Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Hyatt Centric Old Town Alexandria - REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Hyatt Centric Old Town Alexandria - REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Old Jun 11, 2022, 6:16 pm

There's a new Indian-Chinese restaurant opening in the Hyatt Centric called Indochen. Will be curious to see how they handle Globalist breakfasts.
Old Sep 21, 2022, 7:58 pm

Some good news- Globalists now get breakfast for two at the hotel restaurant.
Biggie Fries likes this.
Old Oct 29, 2022, 2:01 pm

Originally Posted by Biggie Fries
Wow, this is a discouraging thread.

Any experiences with parking on nights paid with points, Globalist?
I haven't tested the free parking myself, but according to the front desk, valet parking is free for Globs staying on awards.
Biggie Fries likes this.
Old Nov 14, 2022, 9:34 am

I think there's been a change of management (for the better!) Old management was reluctant to honor Globalist benefits. New management proactively recognizes Globalists. I was unexpectedly upgraded to a junior suite which was much appreciated, knowing they only have 2 suites at this property. The new on-site restaurant, IndoChen, serves a great breakfast. Globalist breakfast is one entree and one drink. I found the portion sizes generous. Also scrambled eggs and omelettes are made with real eggs. Fitness center is open on the 2nd floor (somehow never noticed it previously). Proximity to King Street Metro and Chewish Deli (across the street) make this an ideal choice. Staff were friendly. 2 x 20 fl oz bottles of Smart Water offered in each room for Discoverists, Explorists, Globalists

Globalist benefits here: upgraded room (usually to a high view floor if no suite availability), breakfast for 2 at IndoChen, free valet parking (no self-park garage) on award stays, late checkout offered until 2pm for a suite (possibly later for regular room), 2 bottles of Smart water offered free in-room

CONS: rooms could be larger, cramped if you have more than 2 in a room, mattresses are a little soft although that might just be the particular style

PROS: new management very friendly to Globalists, great deal for Category 3, excellent water pressure and shower temperature even on 5th and 6th floors, efficient use of space despite smaller rooms (some thoughtful design implementations)

Big improvements! Will definitely stay here again

diburning likes this.

Last edited by iluvdoco; Nov 14, 2022 at 9:40 am
Old Nov 14, 2022, 2:43 pm

It’s nice to know that management has woken up at this hotel. I love visiting Old Town Alexandria for staycations and I spent a couple nights here a while ago. The receptionist couldn’t be bothered at the time to look up from her phone and audibly sighed any time I asked a question. Hotel was deserted at the time. No Globalist recognition, no thanks for staying with us, just “here’s your key now please leave.”

that said…would rather stay elsewhere. One bad experience is enough for me and I wasn’t crazy for the property anyway.
Old Oct 20, 2023, 3:50 am

Programs: UA 1K M, AA 2 MM PREM, AVIS First, HYATT Globalist, Marriott Lifetime Platinum., Hilton Gold.
Hoping to stay here for a week in November 2023, any updates. How is the Globalist breakfast? Is there an evening reception or a lounge? How far of a walk from the Metro?
Thanks in advance for posting responses.
Old Oct 20, 2023, 7:36 am

Originally Posted by ACC2008
Hoping to stay here for a week in November 2023, any updates. How is the Globalist breakfast? Is there an evening reception or a lounge? How far of a walk from the Metro?
The metro is only a few blocks away, maybe 5 minutes walk. Though it is a bit far removed from the rest of Old Town (10-15 minutes walk). Last I remember the Globalist breakfast was…not great. And this hotel had a history of playing games with that benefit. Rooms are tiny - very tiny and uncomfortably so. If you’re traveling solo it’s probably fine but 2 people would be squeezed even in their “larger” rooms. If the point of your visit is to visit DC proper, then just stay in DC proper - any of the properties there will be better. If you’re looking for the Hyatt Centric brand, the Centric in Rosslyn/Arlington is light years better and comes with a fantastic breakfast, good globalist recognition, and some rooms have a great view. Also one block from Rosslyn metro.
ACC2008 and ProjectSunburst like this.
Old Oct 20, 2023, 7:49 am

Programs: Bonvoy Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, Hertz Gold
Originally Posted by ACC2008
It’s a Hyatt Centric, so there is no lounge. Very close to the metro, and there is the free trolley/ bus that runs up and down King st. If you are looking for a Lounge: Grand Hyatt DC, Hyatt Regency DC, Hyatt Regency Tyson Corner, and Hyatt Regency Reston.
ACC2008 likes this.
Old Oct 20, 2023, 9:25 am

Programs: AA EXP; DL Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist (marriage perk)
We had good stay here. Breakfast was ok. Upgraded to one of their better (best?) rooms on top floor. Even the larger rooms are very small. Still an alternative was Hyatt Regency Regan and that's just such an overrun dump. It's also nice to walk to the old town and something to do after work (vs. the Regency). Wife decided to move all her stays here from Regency and commute (which is very convenient) to Pentagon City.
ACC2008 likes this.
Old Dec 8, 2023, 7:27 am

Programs: AA EXP - 3.7MM, Bonv LIFETIME Titan, HH Dmd, Hyatt Glob., Priority Clb Dmd, Ntnl Exec El., Sixt PLT
Stay in Dec 2023

I stayed for 1 night because of a meeting nearby. Similar to others, was "upgraded" to a King room on top floor. The room and bathroom are rather small - on par with better Four Points by Sheraton but with better bedding and furniture. Received 4 pm checkout. Breakfast in the

Breakfast Globalist menu.
restaurant is noting to rave about - see the Globalist menu.
Old Dec 8, 2023, 3:03 pm

Originally Posted by Alex_I
I stayed for 1 night because of a meeting nearby. Similar to others, was "upgraded" to a King room on top floor. The room and bathroom are rather small - on par with better Four Points by Sheraton but with better bedding and furniture. Received 4 pm checkout. Breakfast in the

Breakfast Globalist menu.
restaurant is noting to rave about - see the Globalist menu.
My omelette was very generously portioned and made with real eggs! Shower water pressure here is phenomenal. Rooms are small and little chance of a suite upgrade unless using a TSU or outright booking.
Old Jan 10, 2024, 6:33 pm

Programs: UA- Pl (2MM), AA-Go, Delta-Silver, Hyatt-Globalist!, MR/SPG comb - Plat, Hilton - nada
I need to try this one out...the Centric Arlington is much closer to my work location but the breakfast there is really bad. Basically same as a Hyatt Place...buffet, nothing fresh made.
never get suite upgrade there either (very limited suites)

Also, just to add i recently stayed at Centric Nashville which has a really excellent breakfast offering. Not sure why Arlington is so bad...
Old Jun 23, 2024, 11:21 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist
Just completed a three-night stay, and would not recommend if you are hoping to rely on some of the globalist benefits. I requested a 4pm checkout at checkin and was denied. I mentioned the 4pm checkout is guaranteed, but the staff did not budge—They were "kind of full." I asked again the next morning, and a manager-looking staff granted the late checkout. I have never had trouble with the late C/O at Hyatt before.

Rooms are as everyone said small, but not uncomfortably so. Shower pressure is indeed very good, and location is easy for the metro. Hotel breakfast is meh, one of the worse breakfasts even for a domestic Hyatt. But the restaurant has excellent Indian-Chinese lunch for takeout—This suggests to me that the restaurant is in fact quite good but the hotel is stingy on reimbursement for globalist breakfasts. I overheard a comical conversation between presumably another globalist who was not given an upgrade and the front desk. It basically went like this:

Guest: Do you not upgrade globalists?
Front desk: We do. We upgrade all elites including explorists and globalists based on availability for a fee.
Guest: Hmmm. That's not an upgrade, that's selling the room.
Front: No we upgrade all elites including explorists and globalists based on availability for a fee.

LOL.
Old Jun 23, 2024, 11:44 am

Originally Posted by philoskeptus
Just completed a three-night stay, and would not recommend if you are hoping to rely on some of the globalist benefits. I requested a 4pm checkout at checkin and was denied. I mentioned the 4pm checkout is guaranteed, but the staff did not budge—They were "kind of full." I asked again the next morning, and a manager-looking staff granted the late checkout. I have never had trouble with the late C/O at Hyatt before.

Rooms are as everyone said small, but not uncomfortably so. Shower pressure is indeed very good, and location is easy for the metro. Hotel breakfast is meh, one of the worse breakfasts even for a domestic Hyatt. But the restaurant has excellent Indian-Chinese lunch for takeout—This suggests to me that the restaurant is in fact quite good but the hotel is stingy on reimbursement for globalist breakfasts. I overheard a comical conversation between presumably another globalist who was not given an upgrade and the front desk. It basically went like this:

Guest: Do you not upgrade globalists?
Front desk: We do. We upgrade all elites including explorists and globalists based on availability for a fee.
Guest: Hmmm. That's not an upgrade, that's selling the room.
Front: No we upgrade all elites including explorists and globalists based on availability for a fee.

LOL.
I give it 3 years max till hyatt comes like marriott the way its going

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.