Off peak awards???

Old Mar 20, 2020, 9:10 pm
Original Poster

Programs: LT Marriott Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, Hertz Prez Circle, United Platinum
Off peak awards???

It's March; Peak, off peak, and standard awards were supposed to start this month. Has anyone seen any off peak awards? I'm looking at San Francisco and they're all standard awards. If this wasn't the time to have off peak, I don't know when it will happen. But rest assured, we'll see peak awards during high demand times.

https://thepointsguy.com/news/change...f-peak-awards/
Old Mar 20, 2020, 9:28 pm

Originally Posted by itsallgood
But rest assured, we'll see peak awards during high demand.
You might, but not until March 2021 at least. They postponed peak/off-peak and the category changes.
aceboy44 and Brendan like this.
Old Mar 21, 2020, 12:59 am
formerly a193991
Hyatt 5+ BadgeHilton Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt LT Globalist; LX SEN (*A Gold), AA LTG
It's March; Peak, off peak, and standard awards were supposed to start this month. Has anyone seen any off peak awards? I'm looking at San Francisco and they're all standard awards. If this wasn't the time to have off peak, I don't know when it will happen. But rest assured, we'll see peak awards during high demand times.

https://thepointsguy.com/news/change...f-peak-awards/
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hyat...ch-2020-a.html
Old Mar 21, 2020, 3:19 am
Original Poster

Programs: LT Marriott Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, Hertz Prez Circle, United Platinum
Thanks; missed that. 'Convenient' of them to delay rollout for another year, as everything should have gone off peak for most of the rest of this year.
Brendan likes this.
Old Mar 21, 2020, 11:38 am
Suspended
Hyatt 10+ BadgeMarriott 10+ Badge

Thanks; missed that. 'Convenient' of them to delay rollout for another year, as everything should have gone off peak for most of the rest of this year.
You or we would think so. But it depends on the algorithm the hotels use to allocate the peak vs off-peak. For Marriott, it is not based on supply and demand, but on the typical seasonal supply and demand. A lot hotels still charge peak prices for summer, no matter how much the demand is.
invalyd, mbmd and Brendan like this.
Old Mar 21, 2020, 6:48 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by RedSun
You or we would think so. But it depends on the algorithm the hotels use to allocate the peak vs off-peak. For Marriott, it is not based on supply and demand, but on the typical seasonal supply and demand. A lot hotels still charge peak prices for summer, no matter how much the demand is.
… and yet, there are 13 Marriott properties out of 40 on page one in the San Francisco area that are offering Pointsavers. So that's not a blanket truth for Marriott.
Brendan likes this.
Old Mar 26, 2020, 2:37 pm

Programs: AA EP; WN CP;UA SILVER; MARRIOTT TITANIUM; HH DIAMOND; IHG PLAT; RADISSON PLAT; HYATT GLOBAL
Originally Posted by RedSun
I disagree about Marriott, it is 100% based on demand, it was such a massive devaluation in disguise. DP= MSY, PVR and MAD, all before COVID was Peak in Spring; After all the Covid cancellations now it is off peak. Hotels in same city during same date would show off,standard and peak rates.

Hyatt has stated that they will do a calendar based schedule for peak dates, like the airlines do (or did before dynamic pricing). I hope they do that.
Brendan likes this.
Old Mar 26, 2020, 2:49 pm

Programs: Delta Skymiles
I have found Marriott’s implementation of this strategy to be a massive disaster. I think the longer we wait to see it implemented the better.

I would not be surprised if the economic pain is prolonged and travel is low, that we do not see this change implemented at Hyatt. Revenue Management is a very different industry when the world reopens.
Old Mar 26, 2020, 4:03 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by ORD-TGU
I disagree about Marriott, it is 100% based on demand, it was such a massive devaluation in disguise. DP= MSY, PVR and MAD, all before COVID was Peak in Spring; After all the Covid cancellations now it is off peak. Hotels in same city during same date would show off,standard and peak rates.
This is just not true. I had bookings for the spring break in MAD and all got cancelled without any advanced notice. Some were off-peak and some are standard rates. I re-booked one month later and now all of them are standard. No off-peak any longer. Some other properties have gone up with the annual category changes.

I also plan to book those days with Hyatt and other hotel chains and transfer my Marriott points to airlines.

What Marriott has done is just plainly wrong. I'm sure Marriott will get a lot of bail-out $$ from its friends at the top. Not much is going to go to us loyalty members. But I just do not see a lot of value with Marriott any longer. So many rounds of devaluations.

The government should not have allowed its purchase of SPG. But the lobbying efforts clearly paid off.
Old Mar 26, 2020, 11:09 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond
Here’s a fundamental problem I see with Hyatt’s system. Is that they have Category 6 properties that when they’re “Off Peak” can go as low as $90 which considering the 25,000 points or even 21,000 points once the new system is implemented is insane.

I see Cat 7 properties for $128, if a property is a Category 7 it should never be that price otherwise it definitely shouldn’t be in that Category.

Then there are properties that were in 2019 a Category 4, upgraded to a Category 5 and earmarked as a Category 6 when the new changes happen. Yet even when it’s slow it never goes below $200, despite when it’s high being $1,000+.

I love Hyatt overall and I think their system is great, I just wish they had fixes for these types of issues.

Brendan likes this.
Old Mar 27, 2020, 7:33 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by Matt4200
Here’s a fundamental problem I see with Hyatt’s system. Is that they have Category 6 properties that when they’re “Off Peak” can go as low as $90 which considering the 25,000 points or even 21,000 points once the new system is implemented is insane.

I see Cat 7 properties for $128, if a property is a Category 7 it should never be that price otherwise it definitely shouldn’t be in that Category.

Then there are properties that were in 2019 a Category 4, upgraded to a Category 5 and earmarked as a Category 6 when the new changes happen. Yet even when it’s slow it never goes below $200, despite when it’s high being $1,000+.

I love Hyatt overall and I think their system is great, I just wish they had fixes for these types of issues.
There are a lot factors going into the pricing. I'm not going to speculate as to why those prices are too high or too low.

It is free market economy. All hotels are competing against each other. I would not want to spend my time wondering why the price and category do not match etc....
Old Mar 27, 2020, 8:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
My regular flights I book are 1/3 of their price a month ago - yet they are still the same number of miles if I were to redeem miles for them (which of course would be crazy)

Bro, just chill a bit...
Old Mar 27, 2020, 12:58 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by UA-NYC
My regular flights I book are 1/3 of their price a month ago - yet they are still the same number of miles if I were to redeem miles for them (which of course would be crazy)

Bro, just chill a bit...
The dates for these I put in were August, not March, April, May, or June which would be the impacted dates for hotels.

All I’m saying is Hyatt has seriously overvalued these and some other properties. I’ve never seen PH NYC below $200, or Ventana Big Sur Below $200 ever (two other notable US Cat 7’s). Just seeing that price tag on a Category 7 or even the $90 for the Cat 6 means something is wrong.
Old Mar 27, 2020, 1:17 pm
skj

Programs: UA 2MM, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Gold

Complaining about the pricing for a ski in/ski out property in August ? Here's why the property is a cat 7 ...

Old Mar 27, 2020, 1:18 pm

Programs: UA Plat MM, AA Gold MM, Marriott LTT, Hyatt Globalist
The dates for these I put in were August, not March, April, May, or June which would be the impacted dates for hotels.

All I’m saying is Hyatt has seriously overvalued these and some other properties. I’ve never seen PH NYC below $200, or Ventana Big Sur Below $200 ever (two other notable US Cat 7’s). Just seeing that price tag on a Category 7 or even the $90 for the Cat 6 means something is wrong.
I wouldn't necessarily call it wrong. I would call it a good cash rate and a terrible points rate.

Hyatt Centric Park City is a ski destination, so summer cash rates are always going to be very low. I stayed there once in June during Outdoor Retailers Show when all hotels in Salt Lake City were 2-3X rate of Hyatt Centric.
Brendan likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.