Wiki Posts
Search

Prices went up significantly?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 2, 2020, 8:12 am
Original Poster

Prices went up significantly?

Hey Everyone,

I’m somewhat new to the Hyatt world. I have been enjoying Hyatts since mid January of this year.

I suddenly noticed that prices seem to have gone up at all of the Hyatts where I would normally book and visit. I could usually find a cheaper Hyatt Place and occasionally a HR for somewhere between 75-100. Now, the range is 100-135 for the same properties.

This is across the board, almost regardless of any dates that I enter, and includes a few different states.

The only thing I can think of is that most of the Hyatts that I would visit are in the Midwest. (MN, IA, WI, IL) and we are starting to get out of the bitter cold so maybe I just happened to join Hyatt during the cheap season?

So, basically, is that it? Did all prices go up? Is this what I should expect the range for Hyatts to be going forward?

Getting to globalist seemed do-able at 85-100/night but a little less worth it at 100-135.
Old Mar 2, 2020, 8:34 am

Programs: AAdvantage ExecPlat, World of Hyatt Globalist, plain "member" of Marriott, IHG, enterprise, etc.
Originally Posted by BobJohnson
Hey Everyone,

I’m somewhat new to the Hyatt world. I have been enjoying Hyatts since mid January of this year.

I suddenly noticed that prices seem to have gone up at all of the Hyatts where I would normally book and visit. I could usually find a cheaper Hyatt Place and occasionally a HR for somewhere between 75-100. Now, the range is 100-135 for the same properties.

This is across the board, almost regardless of any dates that I enter, and includes a few different states.

The only thing I can think of is that most of the Hyatts that I would visit are in the Midwest. (MN, IA, WI, IL) and we are starting to get out of the bitter cold so maybe I just happened to join Hyatt during the cheap season?

So, basically, is that it? Did all prices go up? Is this what I should expect the range for Hyatts to be going forward?

Getting to globalist seemed do-able at 85-100/night but a little less worth it at 100-135.
As one that frequently travels to the upper midwest, the answer is yes -- Hyatts go up quite a bit in the summer in those states. But that is true of all hotels in the region, car rentals, flights, etc. A low to mid quality roadside hotel in a small midwestern town can be 50$ a night during the winter, but is easily 150$ a night for much of the summer (with big blocks of rooms booked for weddings, family reunions, etc).

Availability gets tight, rates go up. I try to book in advanced, but still end up burning points.
Old Mar 2, 2020, 9:18 am

Hyatt, in general, is not going to be your cheapest major brand. If that’s your primary driver then it’s best to pursue status elsewhere. Wyndham and IHG are probably the best bets...
LoungeLizardHugo likes this.
Old Mar 2, 2020, 10:23 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond
If I may I would suggest (if your goal is Globalist), look into the World of Hyatt Credit Card. I believe you get 50,000 points for signing up which can go a long ways and you get night credit towards globalist even staying on points.

The Hyatt Place in Eden Prairie, MN just moved to a Category 1 meaning it’s 5,000 points. Which is a great deal.

Around the winter in these Midwestern states rates will drop heavily, some even having availability at 3,500 points a night.

Summer especially in MN and IL will go up heavily because it’s tourist season, family’s go visit and the less rooms available the more prices go up.

The great thing I like about Hyatt is most properties have a 48 hour cancellation policy, so you could book a Mid-August stay way back in December. Booking early tends to make the prices more favorable, and if you end up not being able to go you can cancel without penalty.
Old Mar 2, 2020, 10:26 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by BobJohnson
Absolutely. There is a strong seasonal component to hotel prices in the Midwest (and not just the Midwest). If you look at hotel prices over the course of a year in the Midwest, you'll find that prices tend to be lowest in the first quarter.

But it's not just Hyatt, competitors' prices rise, too. (Not sure if you find that consoling.)
GUWonder likes this.
Old Mar 2, 2020, 3:47 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist
This is *especially* true in Chicago. Throughout the winter you can pretty regularly find downtown hotels in great locations for ~$100/nt. And suburbs at $70-80/nt.

Once you move into the warmer parts of the year those downtown hotels can easily be $200-300+/nt (and that's not even on special events!).
Old Mar 2, 2020, 4:13 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
January and February are the slowest travel months of the year. Even NYC is dirt cheap.
lsquare likes this.
Old Mar 3, 2020, 6:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL, OZ, AC, AS, AA, BA, Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott, IHG
Originally Posted by Kacee
January and February are the slowest travel months of the year. Even NYC is dirt cheap.
Totally agree with you. I've been to NYC a few times in the past two months and the prices are quite low. However, NYC is very cold in the winter...
Old Mar 3, 2020, 7:48 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by lsquare
NYC is very cold in the winter...
Not if you've ever lived in Minnesota
lsquare, AirbusFan2B and 59Impala like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.