Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Hyatt 30% more Bonus Points when purchasing 5,000

Hyatt 30% more Bonus Points when purchasing 5,000

Old Apr 2, 20, 10:09 pm
  #1  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Sep 2019
Location: Los Angeles
Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond
Posts: 1,893
Hyatt 30% more Bonus Points when purchasing 5,000

Didnít get an email but was searching through Hyattís site and found this -

Points promo says it just launched yesterday. Thought Iíd post it in case anyone wanted to buy points.

Not the best deal as youíre paying 1.8 cents per points, but a deal nonetheless. Regularly they are 2.4 cents per points.





Offer available with purchases made between 12:01 am ET April 1, 2020 and ends 11:59 pm May 10, 2020. Purchase 5,000 or more Bonus Points in a single transaction and receive 30% additional Bonus Points. Bonus Points will be awarded upon completion of individual transaction. In order to participate in a purchase transaction, you must be a member for at least 30 days to purchase or receive Bonus Points. Bonus Points can be purchased in increments of 1,000, up to 55,000 points per calendar year. Members can receive points in increments of 1,000, up to 55,000 points per calendar year. Additional Bonus Points awarded under this offer do not count towards these maximums. Offer may be withdrawn or changed without notice. Offer cannot be combined with any other offer. Only purchases made online are eligible for the promotion.

Last edited by Matt4200; Apr 2, 20 at 10:23 pm
Matt4200 is online now  
Old Apr 3, 20, 12:37 pm
  #2  
Original Member
 
Join Date: May 1998
Location: St Petersburg, FL, USA
Posts: 2,100
I am holding out for a much better offer. They need lots of cash, and quickly.
aceboy44 and lsquare like this.
Tino is offline  
Old Apr 3, 20, 12:51 pm
  #3  
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Programs: MR-Amb, Hyatt-Globalist, AA-EXP
Posts: 1,625
Considering they offered a 40% off promotion last year, I'm going to wait as well. Plus I can't count on using my current stash any time soon at this rate.
spgplat21 is offline  
Old Apr 3, 20, 1:57 pm
  #4  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Sep 2019
Location: Los Angeles
Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond
Posts: 1,893
Originally Posted by Tino View Post
I am holding out for a much better offer. They need lots of cash, and quickly.
Considering that wouldnít you wanna help Hyatt stay afloat?

Originally Posted by spgplat21 View Post
Considering they offered a 40% off promotion last year, I'm going to wait as well. Plus I can't count on using my current stash any time soon at this rate.
I agree they did offer 40% last year and will likely do so at some point between August and December of this year.

That being said I ended up buying like $500 worth. I have a credit card Iím trying to meet the Minimum spend on right now and my usual outlets for spend are closed.

A deal for some, not for all.

Personally I liked the 10% off GC Promo run late last year that was a much better deal for everyone.

Though as a Globalist points do come in handy as I tend to go to cities that charge for parking so at those locations award stays are the way to go for when things are up and running later this year or next year. (San Diego, Chicago, NYC, Irvine, Houston)
Matt4200 is online now  
Old Apr 4, 20, 1:13 am
  #5  
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: Represa CA
Programs: Hilton LTD, Hyatt Glob, Marriott LTTE, AA LTP, Seabourn DE
Posts: 2,832
Originally Posted by Matt4200 View Post
Considering that wouldnít you wanna help Hyatt stay afloat?
Comedian, yes?

If you would check forward rates, you will find that hotel companies have a plan for making up for current loses.
hedoman is offline  
Old Apr 4, 20, 1:32 am
  #6  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Sep 2019
Location: Los Angeles
Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond
Posts: 1,893
Originally Posted by hedoman View Post
Comedian, yes?

If you would check forward rates, you will find that hotel companies have a plan for making up for current loses.
Whatís Hyattís plan? Because the last I heard the hotel industry as a whole said the 2 Trillion Dollar bailout (or their cut of it) isnít enough to get them afloat. Honestly asking not trying to be funny Iím genuinely curious because thatís what I heard as of a day or two ago.
Matt4200 is online now  
Old Apr 6, 20, 2:21 pm
  #7  
Original Member
 
Join Date: May 1998
Location: St Petersburg, FL, USA
Posts: 2,100
Did you read the latest Fodor's blog post? It is madness. Essentially: "let the hotels keep your cash instead of asking for a refund and book additional cash stays in advance even though they may not happen or even be in business".

I'm not floating anybody an interest-free loan. If they want to sell me points at half-off the implied value or better, then we can talk. Same with restaurants trying to sell me full-priced gift certificates, even though many of them are currently closed and may not reopen.
hedoman, ZBigFam, tearex and 3 others like this.

Last edited by Tino; Apr 7, 20 at 7:19 am
Tino is offline  
Old Apr 7, 20, 9:31 am
  #8  
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: City of TEN
Programs: FORMER Hyatt Diamond Loyalist, now Globallist
Posts: 248
AT 40% I would have bought.

AT 50% I would have gone ALL IN, bought MAX, and been okay if I lost out in the end.

If they wanted to raise $$$, woulda went 40 or higher.

IMO, this PROMO was scheduled before the crisis.
MSPeconomist likes this.
creativeguess1 is offline  
Old Apr 8, 20, 9:03 am
  #9  
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: Kuwait
Programs: WoH Globalist
Posts: 579
Originally Posted by creativeguess1 View Post
AT 40% I would have bought.

AT 50% I would have gone ALL IN, bought MAX, and been okay if I lost out in the end.
Let us assume they offer points at 50%, if they increase the amount if points required to stay in hotels what benefit did you get by purchasing the points in advance?

Not to mention, some hotels will not allow you to book via points through black-out dates (christmas, new year, etc.) so really, what's the point?
aceboy44 is offline  
Old Apr 8, 20, 10:35 am
  #10  
Original Member
 
Join Date: May 1998
Location: St Petersburg, FL, USA
Posts: 2,100
The current deal is only a 23% discount (pay for 100, get 130). Since people usually can't do basic math, they think they are getting a better deal than what is advertised. It's not a 30% discount.

Let me clarify: when I say I am holding out for a 50% discount (or 100% bonus), I am thinking 1.2 cents or less. The base price to buy points is 2.4 cents. If they truly are in a dire situation, it may be to sell points at a massive discount or go bankrupt.

They have stated that they are not increasing point levels for at least a year. However, I believe that at some point they will need to add a mandatory cash fee per award because they need to get some money in their coffers. They can't just let people redeem billions of points later in the year for no cash compensation at all. That will actually cost them more money than leaving the rooms empty.
Tino is offline  
Old Apr 8, 20, 11:50 am
  #11  
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: City of TEN
Programs: FORMER Hyatt Diamond Loyalist, now Globallist
Posts: 248
Originally Posted by aceboy44 View Post
Let us assume they offer points at 50%, if they increase the amount if points required to stay in hotels what benefit did you get by purchasing the points in advance?

Not to mention, some hotels will not allow you to book via points through black-out dates (christmas, new year, etc.) so really, what's the point?

I've done the "Hyatt bonus points game" for a few years now. At 40% its always been a good value for me. I usually check ahead to see if points can be used at Christmas, or when I want to travel. Buying POINTS, whether its 10%, 20%......60% etc. It's not to buy and hold, its to buy and use at a cheaper price that is projected to cost.

Yes, if they increase the amount of points to redeem, the 30% point would be worse than 40 or 50. ALWAYS should be buying points, with an exact stay in mind, IMO. I've never seen over 40, so at 50 it's a risk-reward value I'd take a stab at.
MSPeconomist likes this.
creativeguess1 is offline  
Old Apr 8, 20, 11:52 am
  #12  
 
Join Date: Dec 2018
Posts: 399
Originally Posted by Tino View Post
The current deal is only a 23% discount (pay for 100, get 130). Since people usually can't do basic math, they think they are getting a better deal than what is advertised. It's not a 30% discount.

Let me clarify: when I say I am holding out for a 50% discount (or 100% bonus), I am thinking 1.2 cents or less. The base price to buy points is 2.4 cents. If they truly are in a dire situation, it may be to sell points at a massive discount or go bankrupt.

They have stated that they are not increasing point levels for at least a year. However, I believe that at some point they will need to add a mandatory cash fee per award because they need to get some money in their coffers. They can't just let people redeem billions of points later in the year for no cash compensation at all. That will actually cost them more money than leaving the rooms empty.
imho buying points is situationally based, I am looking to book an extra night at hyatt ziva cancun, I will have just shy of 15k points so my cost if I buy is $192 compared to the $419 a night cash rate. Or hyatt house nashville sobro which a fall saturday will run over $600 all in compared to buying 15k points is ~$270.
Beachchaser is offline  
Old Apr 9, 20, 4:17 pm
  #13  
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Programs: DL, OZ, AC, AS, AA, BA, Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott, IHG
Posts: 8,372
Originally Posted by Tino View Post
I am holding out for a much better offer. They need lots of cash, and quickly.
Originally Posted by spgplat21 View Post
Considering they offered a 40% off promotion last year, I'm going to wait as well. Plus I can't count on using my current stash any time soon at this rate.
I agree. It's not like there's any place to spend the points at the moment. I have no doubt Hyatt will have a better offer in the near future. My credit card will be ready when that happens.
lsquare is online now  
Old Apr 10, 20, 10:08 pm
  #14  
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Minneapolis: DL DM charter 2.3MM
Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Posts: 92,646
I've been using more points since Hyatt changed the rule to allow TSUs to be used on award stays.
MSPeconomist is offline  
Old Apr 10, 20, 10:48 pm
  #15  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Sep 2019
Location: Los Angeles
Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond
Posts: 1,893
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist View Post
I've been using more points since Hyatt changed the rule to allow TSUs to be used on award stays.
For me in a lot of situations Iím made to use points rather than pay a cash rate which doesnít make much sense.

For example -

Hyatt Centric Chicago - Cash rate $124 (pre-tax) points rate 15k points. Parking Cost $72 (pre-tax).

Manchester Grand Hyatt - Cash Rate $153 (pre-tax) points rate 15k points. Parking Cost $55 (pre-tax).

The rates above are just examples I found from November for a 1 night stay.

Most properties that charge for parking the rates are so high that it makes much more sense just to pay with points.
Matt4200 is online now  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search Engine: