Slight extension of TSU?

Old Jan 13, 20, 10:50 pm
Original Poster

Slight extension of TSU?

Had anyone ever had any luck with slight extensions of TSUs? I have a stay with a checkout of Mar 1 (so technically it's 1 day too late). I'm going to call my concierge tomorrow and see if it's possible... am I going to be disappointed?

I only managed to use 2 of mine last year... so even if I can apply this, one will expire unused. It's only a 2 night stay so I don't care that much but I may as well lock in the suite if I can...
Old Jan 14, 20, 1:45 am

Programs: LH SEN, SQ G, WoH Glob, SHL D
I've done it before. Talked directly to the hotel, it wasn't a problem.
VegasGambler likes this.
Old Jan 14, 20, 1:47 am
Original Poster

How far were you able to go? Is it just a matter of making the booking before the TSU expires (even if the stay is after expiration?) Or does the stay need to overlap the expiration date?
Old Jan 14, 20, 4:33 am

Originally Posted by VegasGambler View Post
How far were you able to go? Is it just a matter of making the booking before the TSU expires (even if the stay is after expiration?) Or does the stay need to overlap the expiration date?
In my case, the 9-night stay began two days before the TSU expired (check-in Feb 27, check-out March 8). I was able to apply the TSU to the entire stay. I did this directly with the front office person who sent me a welcome email 10 days before my stay.
Old Jan 14, 20, 5:38 am
Original Poster

Oh, interesting strategy. That's more than 7 nights, too.
Old Jan 14, 20, 7:07 am

Yep, I've applied several TSUs to stays of more than 7 nights. I think technically, it is just applied to 7 nights and the hotel grants you the same suite for the remainder of the stay out of courtesy.

It was actually not a strategy. I had forgotten about the TSU and remembered it when the front office manager asked about special requests. I'm sure the hotline/concierge can do that for you, too, if the hotel play along.
Old Jan 14, 20, 8:16 am

Programs: BA Gold, TK E+, IB+, VS FC, Hyatt Globalist, MR Plat Prem, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold
Definitely a standard trick... book the TSU for what you can... and then "dare" the hotel to insist that you move rooms. Rarely happens IME...
Old Jan 14, 20, 10:49 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Yeah, I'd make separate bookings if possible and apply the TSU to the nights before it expires. The hotel would be within its rights to require that the guest change rooms (with a 4 pm checkout time for the suite), but most would consider doing so to just be an expensive nuisance that makes a guest less happy.
Old Jan 14, 20, 12:41 pm

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist View Post
Yeah, I'd make separate bookings if possible and apply the TSU to the nights before it expires. The hotel would be within its rights to require that the guest change rooms (with a 4 pm checkout time for the suite), but most would consider doing so to just be an expensive nuisance that makes a guest less happy.
Well you’re also not considering that Globalist Suite Upgrades (assuming OP is Glob based on having TSU’s) are based on availability “at Check In”. If OP is checking in a week ahead of everyone else then they’d most likely be guaranteed a Suite if it would be available on those dates.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: