FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Hyatt | World of Hyatt (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hyatt-world-hyatt-418/)
-   -   Did OLCI. HH swiped my card anyway. Now authorization from OLCI wont' fall off (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hyatt-world-hyatt/2008970-did-olci-hh-swiped-my-card-anyway-now-authorization-olci-wont-fall-off.html)

Vangrovsky Feb 13, 2020 1:30 pm

Did OLCI. HH swiped my card anyway. Now authorization from OLCI wont' fall off

I had a reservation at a Hyatt House.

On the morning of the stay, I used the Hyatt app and did the OLCI. My credit card was authorized for $309.68. I was given a room number.

When I arrived at the Hyatt House that night, they asked for my credit card and swiped it again. My credit card got authorized for another $309.68 again.

That was more than 4 weeks ago. The actual charge of a little over $280 was cleared on my credit card. One of the $309.68 authorization went away.

However, there is still a $309.68 authorization that refuses to fall off my credit card.

What do I do to get that removed? Do I call my credit card company, Hyatt reservation, or the Hyatt House that I stayed at?

Thanks!

txhyattlvr Feb 13, 2020 1:40 pm

Originally Posted by Vangrovsky (Post 32068721)
I had a reservation at a Hyatt House.

On the morning of the stay, I used the Hyatt app and did the OLCI. My credit card was authorized for $309.68. I was given a room number.

When I arrived at the Hyatt House that night, they asked for my credit card and swiped it again. My credit card got authorized for another $309.68 again.

That was more than 4 weeks ago. The actual charge of a little over $280 was cleared on my credit card. One of the $309.68 authorization went away.

However, there is still a $309.68 authorization that refuses to fall off my credit card.

What do I do to get that removed? Do I call my credit card company, Hyatt reservation, or the Hyatt House that I stayed at?

Thanks!

Authorizations are NOT charges. It will eventually fall off. However, if you are worried about it I'd call the CC company. Hyatt House can't reverse a charge they never made (see first sentence).

Vangrovsky Feb 13, 2020 2:09 pm

Originally Posted by txhyattlvr (Post 32068757)
Authorizations are NOT charges. It will eventually fall off. However, if you are worried about it I'd call the CC company. Hyatt House can't reverse a charge they never made (see first sentence).

I realize that, but I've never seen a hotel authorization stay on the credit card for 25+ days. :)

HHonors OUTSIDER Feb 14, 2020 8:04 am

Originally Posted by Vangrovsky (Post 32068853)
I realize that, but I've never seen a hotel authorization stay on the credit card for 25+ days. :)

It will probably drop by day 31 but properties can reverse authorizations so give them a call directly.

s0ssos Feb 14, 2020 8:05 am

I don't think "authorization" means much. Why do you care? Credit card companies are pretty good at protecting the consumer (in the US at least)

Zelucifer Feb 14, 2020 4:52 pm

Originally Posted by s0ssos (Post 32071609)
I don't think "authorization" means much. Why do you care? Credit card companies are pretty good at protecting the consumer (in the US at least)

If OP doesn't have a large credit limit, it may cause some difficulty.

mahasamatman Feb 14, 2020 7:50 pm

Originally Posted by Zelucifer (Post 32073467)
If OP doesn't have a large credit limit, it may cause some difficulty.

Even $300 on a relatively low limit shouldn't cause problems unless the OP is living on the edge.

skywalkerLAX Feb 14, 2020 8:02 pm

Originally Posted by s0ssos (Post 32071609)

Because not everybody has large credit limits. In many (most) countries it's pretty much unheard of to have these huge limits we know from U.S. based cards.

Plenty of folks who can get into trouble with a couple large holds on their cards. Hotels, rental cars...

gengar Feb 14, 2020 9:47 pm

Originally Posted by txhyattlvr (Post 32068757)

This is not true - vendors can reverse authorizations, but with limitations depending on circumstance and the payment processor (e.g., in the USA, Visa/MC authorizations cannot be unilaterally voided by the vendor after 24 hours for CP transactions).

Originally Posted by HHonors OUTSIDER (Post 32071603)
It will probably drop by day 31 but properties can reverse authorizations so give them a call directly.

It depends on the payment processor. I mentioned one of the restrictions above for Visa/MC. AMEX is fine.

Vangrovsky Feb 15, 2020 3:36 am

Originally Posted by mahasamatman (Post 32073782)
Even $300 on a relatively low limit shouldn't cause problems unless the OP is living on the edge.

it's not really about that... I've had this happen to me before at a couple of Marriott hotels. The double authorization just wouldn't fall off, even after almost 5 weeks. I called the hotel and was told that they would take care of it. However, by the next billing cycle, the authorization turned into an actual charge. I didn't noticed it when I was paying my credit card bill.(in full) Fortunately, I caught it after another month. Called the hotel and they refunded it.

jayer Feb 15, 2020 11:57 am

Years ago in a less online world it was 30 days for a default dropoff, unless the merchant released it (and I am assuming I am way older than you).

The problem can also be at your bank. Perhaps more likely to be at your bank.

Unless you are completely up against the credit limit I might not stir the pot till it has been 40 days since checkout, for fear of somebody at the hotel making it worse trying to help. Even then I would call my card bank not the hotel.

Vangrovsky Feb 17, 2020 9:18 am

Originally Posted by jayer (Post 32075662)
Years ago in a less online world it was 30 days for a default dropoff, unless the merchant released it (and I am assuming I am way older than you).

The problem can also be at your bank. Perhaps more likely to be at your bank.

Unless you are completely up against the credit limit I might not stir the pot till it has been 40 days since checkout, for fear of somebody at the hotel making it worse trying to help. Even then I would call my card bank not the hotel.

I called the bank and the Hilton hotel.

Not that I was surprised or anything, but they are asking me to call the other. Banks said it wasn't their problem and the hotel had to release it. When I said that the hotel said that they had already released it long ago, the bank suggested calling the hotel again.

When I called the hotel, they said to call the bank because the hotel had already released the authorization the day after I checked out.

So I did the next best thing and put them both on a conference call. They talked with each other and blamed each other. Was it wrong that I enjoyed listening to the almost-catfight-like conversation between the two reps?(which lasted almost 15 minutes without me saying a word, other than "yes" or "ok" a couple of times to let them that I was still on the line)

So I was back to square one. Oh well, I guess I'll just have to wait. :)

formeraa Feb 17, 2020 3:11 pm

Originally Posted by Vangrovsky (Post 32081945)

Not that I was surprised or anything, but they are asking me to call the other. Banks said it wasn't their problem and the hotel had to release it. When I said that the hotel said that they had already released it long ago, the bank suggested calling the hotel again.

When I called the hotel, they said to call the bank because the hotel had already released the authorization the day after I checked out.

So I did the next best thing and put them both on a conference call. They talked with each other and blamed each other. Was it wrong that I enjoyed listening to the almost-catfight-like conversation between the two reps?(which lasted almost 15 minutes without me saying a word, other than "yes" or "ok" a couple of times to let them that I was still on the line)

Funny. But I wonder if the app does something different or the hotel staff are not trained on what the app deos and/or how to release that authorization.

gengar Feb 18, 2020 11:10 pm

Originally Posted by Vangrovsky (Post 32081945)

As I've reported previously on FT, Citi's procedure is actually to conference in the vendor and card holder (as you did) and verify with vendor that the authorization is to be voided. I don't know what the official process is for other banks but I'm not sure why the appropriate procedure wasn't known to the bank representative.