Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Best Manhattan Hyatt ( on a budget) for Globalist benefits?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Best Manhattan Hyatt ( on a budget) for Globalist benefits?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 3, 2020, 12:50 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Swiss Senator, Flying Blue Gold, BA EC Gold, Hyatt Globalist
Thanks again. One more question on the Centric: the gym looks quite big, what's your experience with it?
Old Mar 3, 2020, 1:38 pm

Originally Posted by Mozart0815
Thanks again. One more question on the Centric: the gym looks quite big, what's your experience with it?
It has many treadmills, a lat pull down, chest press and shoulder press. It also has dumb bells and kettle bells.
Mozart0815 likes this.
Old Mar 3, 2020, 2:32 pm

Originally Posted by Mozart0815
The gym is impressive. The top floor bar is impressive too (but VERY expensive). Beyond that, the public areas are pretty meh.... it's a tall very slender tower so I guess they didn't have that much to work with.... staff are decent by NYC standards. Also, note that despite the name it does NOT face into Times Square. It's a half block off of it, which could be good or bad depending on your desires. Some rooms have a sliver view of the square.
Mozart0815 likes this.
Old Mar 3, 2020, 3:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL, OZ, AC, AS, AA, BA, Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott, IHG
Originally Posted by Kacee
The Grand Hyatt is a horrible, awful hotel. They've stopped maintaining it, since it's closing for demolition at the end of the year.

Gild Hall gets lots of positive reviews. I was just at Hyatt Union Square and only recommend it if you don't mind a truly tiny room.
Have the GHNY set a date on when they'll close for good?
Old Mar 4, 2020, 12:14 pm

Originally Posted by lsquare
Have the GHNY set a date on when they'll close for good?
There's no specific date and I don't think the closure is certain. They are accepting reservations/conferences/events into the foreseeable future (into 2022). I wouldn't be at all surprised to see the entire project cancelled/changed and the GH could be there in its present form for many years to come (the project anticipated a new GH in a new mixed use building, but the market for those types of building in NYC was declining even before recent events).
Old Mar 4, 2020, 12:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL, OZ, AC, AS, AA, BA, Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott, IHG
Originally Posted by txhyattlvr
There's no specific date and I don't think the closure is certain. They are accepting reservations/conferences/events into the foreseeable future (into 2022). I wouldn't be at all surprised to see the entire project cancelled/changed and the GH could be there in its present form for many years to come (the project anticipated a new GH in a new mixed use building, but the market for those types of building in NYC was declining even before recent events).
I think the press release said the GH will be replaced with a new hotel. I'm assuming it'll be another GH or at least a Hyatt property? With the Coronoavirus spreading rapidly in the US, I guess the risk of a recession is getting higher and higher. I think the Fed's decision yesterday morning more or less confirmed it for me. If the recession does materializes, I guess you could be right that the entire project could be derailed. It's not like this stuff didn't happened during the Great Recession of 2008.
Old Mar 4, 2020, 1:00 pm

Originally Posted by lsquare
I think the press release said the GH will be replaced with a new hotel. I'm assuming it'll be another GH or at least a Hyatt property? With the Coronoavirus spreading rapidly in the US, I guess the risk of a recession is getting higher and higher. I think the Fed's decision yesterday morning more or less confirmed it for me. If the recession does materializes, I guess you could be right that the entire project could be derailed. It's not like this stuff didn't happened during the Great Recession of 2008.
It was supposed to be another GH in a mixed use skyscraper.... but the scuttlebutt around the time of the announcement was that it was a very tentative "deal" which still required lots of various NYC-related approvals. Personally, I think the odds of it going through as announced are very slim. The GH may still close in 2022, however.
lsquare and ZBigFam like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.