Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Tempe Mission Palms REVIEW MASTER THREAD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Tempe Mission Palms REVIEW MASTER THREAD

Search this Thread

Old Feb 26, 2022, 3:49 pm

Originally Posted by River in Sight
Had another one night stay last night prior to flying out today. Very similar to the above except I had a north facing room looking at the Butte (hotel was once again sold out so no upgrades were available; a great value on points). Around 9-10 minutes to the airport this morning, although the airport itself is a zoo.
Is this with hotel shuttle or car? And is a car rental worthwhile assuming one can find things to do in the area, or would hotel shuttle/walking be sufficient for a short overnight stay? I am looking at $61 for less than 24 hours of a car rental, so trying to decide if it is worthwhile
Old Feb 26, 2022, 4:22 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA GLD, AA GLD 1MM, Hyatt Glob, Marriott LT Titanium
Originally Posted by Seagull689
Is this with hotel shuttle or car? And is a car rental worthwhile assuming one can find things to do in the area, or would hotel shuttle/walking be sufficient for a short overnight stay?
I had a rental car; the rental car center was an absolute zoo with a long queue to get on the bus back to the terminal. I dropped my family off at the terminal which was around an 8-9 minute drive, then it took me another 35+ minutes to return the car and get back to the terminal myself. I had to wait for the 4th shuttle bus, then it was around a 12 minute ride back to Terminal 4. If I had to do it again, I probably would've returned the car yesterday locally in Tempe/Scottsdale and then taken the shuttle or an Uber to PHX this morning. I burned a ton of time this morning with the airport rental car center.

If you're going for a short overnight, I personally would not get a car - I think getting and returning the car will eat up a lot of time - you can take the shuttle or light rail to the hotel, then uber/lyft as needed.
Old Feb 26, 2022, 7:53 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
I had a rental car; the rental car center was an absolute zoo with a long queue to get on the bus back to the terminal. I dropped my family off at the terminal which was around an 8-9 minute drive, then it took me another 35+ minutes to return the car and get back to the terminal myself. I had to wait for the 4th shuttle bus, then it was around a 12 minute ride back to Terminal 4. If I had to do it again, I probably would've returned the car yesterday locally in Tempe/Scottsdale and then taken the shuttle or an Uber to PHX this morning. I burned a ton of time this morning with the airport rental car center.
That's a bit unusual. Most of the time the rental center works pretty well, as these things go (never as convenient as on-airport rental). Sounds like you hit a peak time during high season.
Old Feb 27, 2022, 3:25 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP, Hyatt Glob, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, Total Wine & More Reserve
then it took me another 35+ minutes to return the car and get back to the terminal myself. I had to wait for the 4th shuttle bus, then it was around a 12 minute ride back to Terminal 4.
Next time, consider taking the T3 shuttle and then Sky Train to T4. I did this a couple times in late 2020/early 2021 when they were limiting capacity on the shuttles and there were close to 100 people in the lines for the T4 shuttles, and hardly anyone going to T3.
River in Sight and Kacee like this.
Old Mar 6, 2022, 7:18 am
Marriott 5+ Badge

Programs: Delta Diamond, Bonvoy something good; sometimes other things too
Stayed here recently. As others have said, it can feel like a time capsule to the 80s. Indeed it feels like you're traveling to the 80s rather than the property having been hanging around since the 80s because the rooms and property are in a remarkably good state of repair -- nothing is worn or shabby, just of a slightly outdated style.

Not clear exactly what the Globalist breakfast allowance is but it's generous; one morning I paid for myself and 2 colleagues (expecting to need to cover 1) and the entire amount was removed from the bill. If you're in a rush, be aware that the made-to-order items can be a bit slow, but there is also the buffet option.

As others have mentioned, if you enter from 5th Street there is free (tips-only) valet parking. Usually pretty fast as they are just parking in lots adjacent to the driveway, but occasionally had to chase someone down to take or retrieve the car during early morning and later evening hours. If you enter from 3rd Street there is a public metered parking lot which the front desk can give you a free pass for, which I found easier, although the door to that corner of the hotel is usually closed and locked at night. (You can also switch back and forth between the two parking options during a single stay.)

I liked that the hotel still offers "real" room service served on a tray with actual plates, rather than the takeaway style boxes that many hotels have moved to, or eliminating it altogether.

My only real complaint with the property is that the gym is pretty small and can get crowded if there's more than 1 person wanting to use the limited weight equipment.
River in Sight likes this.
Old Jun 10, 2022, 4:48 pm
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: QF, VA, AC, Hyatt, Marriott
I am stunned this hotel is 4-Diamond rated. I can only assume something like 20 Diamonds is the top rating if this gets 4.

As bgriffand others have noted, it's straight out of the 80s. I was surprised not to find a rotary dial telephone and maybe a typewriter in the room. I used a TSU and was put in a one bedroom king suite. The website says it has 3 televisions and a work desk. There were 2 TVs and no work desk. The image also shows a spacious bedroom with an armchair. In reality, my bedroom was so cramped, one of the two wardrobe doors only opened halfway on account of hitting the nightstand.

Like bgriff, I also had no idea what the actual Globalist breakfast allowance is. One morning, the hostess told me it was $30 but the server later corrected her saying, "It's actually $20." The next day, the same hostess told me $30 again. In reality, I never went over $30 and never paid anything in the end so it didn't matter. The buffet is $15-odd and there's a menu of about 6 items ranging in price from $11 to $16. The buffet was quite average. Scrambled eggs were largely just lumps. The granola was straight outta the discount aisle at Whole Foods.

The great rort that is the "destination fee", although waived for Globalists, was well out of date. It supposedly includes a copy of USA Today but when I enquired I was told to go to CVS; papers haven't been supplied since pre-covid. I also don't believe there's a UPS store onsite and while you can make coffee in your room, there's no tea (contrary to the list of so-called destination fee inclusions).

The pool area is above average but it's quite bland. It could really benefit from some greenery.

Two 1L bottles of water were provided complimentary each day.

The pool bar closed early one day. When I placed an order for a drink through room service, I was delivered a double serving "because you had to wait" which was nice.

Staff were mainly average with a couple of standouts, one being a very nice young lady at reception. The bellman were also quite cheery and helpful and there was one gentleman poolside who seemed to enjoy his job. Other front desk staff were mediocre at best. At check-out I was asked how my stay was, to which I replied, "Pretty average." It garnered no response whatsoever and the agent continued about her work.

I took a Lyft from the airport to the hotel for $15. The hotel has a complimentary airport shuttle. However, I think it only runs to the airport and doesn't do pick-ups at the airport.
Old Jun 10, 2022, 6:41 pm

Originally Posted by danger
I am stunned this hotel is 4-Diamond rated. I can only assume something like 20 Diamonds is the top rating if this gets 4.

As bgriffand others have noted, it's straight out of the 80s. I was surprised not to find a rotary dial telephone and maybe a typewriter in the room. I used a TSU and was put in a one bedroom king suite. The website says it has 3 televisions and a work desk. There were 2 TVs and no work desk. The image also shows a spacious bedroom with an armchair. In reality, my bedroom was so cramped, one of the two wardrobe doors only opened halfway on account of hitting the nightstand.

Like bgriff, I also had no idea what the actual Globalist breakfast allowance is. One morning, the hostess told me it was $30 but the server later corrected her saying, "It's actually $20." The next day, the same hostess told me $30 again. In reality, I never went over $30 and never paid anything in the end so it didn't matter. The buffet is $15-odd and there's a menu of about 6 items ranging in price from $11 to $16. The buffet was quite average. Scrambled eggs were largely just lumps. The granola was straight outta the discount aisle at Whole Foods.

The great rort that is the "destination fee", although waived for Globalists, was well out of date. It supposedly includes a copy of USA Today but when I enquired I was told to go to CVS; papers haven't been supplied since pre-covid. I also don't believe there's a UPS store onsite and while you can make coffee in your room, there's no tea (contrary to the list of so-called destination fee inclusions).

The pool area is above average but it's quite bland. It could really benefit from some greenery.

Two 1L bottles of water were provided complimentary each day.

The pool bar closed early one day. When I placed an order for a drink through room service, I was delivered a double serving "because you had to wait" which was nice.

Staff were mainly average with a couple of standouts, one being a very nice young lady at reception. The bellman were also quite cheery and helpful and there was one gentleman poolside who seemed to enjoy his job. Other front desk staff were mediocre at best. At check-out I was asked how my stay was, to which I replied, "Pretty average." It garnered no response whatsoever and the agent continued about her work.

I took a Lyft from the airport to the hotel for $15. The hotel has a complimentary airport shuttle. However, I think it only runs to the airport and doesn't do pick-ups at the airport.
They do pick up from the airport. Our flight was delayed with arrival shortly after the stated ending time for the shuttle service, but the valet staff was wonderful and came to pick us up during a monsoon!
milesforhire likes this.
Old Jun 10, 2022, 8:29 pm
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: QF, VA, AC, Hyatt, Marriott
Originally Posted by DealDetective
They do pick up from the airport. Our flight was delayed with arrival shortly after the stated ending time for the shuttle service, but the valet staff was wonderful and came to pick us up during a monsoon!
Good to know. It would be nice if that information was on the hotel's website. Could have saved me a few dollars.
DealDetective likes this.
Old Jun 20, 2022, 12:49 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond Hyatt Globalist
Had another 1 night stay here and was upgraded to a 1BR suite the morning of arrival in the app. Unfortunately I tested positive for Covid that same day so I had to cancel the trip. They gave me no issues in cancelling even though I was beyond the deadline so that's always appreciated. I've had pretty good treatment lately so I'm sure I'll be back before rates start to climb in the fall.
Old Jun 20, 2022, 2:26 pm

Programs: Bonvoy Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, Hertz Gold
The only way to know about the shuttle is looking at the “destination fee” LoL
Old Jul 16, 2022, 10:04 pm
Original Poster

Ended up with an overnight layover at PHX heading back from the west coast and booked a last minute stay for around $130. I was upgraded on arrival to a one bedroom suite; normally I visit in peak season so I haven’t been upgraded before. The suite is large, but there is no door between the living room (which includes a conference table, wet bar, and seating area) and the bedroom.

My family ended up having dinner in the hotel bar since a “monsoon” was looming. The food was fine and the staff extremely friendly and caring. I wouldn’t go out of my way to eat here but it did the job.

Shuttle worked well from the airport and we’re planning on the 530 back tomorrow morning. I’ve never visited in the summer and the 110 degree heat is pretty oppressive, especially after two weeks mostly spent in coastal California.

Living Room

Living Room; no door to bedroom

Bedroom
dpb132 likes this.
Old Jul 16, 2022, 10:58 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Shuttle worked well from the airport and we’re planning on the 530 back tomorrow morning. I’ve never visited in the summer and the 110 degree heat is pretty oppressive, especially after two weeks mostly spent in coastal California.
It actually hit 115 today.
Old Aug 28, 2022, 1:02 am
formerly a193991
Hyatt 5+ BadgeHilton Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt LT Globalist; LX SEN (*A Gold), AA LTG, SBB-CFF-FFS First Class GA
Originally Posted by sfgiants13
Had another 1 night stay here and was upgraded to a 1BR suite the morning of arrival in the app.
Ended up with an overnight layover at PHX heading back from the west coast and booked a last minute stay for around $130. I was upgraded on arrival to a one bedroom suite; normally I visit in peak season so I haven’t been upgraded before.
so is a 1BR Suite considered a standard suite I would get using a TSU?
there is no indication on the home page and no reports in the TSU-Forum
Old Aug 28, 2022, 6:51 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by 59Impala
so is a 1BR Suite considered a standard suite I would get using a TSU?
there is no indication on the home page and no reports in the TSU-Forum
i have never used a TSU here but doing a dummy booking it appears One Bedroom Suite and One Bedroom Suite with Terrace are both standard suites, so I assume that what I had pictured above (One Bedroom Suite - but no door to the bedroom) would be eligible for TSU use.
59Impala likes this.
Old Aug 28, 2022, 8:47 am

Programs: AA Plat Pro, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold
Just used a TSU for a six-night stay here last week. I had the option for either the 1BR Suite or the 1BR Suite with Terrace. Picked the former, and received a room very similar to the one River in Sight posted above, although mine did have a door between the living room and bedroom.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.