Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

New to Hyatt WoH - Chase CC Question and How it Applies to Hyatt Accounts

Old Feb 12, 20, 6:12 pm
FT
Original Poster

Hi, I'm new to Hyatt and have a question that I'm hoping the community can address. I've looked through the various stickies, but can't get an up to date answer.

My wife is in the market for a new CC; I am most certainly not in the market as a primary cardholder. She and I together are part of the AMEX ecosystem so she's looking for a new non-AMEX for her personal/work spend. I'm the one that does most of the traveling though. If she gets the Hyatt Chase card then of course Discoverist status, the free night, and the qualifying nights would apply to her Hyatt account. If I become an authorized user on her Chase card presumably, tied to my Hyatt account, which account receives the 4x Hyatt points?

I believe it would be her as the primary. And that my account would earn the 5x + whatever bonus through elite status come with it.

Would it make more sense - assuming I'm fine forego'ing elite benefits when I travel for work - for my reservation to be under her name with me as a secondary? She'd earn the status and the points and Hyatt wouldn't have to provide any additional benefits like upgrades unless they did it voluntarily. I don't believe this would go against their term?

I'd still need to be an authorized user on her Chase card to use for reservation and check in, no?

Thanks
Old Feb 12, 20, 7:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: WN CP, Hilton Diamond
The rules say that to get the points/stay credit, the person in whose name the reservation has been made must “occupy” or “stay.” Lots of electrons spilled here discussing this.

In reality, it often works that person A reserves for A and B, then person B checks in and stays without A and all goes fine. But if you do it all the time, Hyatt will likely find out and the consequences could be bad.

The primary gets the 4x from Hyatt spend. And yes, you need a credit card in your name to check in, which you can do as an authorized user. You can transfer points to one another. So if you do not care much about status, that seems to solve most of your problems.

How many annual nights for each of you and how much do you spend on everything? The Hyatt card is great for getting status nights.
FT likes this.

Last edited by toomanybooks; Feb 12, 20 at 7:25 pm
Old Feb 12, 20, 9:11 pm
FT
Original Poster

Thank you. I think realistically - for practical purposes - it isn't worth my time and effort to go through all that. Was looking to simplify, and that simply wouldn't be the case. We'll probably earn on our own accounts and transfer to pool the points together with whomever ends up with the higher status.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: