Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Best use of WoH Points for a secluded beach vacation

Old Feb 28, 20, 10:05 am
Original Poster

Hello all,

In preparation of my wife and my 10th anniversary as well as our 40th birthday, we're looking for a secluded, ultra relaxing, beach vacation.
What do you all think is the best hotel to spend WoH points for such a vacation?

I first had in mind the Park Hyatt Maldives Hadahaa, but IMHO, because the basic room that's accessible with points isn't that great (or not as great as a watervilla) and how expensive everything else is on the island (food, transfer, etc.) that's not such a great deal.
I've discovered a new SLH partner hotel: Calala Island in Nicaragua, that fits the bill very well. It's all inclusive so no added cost, all rooms are almost the same. But it's 40k/night and that's a lot of points.

Any other ideas?

FYI I'm a Discoverist (thanks to the Chase Credit Card).
I'm looking to make up my mind by the end of March.

Thanks a lot,
Ben.
Old Feb 28, 20, 3:49 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, UA Premier Silver, Southwest A List,Spirit Lover
Iíd reccomend Mexico.

The Ziva Cancun (all inclusive 25k points) is a very special place for my spouse and I... it sits on the end of a Peninsula surrounded by ocean on three sides. Best beaches in Cancun. Food is good. Service is excellent. The good reviews are accurate. The bad reviews are mostly whiners and/or sour grapes. We have **very high standards and love this property to death.

Beach quality in Cancun, especially near Ziva, (warm clear water) is, for me, second only to Tahiti.

Zilara Cancun is nice too but the beach and pools are inferior (although you are likely to get an ocean front room there).

Another more expensive but more secluded option is Andaz Mayacoba.

While there are arguably nicer places in the world, itís almost impossible to beat the quality and value (bang for your buck) of Riviera Maya...
Old Feb 28, 20, 5:47 pm

Andaz Papagayo
Old Feb 28, 20, 5:54 pm

Originally Posted by Matt4200 View Post
Andaz Papagayo
NOT a beach resort... and based on your previous posts, I doubt youíve even been there (yet). Odd to recommend a place you havenít visited.
Hydro88 likes this.
Old Feb 28, 20, 5:57 pm

Look at place in Positano, Italy or Cannes (Martinez), or Park Hyatt in Mallorca.
All this being said if you are going in Summer.
Old Feb 28, 20, 6:06 pm

Originally Posted by txhyattlvr View Post
NOT a beach resort... and based on your previous posts, I doubt youíve even been there (yet). Odd to recommend a place you havenít visited.
Seems like a beach resort to me, itís isolated making it more intimate than Zilara which is more crowded and party atmosphere.

Papagayo is our honeymoon destination after months of research. Itís also going up in Category so they must be doing something right
Old Feb 28, 20, 6:38 pm

Programs: UA Plat, AA Gold, LH Silver, Bonvoy LTTE, HH Dia, Hyatt Disc, PC Plat, CC Gold
Have you looked at CuisiNart Resort on Anguilla? I will be able to report back shortly on how it is.
Old Feb 28, 20, 6:42 pm

Originally Posted by christianj View Post
Have you looked at CuisiNart Resort on Anguilla? I will be able to report back shortly on how it is.
I for one can confirm Anguilla has the beast beaches in the entire caribbean. No question. I'd go as far to say it is in my top 2, along with Northern Australia.
Never stayed at Cusineart but saw it passing by. Looks nice.
Old Feb 28, 20, 7:12 pm

Originally Posted by Matt4200 View Post
Seems like a beach resort to me, itís isolated making it more intimate than Zilara which is more crowded and party atmosphere.

Papagayo is our honeymoon destination after months of research. Itís also going up in Category so they must be doing something right
Right. So you havenít been there. Why not wait till you have experienced it personally before recommending it to others (which implies you have first hand knowledge)? Seems logical. Or at least point out that you havenít actually been there...

Iím not saying Papagayo isnít nice... it is... but it sits high up on a hill, well above an ďinlandĒ beach which faces into a bay, not the open ocean. There is little to no wave action and the water is murky. If you call that a ďbeach resortĒ then more power to you.

As for Ziva and Zilara, I seriously doubt youíve been to either of them, either, but to call them ďpartyĒ resorts is also inaccurate and misleading. The average age at Zilara is probably 50+..... and most are in bed by 10.

I base my Ziva/Zilara comments on 10+ visits over the past two years.
Hydro88 and dpb132 like this.
Old Feb 28, 20, 9:30 pm

Programs: MR-Amb, Hyatt-Globalist, AA-EXP
Originally Posted by txhyattlvr View Post
I’d reccomend Mexico.

The Ziva Cancun (all inclusive 25k points) is a very special place for my spouse and I... it sits on the end of a Peninsula surrounded by ocean on three sides. Best beaches in Cancun. Food is good. Service is excellent. The good reviews are accurate. The bad reviews are mostly whiners and/or sour grapes. We have **very high standards and love this property to death.

Beach quality in Cancun, especially near Ziva, (warm clear water) is, for me, second only to Tahiti.

Zilara Cancun is nice too but the beach and pools are inferior (although you are likely to get an ocean front room there).

Another more expensive but more secluded option is Andaz Mayacoba.

While there are arguably nicer places in the world, it’s almost impossible to beat the quality and value (bang for your buck) of Riviera Maya...
This comment is great to hear. St. Regis Punta Mita has been our go to Mexico vacation for as long as I can remember, but with the recent Bonvoy point increases, my shift away from earning Bonvoy points with CC spend, and the declining elite treatment over our last 2-3 stays, we've been looking into trying somewhere new and Mexico is hard to beat for ease of travel. I've read the threads on both Cancun properties and the Andaz and as you noted, the reviews are largely positive but there are some overly negative reviews sprinkled in.

We were going to try to Andaz this year, but we spend a ton of time on the beach and there was a pretty bad seaweed issue when we were looking so we decided against it. Hoping to check it out this year though. The Zilara properties have always intrigued us, but our prior all-inclusive experiences have mostly been negative (too many heavy drinkers, loud and poor/inconsistent restaurant quality). We may have to take a closer look though. It seems like the Cancun properties are considered to be nicer than the Puerto Vallarta and other locations, but would love your thoughts on the best one to try for a family looking for a luxury trip. We mostly care about being able to upgrade to suite with TSU, restaurant quality, and availability of beach and pool chairs.

Sorry for hi-jacking the thread, but back to the original question. Several of the new SLH Caribbean additions probably fit your bill the best, but most are pricey for points, which may not be ideal. It gets mixed reviews, but we really enjoyed our PH St. Kitts trip so that may be worth checking out. The resort is pretty secluded on the far end of the island and it was pretty spread out and never felt overly crowded. I didn't love the beach, but the hard product was great and we would definitely go back.
Old Feb 29, 20, 7:36 am

Originally Posted by spgplat21 View Post
This comment is great to hear. St. Regis Punta Mita has been our go to Mexico vacation for as long as I can remember, but with the recent Bonvoy point increases, my shift away from earning Bonvoy points with CC spend, and the declining elite treatment over our last 2-3 stays, we've been looking into trying somewhere new and Mexico is hard to beat for ease of travel. I've read the threads on both Cancun properties and the Andaz and as you noted, the reviews are largely positive but there are some overly negative reviews sprinkled in.

We were going to try to Andaz this year, but we spend a ton of time on the beach and there was a pretty bad seaweed issue when we were looking so we decided against it. Hoping to check it out this year though. The Zilara properties have always intrigued us, but our prior all-inclusive experiences have mostly been negative (too many heavy drinkers, loud and poor/inconsistent restaurant quality). We may have to take a closer look though. It seems like the Cancun properties are considered to be nicer than the Puerto Vallarta and other locations, but would love your thoughts on the best one to try for a family looking for a luxury trip. We mostly care about being able to upgrade to suite with TSU, restaurant quality, and availability of beach and pool chairs.

Sorry for hi-jacking the thread, but back to the original question. Several of the new SLH Caribbean additions probably fit your bill the best, but most are pricey for points, which may not be ideal. It gets mixed reviews, but we really enjoyed our PH St. Kitts trip so that may be worth checking out. The resort is pretty secluded on the far end of the island and it was pretty spread out and never felt overly crowded. I didn't love the beach, but the hard product was great and we would definitely go back.
Ziva Cancun all the way... beaches there are fabulous and rarely significantly impacted by Seaweed (even when other beaches are covered).

TSU confirms into gorgeous suites...
Old Feb 29, 20, 8:41 am

Programs: United 1K, Hyatt Diamond, Accor Platinum, Marriot Gold, Hilton Diamond
The OP is based in Paris (so why limit them to the Caribbean?), mentions considering the Maldives, and states that they are looking for a "secluded, ultra relaxing, beach vacation". Cancun doesn't really fit the bill here does it? I've been to both Ziva and Zilara in Cancun and while I did enjoy my stays I would't go there for a milestone birthday/anniversary if I was looking for somewhere secluded.

I enjoyed my recent stay at the Unbound in Phu Quoc Vietnam (although some others have stated on FT that they don't like the place). It is very isolated and relaxing. You could pair it with a few days at the PH Saigon. There are a number of SLHs in Bali and Thailand that look interesting. With southeast Asia it all depends on the time of year as if you go during monsoon season you get a lot of rain, heat and humidity. And, of course, there is the coronovirus to worry about--but since the OP mentions making a decision by the end of March there is still time to see if southeast Asia is an option.

Last edited by gspurr; Feb 29, 20 at 8:57 am
Old Feb 29, 20, 9:02 am

Programs: United 1K, Hyatt Diamond, Accor Platinum, Marriot Gold, Hilton Diamond
One more note. I haven't stayed at the PH St. Kitts but I did go to St. Kitts and Nevis for my honeymoon and loved these islands. The PH there would certainly be secluded.
Old Feb 29, 20, 9:18 am

Originally Posted by gspurr View Post
The OP is based in Paris (so why limit them to the Caribbean?), mentions considering the Maldives, and states that they are looking for a "secluded, ultra relaxing, beach vacation". Cancun doesn't really fit the bill here does it? I've been to both Ziva and Zilara in Cancun and while I did enjoy my stays I would't go there for a milestone birthday/anniversary if I was looking for somewhere secluded.

I enjoyed my recent stay at the Unbound in Phu Quoc Vietnam (although some others have stated on FT that they don't like the place). It is very isolated and relaxing. You could pair it with a few days at the PH Saigon. There are a number of SLHs in Bali and Thailand that look interesting. With southeast Asia it all depends on the time of year as if you go during monsoon season you get a lot of rain, heat and humidity. And, of course, there is the coronovirus to worry about--but since the OP mentions making a decision by the end of March there is still time to see if southeast Asia is an option.
If you're talking Vietnam, that Hyatt in Danang is pretty nice too. Beach isn't amazing, but enjoyable, great breakfast, near Hoi An, etc.
Old Feb 29, 20, 10:47 am

Not ziva cancun

Been there twice, yes beach is nice but far from secluded. Yes good value of points but wont get any recognition for just discoverist.
think you're going to need to look somewhat off the beaten path or use 30k night or more for luxury collection vs mainstream
Jmho

Search this Thread
Search Engine: