Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

“Tax, gratuity and service charges” Globalist Benefit

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

“Tax, gratuity and service charges” Globalist Benefit

Search this Thread

Old Jan 15, 2020, 3:13 pm

Programs: Hyatt LIFETIME Globalist
Matt - you do have to own up to the fact that you have started lots of new threads since spending your way to glob

boy, you took the words out of my mouth!
59Impala likes this.

Last edited by Maui4me1; Jan 15, 2020 at 3:19 pm
Old Jan 15, 2020, 4:38 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by ZBigFam
Matt - you do have to own up to the fact that you have started lots of new threads since spending your way to glob...

All that aside here's my take:
In some hotels depending on the country there is a charge that is to offset living wage standards, sometimes they call these service charges but more frequently something else...for the life of me I can't remember

In those cases then the gratuity is separate as the living wage surcharge is just the restaurant passing legal wage requirement costs onto the consumer.

In that case if you provided a tip above that I would say would be entitled to the service charge AND gratuity being reimbursed.
Originally Posted by Maui4me1
Matt - you do have to own up to the fact that you have started lots of new threads since spending your way to glob

boy, you took the words out of my mouth!
Considering I’ve never really been a part of forums I don’t have a set pace to judge by. I search my topics and if nothing pops up closely related to what I have a query about I start a new thread. If mods/admins want to make a hard limit monthly/yearly I’m not opposed.

I believe a service charge is part of their wage (or to subsidize it) rather than an actual tip paid to the server. Whereas a tip is gratuity for good service. The property was in the US.
Old Jan 15, 2020, 6:48 pm

Programs: QF WP, AA EXP
"Globalist Included" is all you need to write on the tip line, if there is one. Let them work it out, most servers I have talked to say they get a standard 15-20% for globalists automatically. This way it takes away the issue of dealing with the front desk at checkout, or a manager who doesn't know policy. Never had an issue since I stared doing this years ago.
hedoman, wxguy and 59Impala like this.
Old Jan 15, 2020, 7:29 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by SNA_Flyer
"Globalist Included" is all you need to write on the tip line, if there is one. Let them work it out, most servers I have talked to say they get a standard 15-20% for globalists automatically. This way it takes away the issue of dealing with the front desk at checkout, or a manager who doesn't know policy. Never had an issue since I stared doing this years ago.
Honestly, I didn’t even notice the “Service Charge” until it was pointed out to me at check out. Other properties I’ve been to just say charge the breakfast meal + tip to your room and it’ll be waived off at checkout. This property gave vouchers and apparently everyone regardless of if they’re using said vouchers or not gets charged the “service charge”. Again not explained until checkout. So when eating at the restaurant I thought it was just the meal + taxes so I left 20% gratuity thinking it’d be waived off based on pst experiences and the T&C. The front end manager even said they have many Globalists come to the desk to complain about the discrepancy that they tip thinking it’ll be waived but it won’t because of the “service charge”, which everyone, not just Globs get charged.
Old Jan 15, 2020, 7:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

This is exactly the sort of thing that your concierge can take care of.

Call, give the dates of the stay, say that you were charged for gratuity at breakfast when it's supposed to be included. They will see that your gratuity is reasonable (not some crazy amount) and it will get taken care of.
Old Jan 16, 2020, 7:44 am

I had the same issues last year as well. In my case, the hotel breakfast didn’t have a service charge line item, only my discretionary gratuity. Sure maybe the tip is just $5 but that’s $5 that per the terms, seems like it should be covered. It was charged to the room and I was billed for it. Talked over Twitter and got it refunded, but this is definitely a smart benefit that has issues in application.
Old Jan 16, 2020, 8:15 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
My understanding is that some hotels automatically give their servers the standard 15-20% (perhaps using the same rate they change for banquet meals) and interpret any tip you add to the bill as a purely discretionary amount on top of the 15-20% or whatever. Hence you pay it, the same as if you had given cash.
59Impala likes this.
Old Jan 16, 2020, 9:39 am

Programs: LH, WoH, Bonvoy, ALL, SH-L
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
My understanding is that some hotels automatically give their servers the standard 15-20% (perhaps using the same rate they change for banquet meals) and interpret any tip you add to the bill as a purely discretionary amount on top of the 15-20% or whatever. Hence you pay it, the same as if you had given cash.
Indeed, because the Globalist breakfast already "includes" gratuity!
Old Jan 16, 2020, 11:23 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by 0073735963
I had the same issues last year as well. In my case, the hotel breakfast didn’t have a service charge line item, only my discretionary gratuity. Sure maybe the tip is just $5 but that’s $5 that per the terms, seems like it should be covered. It was charged to the room and I was billed for it. Talked over Twitter and got it refunded, but this is definitely a smart benefit that has issues in application.
Tbh I didn’t even notice the “service charge” on the actual receipt. I’m not sure if it was on there or if it was added later either. Because for breakfast on the first day we both got the $27 buffet which after tax was $60 (and change), I recall leaving a $10 tip which is 20% and the total being not over $70 (and change). Had there been a “service charge” on that first day’s bill the total would’ve been roughly $78 which I would’ve found absurd. I honestly don’t recall that at all, is it possible it wasn’t charged the first day which led to the other days not even checking/looking for a service charge? Hmm.

Typically when restaurants have one they have signs posted or someone will let you know. It’s charged to everyone, not just Globs so I’d think it’d be beneficial for signage to be up that way people aren’t wondering why they have a “service charge”.
SHLTP likes this.
Old Jan 16, 2020, 12:42 pm

What property is this?
Old Jan 16, 2020, 12:53 pm
Original Poster

What property is this?
HC - Magnificent Mile
Old Jan 16, 2020, 6:20 pm

Programs: Hilton LTD, Hyatt Glob, Marriott LTTE, AA LTP, Avis PC, National EE, Seabourn DE
Originally Posted by SNA_Flyer
It's that simple. But go ahead and keep piling on extra gratuities and risk having it come out of your own pocket.
ZBigFam likes this.
Old Jan 16, 2020, 8:14 pm

Programs: Marriott AmBE ; AA EXP; Amtrak Select Executive; Hertz PC
can we just kill this thread already? if you say the Hyatt Concierge has confirmed it with the pictures you attached then they should have reimbursed you. Case closed. You win. GG
ZBigFam and 59Impala like this.
Old Jan 16, 2020, 8:55 pm

Programs: UA Plat MM, AA Gold MM, Marriott LTT, Hyatt Globalist
What property is this?
This is relevant to the discussions here.

HR Denver Tech Center charged me for breakfast gratuities and front desk insisted that Globalist breakfast benefit did not include gratuities.
FD agent even argued that his manager told another Globalist earlier in the week that breakfast gratuities are not included. Breakfast bill did not have service charge, so tips cannot be mistaken for gratuities on top of service charge that's being debated here. The debate went back and forth for a good while. FD agent finally took off the gratuities when I told him I would not file a complaint with Hyatt Corporate, otherwise I would.

I have only seen 18% Globalist gratuities included on breakfast bills at a number of US properties, only Asian hotels have 15% service charge on breakfast bills.

Last edited by CIT85; Jan 16, 2020 at 8:59 pm Reason: OP answered the question before I finished due to slow server.
Old Jan 16, 2020, 9:07 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by CIT85
This is relevant to the discussions here.

HR Denver Tech Center charged me for breakfast gratuities and front desk insisted that Globalist breakfast benefit did not include gratuities.
FD agent even argued that his manager told another Globalist earlier in the week that breakfast gratuities are not included. Breakfast bill did not have service charge, so tips cannot be mistaken for gratuities on top of service charge that's being debated here. The debate went back and forth for a good while. FD agent finally took off the gratuities when I told him I would not file a complaint with Hyatt Corporate, otherwise I would.

I have only seen 18% Globalist gratuities included on breakfast bills at a number of US properties, only Asian hotels have 15% service charge on breakfast bills.
That’s really interested. And as I said on the first day’s receipt I looked and didn’t see a service charge listed which is why I didn’t check the following days. So I’m not sure if they just didn’t charge it the first day and did the following days or what happened.

The Property was Hyatt Centric Magnificent Mile in Chicago.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.