New Hyatt Points and Cash

Old Feb 12, 20, 2:51 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, UA Premier Silver, Spirit Lover
New Hyatt Points and Cash

Perhaps buried in the headlines today was a major change to Points and Cash. They are now saying up to 70% off "standard rates" when you use P&C (up from 50%). Doesn't start officially until March 22, but there are reports of some bigger than 50% off discounts popping up. Anyone see any? Where and how much?

REALLY hoping P&C turns back into something useful!
Old Feb 12, 20, 2:54 pm

I hardly see it anywhere anymore
Old Feb 12, 20, 2:59 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ZBigFam View Post
I hardly see it anywhere anymore
I still see it pop up regularly but "tune it out" since I didn't think the 50% off standard rates was a very good value at all.... 70%, on the other hand, could take it back to the old days in terms of value....
Old Feb 12, 20, 6:48 pm
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, AA Gold LT
Originally Posted by txhyattlvr View Post
I still see it pop up regularly but "tune it out" since I didn't think the 50% off standard rates was a very good value at all.... 70%, on the other hand, could take it back to the old days in terms of value....
Agree, since the huge devaluation in points and cash, I haven't used it once. Even 70% at some places I used it will still not be back to the old value. But here is to hoping that it will bring some value back to points and cash.
Old Feb 12, 20, 10:06 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.021MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CWC Au-197; CCC Elite*; WoH Dis
For a moment, I didn't think there were any changes in Boston, then discovered Hyatt alphabetized Massachusetts before Maryland in the default view. I thought maybe they were alphabetizing states by postal abbreviation (so MA before MD), but then saw Mississippi (MS) before Minnesota (MN) and North Carolina (NC) before Nebraska (NE). I think Hyatt just forgot the alphabet.
Comatose.Captain likes this.
Old Feb 12, 20, 10:11 pm

What? 70% off? Iím in. Please post if you find any that are showing this new P+C rate.
Old Feb 12, 20, 10:38 pm

They're probably changing it because i like everyone else here pretty much stopped even looking at p and c after the devaluation and they realized it's useless.
Old Feb 13, 20, 12:23 pm

Programs: Hyatt diamond
Hi there.
Who are “They” claiming the discount for the cash portion will now go from 50% to 70%?

This is what it says on the World Of Hyatt Website:
Combining Points + Cash requires 50% of the points required for a free night and 50% of the chosen room rate.”

The key here is the “Chosen” Room Rate which should include:
Member Rate, Senior Rate, AAA Rate and hopefully Prepaid Rate and Special Offer such as 2night Rate 3rdnight free and so on.

It would definitely be higher than the current 50% but for it to be 70% the chosen rate would have to be 40% less than the standard rate.

Appreciate all comments
Old Feb 13, 20, 12:28 pm

Programs: Bonvoy Gold, IHG Platinum, WoH Explorist
Originally Posted by suite2suite View Post
Hi there.
Who are ďTheyĒ claiming the discount for the cash portion will now go from 50% to 70%?

This is what it says on the World Of Hyatt Website:
ďCombining Points + Cash requires 50% of the points required for a free night and 50% of the chosen room rate.Ē

The key here is the ďChosenĒ Room Rate which should include:
Member Rate, Senior Rate, AAA Rate and hopefully Prepaid Rate and Special Offer such as 2night Rate 3rdnight free and so on.

It would definitely be higher than the current 50% but for it to be 70% the chosen rate would have to be 40% less than the standard rate.

Appreciate all comments
Hyatt.com --> World of Hyatt (Link on top) --> Redeem (Link on top) --> Free Nights and Upgrades
https://world.hyatt.com/content/gp/e...-upgrades.html

They didn't update the chart yet to mention the 70%, but its present on the page.
Old Feb 13, 20, 1:31 pm
Original Poster

If you think about it.... I bet the properties are the ones demanding this and I bet we'll see lots of 70% off offers....

Here's why:
1. In my experience, it SEEMS like P&C was a low-occupancy offer (meaning they think they'll have lots of empty rooms that night).
2. If you book with points and stay at a property with low-occupancy the amount of $$ the property gets is very very low. Every so often they've made a mistake on the receipt and I've seen how much they are billing Hyatt for my room on a points stay. It's been as low as $19 bucks at a Hyatt House in San Antonio! The reimbursements they get are LOW if they would otherwise have an empty room where you are staying on points.
3. The P&C changes killed of P&C for lots of us.
4. Even at 70% off a "standard" rate the hotel probably gets more than what they would get from Hyatt if you used all points! If the rate was $100 and the hotel got $30 that's still better than the $20 I know they got when I used 5,000 points! That's assuming they get nothing from the points, and they probably DO get something for the 2,500 points.

We'll see, but I'm optimistic about this one - I think the properties want the P&C revenue stream back... it's a win/win.
ehallison likes this.
Old Feb 13, 20, 5:48 pm

70% off won't necessarily be a good deal.

If you have a cat 7 selling for $1500 with standard rooms available, your choices will be 30k pts or 15k pts + $450. You would (hopefully) choose to pay 30k pts, because you would rather have an extra $450 than an extra 15k pts -- Hyatt pts simply aren't worth 3c each. They can be obtained for less than that.

HOPEFULLY you would not argue that 15k pts + $450 is a better deal because it's a 7c redemption rather than a 5c redemption. Hopefully.
Old Feb 13, 20, 6:04 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by VegasGambler View Post
70% off won't necessarily be a good deal.

If you have a cat 7 selling for $1500 with standard rooms available, your choices will be 30k pts or 15k pts + $450. You would (hopefully) choose to pay 30k pts, because you would rather have an extra $450 than an extra 15k pts -- Hyatt pts simply aren't worth 3c each. They can be obtained for less than that.

HOPEFULLY you would not argue that 15k pts + $450 is a better deal because it's a 7c redemption rather than a 5c redemption. Hopefully.

GH Playa frequently runs $250-$300/night standard rate esp when itís not very full. Itís otherwise 20,000 points. At 70% off your looking at $75-$90 a night plus 10,000 points. Thatís not a horrible redemption...
Old Feb 13, 20, 7:15 pm

Programs: WN CP, Hyatt Glob, UA Silver
GH Playa frequently runs $250-$300/night standard rate esp when itís not very full. Itís otherwise 20,000 points. At 70% off your looking at $75-$90 a night plus 10,000 points. Thatís not a horrible redemption...
Andaz Mayakoba is another interesting case, looking at summer rates for 25,000 or $187; this made cash a no brainer, but off-peak pricing (21,000 combined with Points&Cash could motivate people to try this (10,500+$57?), this would be another level of calculation with P&C impact resort fees (non-Globalist) or free parking for Award Stays for Globalist, but options aren't a bad thing as long as you can take the time to make sense of it.
Old Feb 13, 20, 8:21 pm

GH Playa frequently runs $250-$300/night standard rate esp when it’s not very full. It’s otherwise 20,000 points. At 70% off your looking at $75-$90 a night plus 10,000 points. That’s not a horrible redemption...
Yes but I would not expect to see the 70% discount when rates are low. Remember that it's a variable 50-70%.

If they do, great! It will provide a ton of value.
Old Feb 13, 20, 8:38 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by VegasGambler View Post
Yes but I would not expect to see the 70% discount when rates are low. Remember that it's a variable 50-70%.

If they do, great! It will provide a ton of value.
Iíd refer you back to my original point. When they are NOT full, my understanding is they get very little for points stays... Iíve personally seen it be about $20 for 5,000 points. So, even 70% off the standard rate (which is not the lowest rate) could actually be more profitable for them than simply accepting points alone during lower occupancy periods.... (as was likely the case under the old points and cash system since it was optional for properties to participate.... why participate if itís not profitable?)

We will see what happens. But Iím expecting deals very similar to the old days at places like GH Playa.
Hydro88 likes this.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: