Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Globalist Breakfast in the COVID-19 era

Old Mar 15, 20, 8:33 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA Plat, WN CP, Hilton GoId, IHG Spire, Hyatt Globalist, Citi, Barclay, Chase, Amex, CapOne

So for those of us who are still traveling for work or otherwise, how does the breakfast benefit work for Globalists if the hotel restaurant is closed, either due to low volume or government mandate? Front desk says, "sorry, nothing we can do."

Obviously, not a huge deal, but what would you all do or ask for? Or do we just let it go? (In my case, it is a multi-night stay in Chicago, so it's not just a one day thing.)
Old Mar 15, 20, 10:34 pm
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by orca1114 View Post
So for those of us who are still traveling for work or otherwise, how does the breakfast benefit work for Globalists if the hotel restaurant is closed, either due to low volume or government mandate? Front desk says, "sorry, nothing we can do."

Obviously, not a huge deal, but what would you all do or ask for? Or do we just let it go? (In my case, it is a multi-night stay in Chicago, so it's not just a one day thing.)
They should be doing room service breakfast then. I wouldn't just let it go. I'd find another Hyatt that will honor its obligations.

Andaz Seoul let me have room service breakfast during the peak of the Korean coronavirus outbreak.
lsquare likes this.
Old Mar 15, 20, 10:47 pm

Originally Posted by Aventine View Post
They should be doing room service breakfast then. I wouldn't just let it go. I'd find another Hyatt that will honor its obligations.

Andaz Seoul let me have room service breakfast during the peak of the Korean coronavirus outbreak.
I agree they should do room service breakfast.

If not they should credit back ~$25 to your folio per day and you should be able to get breakfast elsewhere. I definitely would ask for the hotel manager for a resolution especially on a multi-night stay.
Old Mar 16, 20, 7:41 am
skj

Programs: UA 2MM, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Gold
Just let it go. These are extraordinary times.

If the restaurant is closed, the kitchen is also likely closed and room service won't be an option. Similarly, you're unlikely to find another nearby property or even a restaurant that offers more services.

As far as asking for a credit ... properties in the Houston area are running at under 10% capacity currently and that's going to continue for the foreseeable future. I suspect that's true nationwide, if not worldwide. They are under plenty of pressure and, IMHO, don't need someone whining about some temporary reduction in entitlements.
SF1K, dw, hedoman and 1 others like this.
Old Mar 16, 20, 7:51 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA Plat, WN CP, Hilton GoId, IHG Spire, Hyatt Globalist, Citi, Barclay, Chase, Amex, CapOne
Other nearby restaurants are all open for carryout business. That's why it's a bit frustrating that they said to pound sand. Ultimately, it is not worth a fight, but it will mean spending an extra $100++ over the next several days. A $60/day credit, which would be the approx cost of breakfast for two in the restaurant at the hotel, is probably too much to ask, I agree, given the current climate. But $25 or 30 to get something from a nearby place? Seems like a reasonable ask. Apparently not.
Old Mar 16, 20, 8:32 am
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by orca1114 View Post
Other nearby restaurants are all open for carryout business. That's why it's a bit frustrating that they said to pound sand. Ultimately, it is not worth a fight, but it will mean spending an extra $100++ over the next several days. A $60/day credit, which would be the approx cost of breakfast for two in the restaurant at the hotel, is probably too much to ask, I agree, given the current climate. But $25 or 30 to get something from a nearby place? Seems like a reasonable ask. Apparently not.
Maybe you should name these Chicago area Hyatts so others can be aware of their breakfast policies.
Old Mar 16, 20, 9:01 am
Original Poster

Centric Loop. Apparently their occupancy this week is 5%-15%. Yikes.

Their director reached out a few minutes ago and said they'll take care of me, either with points or a reasonable credit for the remainder of my stay when breakfast isn't available. Only two globs staying on property right now. I'm sure it'll work out.

Stay safe all.
24.05.2004 and lsquare like this.
Old Mar 16, 20, 10:44 am

Originally Posted by skj View Post
Just let it go. These are extraordinary times.

If the restaurant is closed, the kitchen is also likely closed and room service won't be an option. Similarly, you're unlikely to find another nearby property or even a restaurant that offers more services.

As far as asking for a credit ... properties in the Houston area are running at under 10% capacity currently and that's going to continue for the foreseeable future. I suspect that's true nationwide, if not worldwide. They are under plenty of pressure and, IMHO, don't need someone whining about some temporary reduction in entitlements.
If theyíre under 10% why are their prices still high? Iím trying to book a stay in Houston at either the HR by the Galleria or Downtown and both are $120+.

Iíve seen their rates both under $100 in the last month so guessing they donít want business that badly.

Anyways OP was able to resolve it with the manager, which I think is a fair resolution. Though nearby restaurants may be closed for dining in I believe 80% or more are doing carry-out right now.
Old Mar 16, 20, 10:51 am

Programs: BA Meltdown soft-landed Silver, OZ♦+ (BR/UA), B6 Mosaic, WoH♦, Mlife Noir, TR 7*
Originally Posted by Matt4200 View Post
If they’re under 10% why are their prices still high? I’m trying to book a stay in Houston at either the HR by the Galleria or Downtown and both are $120+.
Hotels will scale operations down to match occupancy levels, often shutting entire floors down - so it's not necessarily that hotels will have a huge oversupply that they'll want to dump and they still need to cover incremental costs. Some properties will go <80% for entire seasons (and even lower for some limited service properties) and there's no reason to discount too aggressively then either.

It's not like commercial airline flights where there is a huge operational cost per flight (base fuel load, standard flight crew, minimum FAA-mandated FA staffing) that scales extremely well.
gadberry likes this.
Old Mar 16, 20, 9:21 pm

Programs: AA Ex Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum, Marriott Gold
Another general breakfast data point (not Globalist-specific): staying at Tucson HP Central this evening and all breakfast, kitchen, and bar service is suspended. They may have some pre-packaged breakfast takeaways in the morning apparently (muffins and whatnot).
Old Mar 17, 20, 8:36 pm

Programs: AA Splat, Marriott LT Ti, Hyatt Glob
LET. IT. GO. Jiminy...

And tip your housekeeper well.
Quinlanty likes this.
Old Mar 20, 20, 9:32 am

Programs: Marriott Plat since 2008. Hyatt Diamond since 2015
Hyatt Regency where I'm at canceled breakfast today (was allowing room service). I get it. I'm glad they are still open as many nearby competitors have closed.
Old Mar 20, 20, 1:54 pm

Programs: Delta DM, Hyatt Diamond
Hyatt regency Cleveland was at 10% occupancy last night. Kitchen closed, no room service. Gave me 2000 pts at checkout due to lack of glob brkfst. I took the pts but I would not have asked for anything. Was glad they were open. And I did tip housekeeping.
Quinlanty likes this.
Old Mar 25, 20, 10:32 am

Programs: AAdvantage ExecPlat, World of Hyatt Globalist, plain "member" of Marriott, IHG, enterprise, etc.
This was all from last week:
Not really breakfast benefit for globalist, but a random sampling of how HH and HPs are handling this:

HP Alburquerque --just bananas, apples, and coffee put out self serve. (The self serve coffee violates the whole rule of let's not all touch the same thing. Definitely felt more cheap than careful)
HP Page -- Breakfast as usual. People seemed way too casual here!
HP Vegas Silverton -- Breakfast as usual, but very obviously had an employee going through and cleaning utensils and surfaces constantly. Saw an elderly couple both scold the front desk about the breakfast buffet being open AND help themselves to heaping plates of everything like it was their only meal for the day.
HH Provo -- Assortment of pre-packaged fruits, breakfast sandwiches (which can be heated in your own room's microwave), pastries, milk cups, juice cups, all for quick and easy grab and go. (Very diverse offerings, minimized likelihood of cross contamination as long as nobody is touching everything, was still able to enjoy a good breakfast)
HH Denver tech -- A grab bag with a piece of fruit, a muffin, and a bottle of water. (felt very cheap)

All places were very empty -- maybe 10-15 cars in the parking lot at each place. HH Provo was by far the winner -- showing both consideration for the crises while not being a cheapskate about it.
Old Mar 25, 20, 1:37 pm

Programs: Delta Skymiles
I just hope these hotels make it. Now is not the time to stand on ceremony in my opinion. Many of them are small businesses that are being absolutely clobbered right now.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: