing out LT status for 1000 nights is a ridiculous suggestion, even if only paid nights are counted. I could spend about $65K for the 1000 nights without traveling more than 25 miles from my home, and get LT for about a third of today's requirement. It could be done for even less in other locations.
Old Apr 11, 2020, 6:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Marriott made the current top tier LT status so easy to get that they had to cut off access to it going forward

I'm good w/Hyatt the way it is!
Old Apr 11, 2020, 7:24 am

Definitely hope they keep it AS IS.... and if anything make it harder for the gamers to get basic Globalist.

Theres absolutely nothing wrong with focusing on rewarding customers that spend real $ with Hyatt directly.... it’s a business!
Old Apr 11, 2020, 10:14 am

There's still no way to check lifetime base points without contacting Hyatt, right?
Old Apr 11, 2020, 11:17 am
skj

Programs: UA 2MM, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by Zelucifer
There's still no way to check lifetime base points without contacting Hyatt, right?
I usually get an email with "Your Account Summary ..." in the subject near the end of each month. In addition to some offers, it includes a summary that shows my Lifetime Base Points.

I did not receive the email last month, though.
Old Apr 11, 2020, 1:19 pm

Programs: AAexp, UA*G, HY LT Globalist, FB Plat, Centurion
I wouldn't want award stays to count. After spending over 1m dollars with Hyatt as a LTG why would I want someone to have an easier way to get there than I. I get treated extremely well at park hyatts and devaluing the status just brings Hyatt closer to the bottom like Hilton and Marriott.
Old Apr 11, 2020, 2:03 pm
Ambassador: World of Hyatt

Hi All
I hope everyone is well and staying safe out there as appropriate.
Yes Hyatt has always been focused on revenue stays for Lifetime Globalist status vs nights etc
For the most part I would agree and echo others that Hyatt is the best in honoring and recognizing its most frequent guests at the Globalist level with some caveats
As a very important reminder for those making that journey towards lifetime spending @ 200k and 1 million base points requirements
Do not forget to always request points for your stays do not take airline miles
Those who request airline miles for their stays will earn nothing for their revenue spent as their software only tracks of World Of Hyatt points from revenue stays for lifetime status
Should you wish to earn miles for your stay request them only after the stay has posted as points to your account otherwise you are out of luck
I found out the hard way I always assumed years ago & incorrectly that once I hit the 200k mark in spend I would be golden for Lifetime status.
However years later I finally hit Lifetime status only when my account accumulated the point threshold which is all Hyatt goes by at the end of the day
Would have qualified sooner had I knew
Cheers
gadberry likes this.

Last edited by 777 global mile hound; Apr 22, 2020 at 8:20 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.