Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

I've only had a 1-night stay at Hyatt. Why did I get Discoverist status?

Old Feb 9, 20, 7:26 pm
Original Poster

I decided to switch my loyalty from Marriott after almost 10 years.

My very first Hyatt stay was exactly 5 days ago.

This afternoon, I got an email from Hyatt that said "Congratulations - You're Now a Discoverist Member"

I was puzzled, so I looked it up. I definitely did not stay 10 nights or have 25000 points yet.

When I logged into my account, it did say Discoverist. I currently have just 783 points after the 1-night stay.

Did Hyatt make a mistake?
aceboy44 likes this.
Old Feb 9, 20, 7:40 pm

From another thread, didn't you just apply for the WOH card? That comes with automatic Discoverist status.
Old Feb 9, 20, 7:43 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by projectmaximus View Post
From another thread, didn't you just apply for the WOH card? That comes with automatic Discoverist status.

Oh.. I did not know about that benefit. Guess I'll have a lot to learn as a newbie to Hyatt.

The credit card is not mailed out yet, according to Chase.. but somehow Chase already told Hyatt about my new credit card?

Thanks!
Old Feb 9, 20, 8:00 pm
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Originally Posted by projectmaximus View Post
From that thread:

Originally Posted by Vangrovsky View Post
How long does it usually take Chase to send the physical Hyatt credit card?

I applied online, but Chase wanted to verify my identity. On the day that I called them, I was told that they approved me.

I have a 6-day stay at the Park Hyatt DC in 10 days. What are the chances of getting the card in the mail before that?

Thanks!
Uh, because you are now the proud owner of a WoH Credit Card.

David
Old Feb 9, 20, 8:23 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by DELee View Post
From that thread:

Uh, because you are now the proud owner of a WoH Credit Card.

David
sorry for the newbie question. I honestly did not know!
Old Feb 10, 20, 4:03 am

Programs: BA Gold, TK E+, IB+, VS FC, Hyatt Globalist, MR Plat Prem, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold
Don't get all excited about Discoverist! They could make everybody a Discoverist and it wouldn't really change anything.
Old Feb 10, 20, 8:15 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by craigthemif View Post
Don't get all excited about Discoverist! They could make everybody a Discoverist and it wouldn't really change anything.
yeah, I finally looked at the elite tiers of Hyatt.... doesn't see much, even at the top tier.

but there are a lot worse things that can result from a 1-night stay... for example, 18 years of paying for child support.
Old Feb 10, 20, 8:17 am

Programs: BA Gold, TK E+, IB+, VS FC, Hyatt Globalist, MR Plat Prem, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold
yeah, I finally looked at the elite tiers of Hyatt.... doesn't see much, even at the top tier.

but there are a lot worse things that can result from a 1-night stay... for example, 18 years of paying for child support.
Top tier Globalist is the most valuable elite status in the business. Except many of the benefits have shifted over to the Milestones that you earn at 20,30,40, etc. nights so you might have missed those.
Old Feb 10, 20, 9:58 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist

Yeah, I'm going to agree with what you're going to find on this sub. Globalist is extremely valuable. I won't get into all of it, but at a high level:
- Resort fees waived on paid bookings (over and above generally waived on points). Saves a lot of money, especially on the BS "resort" fees in big cities.
- Free parking on award stays
- Free breakfast on all stays (lounge if available, otherwise restaurant). And it includes up to 2 adults and 2 kids (which is also way better than any other chain).
- Tier Suite Upgrades (WAY more valuable than Marriott's. Each one is good for up to 7 nights, confirmable at booking, and can be applied to any payment method)
- Room upgrades are good, and happen frequently but not something that you can count on or guarantee.
- Guaranteed late checkout. And beyond that I've always been accommodated even in situations where it isn't guaranteed (check-in too!)

So I'll agree that the lower tier statuses aren't great. Better than nothing. But Globalist is easily worth going out of your way, putting spend on the card or whatever if you can get close.
Old Feb 10, 20, 1:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: WN CP, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by jameswes View Post
Yeah, I'm going to agree with what you're going to find on this sub. Globalist is extremely valuable. I won't get into all of it, but at a high level:
- Resort fees waived on paid bookings (over and above generally waived on points). Saves a lot of money, especially on the BS "resort" fees in big cities.
- Free parking on award stays
- Free breakfast on all stays (lounge if available, otherwise restaurant). And it includes up to 2 adults and 2 kids (which is also way better than any other chain).
- Tier Suite Upgrades (WAY more valuable than Marriott's. Each one is good for up to 7 nights, confirmable at booking, and can be applied to any payment method)
- Room upgrades are good, and happen frequently but not something that you can count on or guarantee.
- Guaranteed late checkout. And beyond that I've always been accommodated even in situations where it isn't guaranteed (check-in too!)

So I'll agree that the lower tier statuses aren't great. Better than nothing. But Globalist is easily worth going out of your way, putting spend on the card or whatever if you can get close.
Plus the ability to "loan" your status to others on points stays. Extremely useful sometimes and a valuable thing to give to people important to you like a boss, business associate, or for a honeymoon wedding gift, etc.

And I find they are more willing to bend rules for Globalists.

Not to mention, they gave a bunch of us AA EXP status recently.
Old Feb 10, 20, 1:45 pm

Programs: LH SEN, SQ G, WoH Glob, SHL D
Originally Posted by toomanybooks View Post
And I find they are more willing to bend rules for Globalists.
I think this is the biggest thing that Hyatt does right. Globalists get a "special treatment" more predictably than other chain's elites. It costs Hyatt and the individual properties very little (just look at the inconsequential things that some folks are enthralled with / complain about in these forums), but it truly bolsters brand loyalty. People are far more likely to stay with a chain if they feel like VIPs there.
Old Feb 11, 20, 2:11 am

Programs: UA MM/1P, EK Ag, QR, TK, Marriott Life Ti, Hilton Dia, IC Spire, Hyatt Glob, Shangri-La
I have a 6-day stay at the Park Hyatt DC in 10 days. What are the chances of getting the card in the mail before that?
Maybe get them to mail the card to the hotel and you can switch to it on check-out. That will buy you six more days.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: