Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

World of Hyatt 2020 Category Changes

Old Feb 12, 20, 11:58 am
Original Poster

Programs: MR-Amb, Hyatt-Globalist, AA-EXP

Just saw these posted this morning. https://world.hyatt.com/content/gp/e...t-updates.html

Interested to see the Andaz 5th Avenue and Centric Park City both going up to Cat. 7. I don't think either one belongs in Cat. 7 based on typical rates, and I would have thought the new peak pricing would help solve the peak ski season rates at the Centric. PH Chicago going down is nice though. Parker NY dropped to Cat. 5, but based on the reviews and currently rates, it could have gone down all the way to Cat. 4.
CodeAdam10, Star_Guy and cvseuy like this.
Old Feb 12, 20, 12:09 pm

Programs: Delta DM, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Rewards Platinum Elite, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by spgplat21 View Post
Just saw these posted this morning. https://world.hyatt.com/content/gp/e...t-updates.html

Interested to see the Andaz 5th Avenue and Centric Park City both going up to Cat. 7. I don't think either one belongs in Cat. 7 based on typical rates, and I would have thought the new peak pricing would help solve the peak ski season rates at the Centric. PH Chicago going down is nice though. Parker NY dropped to Cat. 5, but based on the reviews and currently rates, it could have gone down all the way to Cat. 4.
Also the second year in a row we’ve seen the Andaz Papagayo increase a category. In 2018 it was a 4, in 2019 it went to a 5 and now in 2020 a 6.

The other one I was surprised at was Hyatt Regency Aruba going to a 7.
Peatisback and Star_Guy like this.
Old Feb 12, 20, 12:10 pm

Overall, changes are very reasonable to me.
MarkOK likes this.
Old Feb 12, 20, 12:23 pm

Hah! Marriott changes make the Hyatt changes look so impressive.

Hyatt continues to act reasonably. Thank you World of Hyatt Concierge

Japan is going up to the max ... China is going down. Hotel Gajoen Tokyo is becoming a Cat 8 / 40k per night. Yikes!

Australia becomes more affordable.

Unlike Marriott, Middle East is becoming cheaper ... Marriott decided to increase ME properties for whatever reason.

USA / Europe is a left/right shift more or less. Overall, USA is where I see the most increases. PH Chicago and Seattle becomes more affordable. NYC becomes more expensive. Andaz 5th Ave increase is super odd to me.

Surprised at some of the Hyatt House / Places sneaking up in categories, but that's supply/demand.
UA-NYC, cmx and Star_Guy like this.

Last edited by CodeAdam10; Feb 12, 20 at 12:37 pm
Old Feb 12, 20, 1:14 pm

Programs: UA Plat, AA Gold, LH Silver, Bonvoy LTTE, HH Dia, Hyatt Disc, PC Plat, CC Gold
Acceptable changes and not like the bloodbath we just saw at Marriott.

Good:
- HP FRA down to a Cat. 1
- Hyatt Mainz down to a Cat. 2.

Not good:
- increases in Italy, France and Greece.
- increases at SLH hotels
- Andaz 5th Ave. increase
Old Feb 12, 20, 1:30 pm
Hyatt 5+ BadgeMarriott 5+ Badge

It is still a devaluation. The total points go up, particularly in US.

Even worse with the peak and off-peak.
Old Feb 12, 20, 1:34 pm

Programs: UA Plat, AA Plat, LH SEN, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Plat
Hyatt Regency Amsterdam becoming cat 4 is nice.

Park Hyatt Chicago becoming cat 5 was well overdue. They’d be wise to keep it there until it’s renovated.

Andaz 5th ave becoming cat 7 is odd. PHNY regularly goes for double the price of 5th ave and it’s now in the same category.

A lot of increases in Japan unfortunately.
cmx likes this.

Last edited by blahmeh14; Feb 12, 20 at 1:51 pm
Old Feb 12, 20, 1:38 pm

PH Seoul continues its tumble. 7 -> 6 -> 5 in 2 years.

Out of all these changes, the only ones that really affect me are the GH Tokyo and the HR Huntington Beach. But the redemptions were too good at those places so I'm not surprised. I'm glad that the HR Maui did not move up to cat 7.

I don't really see this as a devaluation; just keeping categories in line with rates. I don't see myself changing my valuation of Hyatt pts as a result of this (that is, I will still redeem at 2c+ and pay cash when rates are below that)
Old Feb 12, 20, 1:40 pm

You can add all the old points total, and the new points total. Then you'll see the devaluation.

Is the old points total is 2 MM, now the new points total is 2.5 MM, is this a devaluation?
Old Feb 12, 20, 1:41 pm

Programs: UA Plat, AA Plat, LH SEN, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by VegasGambler View Post
PH Seoul continues its tumble. 7 -> 6 -> 5 in 2 years.
I suspect the new Andaz has something to do with that.
Old Feb 12, 20, 1:46 pm
formerly a193991
Hyatt 5+ BadgeHilton Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Lifetime Globalist
I am so glad I booked 2 rooms at the Centric Key West already.
A cat 7 is too high in my opinion though.
Old Feb 12, 20, 1:57 pm

Originally Posted by RedSun View Post
You can add all the old points total, and the new points total. Then you'll see the devaluation.

Is the old points total is 2 MM, now the new points total is 2.5 MM, is this a devaluation?
No. Value is measured in cents/pt, not in total pts cost of all hotels combined.

If a hotel goes from $500 / night average to $600 / night average and goes from Cat 6 to Cat 7 that is not a devaluation. The value of each point remains 2c.

What they have done here is move hotels between categories to maintain the same value for the points. That is not a devaluation; it's an attempt to maintain constant valuation. This is the same thing that they did last year.

Of course the economy is very good right now and hotels are more full and therefore more expensive, so more hotels moved up a category than down.
Old Feb 12, 20, 2:05 pm

117 up; 100 down, sounds reasonable to me vs Marriott’s 2-3x devaluations

looks like japan hotels went up a category across the board.

my favorite hyatt regency in Philippines is also Increasing from cat 2 to 3 which is a bummer.
Old Feb 12, 20, 2:08 pm

Originally Posted by VegasGambler View Post
No. Value is measured in cents/pt, not in total pts cost of all hotels combined.

If a hotel goes from $500 / night average to $600 / night average and goes from Cat 6 to Cat 7 that is not a devaluation. The value of each point remains 2c.

What they have done here is move hotels between categories to maintain the same value for the points. That is not a devaluation; it's an attempt to maintain constant valuation. This is the same thing that they did last year.

Of course the economy is very good right now and hotels are more full and therefore more expensive, so more hotels moved up a category than down.
This is incorrect.

If they lower one hotel from 15,000 to 12,000, but increase another from 15,000 to 20,000, then it is bad overall. Hyatt will gain 2,000 more points overall. And we spend 2,000 more points. I do not understand why this is so hard to you....
Old Feb 12, 20, 2:10 pm

Originally Posted by BaconSF View Post
117 up; 100 down, sounds reasonable to me vs Marriott’s 2-3x devaluations

looks like japan hotels went up a category across the board.

my favorite hyatt regency in Philippines is also Increasing from cat 2 to 3 which is a bummer.
Also, the magnitude of increase is higher than decrease. It is still a devaluation overall. It is much better than Marriott though....

Search this Thread
Search Engine: