Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Currently On Mattress Run, checked in, when can i check out

Currently On Mattress Run, checked in, when can i check out

Old Feb 23, 20, 8:46 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by parrotheadmjb View Post
I'm about to mattress run 3 nights. I'm staying at crappy Hyatt Place (I like alot of them but not this one). They charge a $2 destination fee, should I ask them to remove it at check-in?

Also it says checkout by March 15th for the promo... checking out on March 15th itself should be ok right?
Are you a Glob?
Old Feb 23, 20, 11:53 pm
formerly a193991
Hyatt 5+ BadgeHilton Contributor Badge

Programs: LT Globalist
Originally Posted by jayer View Post
No.
Can you elaborate? I'm genuinely curious.

Thanks
My interpretation of the ďnoĒ.... if you are willing to pay for 3 nights you donít really need, why bother paying an additional 6$
Old Feb 24, 20, 12:54 am

Iím more interested in the March 15th promo I havenít seen it. Do you have a link ?
Old Feb 24, 20, 8:24 am

Programs: Marriott Plat, HH G,Hyatt E,*A Gold, OW Emerald.
Thanks
Unless you have grounds for a waiver of the fee(as per t&c), then itís a NO.
Your opinion about the validity of the fee doesnít matter!
Old Feb 24, 20, 9:53 am

Programs: FORMER Hyatt Diamond Loyalist, now Globallist
I'm about to mattress run 3 nights. I'm staying at crappy Hyatt Place (I like alot of them but not this one). They charge a $2 destination fee, should I ask them to remove it at check-in?

Also it says checkout by March 15th for the promo... checking out on March 15th itself should be ok right?
'

I have to bite. WHERE are they charging a $2 destination fee?????????????? cripes.
Old Feb 24, 20, 10:23 am

Originally Posted by creativeguess1 View Post
'

I have to bite. WHERE are they charging a $2 destination fee?????????????? cripes.
Ill just ask them to take it off at check in I guess because I really would prefer not sleep here again. It's the Hyatt place Columbia harbison. It might actually just be $1.46 but still. Last time I stayed there (actually spent the night too) there were blood stains on the couch and the shower faucet never turned all the way off so yea I definitely don't want to pay it lol. Yes I'm a globalist. Got the fee removed last time at check out but the guy looked at me like I had 5 heads and killed his grandmother when I asked about it lol.
Old Feb 24, 20, 10:51 am

Programs: Bonvoy Gold, IHG Platinum, WoH Explorist
Ill just ask them to take it off at check in I guess because I really would prefer not sleep here again. It's the Hyatt place Columbia harbison. It might actually just be $1.46 but still. Last time I stayed there (actually spent the night too) there were blood stains on the couch and the shower faucet never turned all the way off so yea I definitely don't want to pay it lol. Yes I'm a globalist. Got the fee removed last time at check out but the guy looked at me like I had 5 heads and killed his grandmother when I asked about it lol.
That fee is pretty ridiculous for that small of an amount. Also, I went to that hotel page and there is zero mention of any destination fee until you look at the bill before confirming the booking.
Old Feb 24, 20, 11:04 am
skj

Programs: UA 2MM, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Gold
The fee appears to be a 2% fee. While it shows as a "Destination Fee", are you sure it's not a poorly named local tax or fee of some kind ? It is certainly not the typical resort or destination fee.
Old Feb 24, 20, 12:12 pm

Programs: Hyatt Explorist ex-Diamond; Marriott Platinum Life; Hilton, AA, United ex-status
Sure-Not That Other People Have Not Already

It seems that you are a relatively new participant to Flyer Talk. The board has seen years worth of actual stories and discussions on Mattress Runs. It's close relative is the Phantom Stay, where you check in but never appear. Your scenario risks being considered more the second than the first. It's all been talked about on 100 threads.

Some to most hotels could care less. A few think it is funny and all a part of the game. A few think you are somehow defiling the program and will zealously resist the notion and call it a Phantom Stay if they think you are not using the room. Phantom Stays do not get stay credit. Per Hyatt not just Hotel X.

Unless you are certain the hotel is down with the idea and really appreciate knowing they do not have to remake the room; absolutely, positively don't call attention to yourself or let them know you are leaving. Check into the hotel. Key into the room. Don't hurry away. If it really is close to where you are really sleeping think about going back and eating a bit of the bad HP breakfast, and check out in person. Never check out by phone or online till the next morning. Let the system cycle. You still want a folio if you can get it.

There is a difference of opinion on this last one; but unless the hotel is in on the game I would fold back the bed, use one towel, and leave a housekeeping tip.

Finally, a destination fee is a bundled part of the room charge. Purposely mis-described, but part of the room charge. They want the money and are quite unlikely to waive it anyway. You are in this for the stay credit. Don't tip your hand over a fragment of the room rate.

Last edited by jayer; Feb 24, 20 at 12:18 pm
Old Feb 24, 20, 12:41 pm

Programs: FORMER Hyatt Diamond Loyalist, now Globallist
Smile

It seems that you are a relatively new participant to Flyer Talk. The board has seen years worth of actual stories and discussions on Mattress Runs. It's close relative is the Phantom Stay, where you check in but never appear. Your scenario risks being considered more the second than the first. It's all been talked about on 100 threads.

Some to most hotels could care less. A few think it is funny and all a part of the game. A few think you are somehow defiling the program and will zealously resist the notion and call it a Phantom Stay if they think you are not using the room. Phantom Stays do not get stay credit. Per Hyatt not just Hotel X.

Unless you are certain the hotel is down with the idea and really appreciate knowing they do not have to remake the room; absolutely, positively don't call attention to yourself or let them know you are leaving. Check into the hotel. Key into the room. Don't hurry away. If it really is close to where you are really sleeping think about going back and eating a bit of the bad HP breakfast, and check out in person. Never check out by phone or online till the next morning. Let the system cycle. You still want a folio if you can get it.

There is a difference of opinion on this last one; but unless the hotel is in on the game I would fold back the bed, use one towel, and leave a housekeeping tip.

Finally, a destination fee is a bundled part of the room charge. Purposely mis-described, but part of the room charge. They want the money and are quite unlikely to waive it anyway. You are in this for the stay credit. Don't tip your hand over a fragment of the room rate.
The BOOK FT members could write as a group over the years......................
Old Feb 24, 20, 12:58 pm

Sounds like solid advise. Thanks
Old Feb 24, 20, 1:17 pm

Programs: WN CP, Hyatt Glob, UA Silver
I was curious so I did some digging, this is most likely this 1-2% hospitality tax mentioned here, and not a resort or destination fee, so could get them to waive it, but most likely an accounting error, and something that would be properly charged on a cash stay, but shouldn't apply to award stay ($0 rate); proceed at your own risk whether you want to fight this at check-in/check-out
http://www.richlandcountysc.gov/Port...ation%20v2.pdf
Old Feb 24, 20, 5:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: WN CP, Hilton Diamond

And take the toiletries.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: