Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

“Tax, gratuity and service charges” Globalist Benefit

“Tax, gratuity and service charges” Globalist Benefit

Old Jan 14, 2020, 6:42 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Kacee
If I leave an additional tip on top of any included gratuity, I don't expect the hotel to cover it.
The issue is that it’s marked as a “Service charge”, not gratuity. There is a separate box for gratuity and none of this is explained.

The only thing to rely on at the point where none of the hotel staff have explained the policy regarding tipping is the T&C, which due to the word “and” rather than the word “or” between “gratuity and service charges” means there is a difference between the two, they are not the same thing. Using the word or in that sentence would mean they are interchangeable, using the word and means they are not, that they are in fact different things.

I agree that if the receipt stated X amount Gratuity already paid/charged then anything left above that is on the guest. But charging a service charge with a box labeled “tip” below it, not even “additional tip” (which would leave little to be interpreted), leaves much gray area.
Old Jan 14, 2020, 7:59 pm

Originally Posted by Matt4200
The issue is that it’s marked as a “Service charge”, not gratuity. There is a separate box for gratuity and none of this is explained.
Is this an international property?

Regardless, I generally count service charge and gratuity as the same thing if I'm sitting down and not ordering room service. I may or may not add additional gratuity on top.
Otherwise a "service charge" is an arbitrary fee.

When it's charged as a fixed fee (not percentage) to deliver to the room, then I count it separately from gratuity and don't expect the hotel to pay what I put on the gratuity line.
Dyc4321 likes this.
Old Jan 14, 2020, 10:44 pm
formerly a193991
Hyatt 5+ BadgeHilton Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt LT Globalist; LX SEN (*A Gold), AA LTG
OP loves starting new threads

World of Hyatt - Globalist Breakfast Changes
Kacee, ZBigFam and Hydro88 like this.
Old Jan 14, 2020, 11:15 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by 59Impala
OP loves starting new threads

World of Hyatt - Globalist Breakfast Changes
I literally just read that whole 8 page thread to search for solid answers and there’s nothing. There’s 3 brief comments related to gratuity and the hotel automatically charging it along with how the hotel is wrong to do so.

So no, this current thread has literally nothing in common with the entirety of the thread you posted. They are completely separate topics.

Again T&C read “Gratuity and Service Charges” implying they are different. If, on the check it said “additional tip” of course anything above that would be on the guest. “Service Charge” seems more like a convenience thing rather than an actual tip to your server which is why I’m guessing they are separate in the T&C.

The front office manager literally said “Gratuity is never covered”. Which to me implies they, the servers, don’t get that “service charge”. She was completely baffled when I showed her the T&C from Hyatt she kept scrolling down reading aloud even after where it said gratuity was an included benefit.
Old Jan 15, 2020, 12:06 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
That's your issue. I don't think any of the rest of us share it
CodeAdam10, ZBigFam and 59Impala like this.
Old Jan 15, 2020, 12:23 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Kacee
That's your issue.
Yes, it is and snarky remarks aren’t needed.
strickerj likes this.
Old Jan 15, 2020, 12:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I have always left a ~20% tip (when there wasn't an itemized service charge) and it's always been covered.

I have absolutely no idea if the hotel just pays the amount that I write down, or ignores it and pays them some standard amount. That's between them and their employer. But I'm never charged for it.

On the other hand if service charge is included, that might be different. I never leave extra in that case.

I'd just call your concierge about it, and leave out the part about not noticing the included service charge.
Old Jan 15, 2020, 2:23 am

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hyatt Globalist
I tried to tip $20, 000 USD once so that I would re qualify for Globalist. And for some reason Hyatt wouldn't pay me back.

Is this seriously a thread? Obviously Hyatt is not going to reimburse an arbitrary tip... Are we in an Amsterdam cafe with the windows shut?
Old Jan 15, 2020, 10:58 am
Original Poster

Old Jan 15, 2020, 11:52 am

Programs: AA Pro (mostly B6) OZ♦ (flying BR/UA), BA Silver Hyatt LT, Wynn Black, Cosmo Plat, Mlife Noir
Yes, it is and snarky remarks aren’t needed.
On the contrary, it seemed like a rather polite way to suggest that your perspective isn't at all grounded in any sort of reality.
wrldwide1 likes this.
Old Jan 15, 2020, 12:18 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by gengar
On the contrary, it seemed like a rather polite way to suggest that your perspective isn't at all grounded in any sort of reality.
I feel it is, and Hyatt Concierge confirmed.
Old Jan 15, 2020, 12:35 pm
Original Poster

Asked for further elaboration on the original question and again they assured that both service charges and gratuity are both covered, not just one or the other.
Old Jan 15, 2020, 1:42 pm

Programs: Marriott LT Plat, Hyatt Globalist, AA Plat
So Matt, I don't think those tweets are saying anything different than the rest of us - just semantics. The "service charge" on your bill was, in fact, the gratuity. And it was stated as 15% which makes perfect sense. What you added was additional to that. (And good news for the server!)

I interpret the T&C to mean that a service charge and/or gratuity will be provided by WoH. For example, if room service breakfast is permitted, then there would be both a service charge and a gratuity. Otherwise, in normal circumstances, just a gratuity.

But for a breakfast in the restaurant, if it is listed as "service charge" then it's the same as gratuity.
Old Jan 15, 2020, 1:50 pm

Silliness all around here. I generally find most places don't include any automatic type of tip, and I usually add a standard tip type amount like 15 to 20 percent. It is almost always covered automatically and I expect it to be by the terms and conditions.

Nowhere does it say anything about only covering tips provided by default by the hotel. Nor does anyone seriously think it covers 20k tips. <snip>

Certainly also no one would realistically think that if there is no tip added automatically and you add 0, that the hotel goes through and says, make sure we give all the servers an extra 15 percent on globalist breakfast checks. Nonsense. The only reasonable argument in my mind is that standard reasonable tip amounts will be covered as part of the bill.

In this particular case, I think that since the hotel already provided a 15 percent tip by default, that is the only thing that is covered and any extra the customer provides would be on them barring the hotel going above and beyond. I would say the hotel should be more clear in spelling out that it is an automatic tip instead of some weird "service charge".
strickerj likes this.

Last edited by Markie; Jan 17, 2020 at 6:12 am Reason: comments about other poster removed
Old Jan 15, 2020, 1:57 pm

Matt - you do have to own up to the fact that you have started lots of new threads since spending your way to glob...

All that aside here's my take:
In some hotels depending on the country there is a charge that is to offset living wage standards, sometimes they call these service charges but more frequently something else...for the life of me I can't remember

In those cases then the gratuity is separate as the living wage surcharge is just the restaurant passing legal wage requirement costs onto the consumer.

In that case if you provided a tip above that I would say would be entitled to the service charge AND gratuity being reimbursed.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.