Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

BEI Zhaolong Beijing Joie de Vivre (Master Thread)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 12, 2020, 2:56 am
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hyatt Globalist

I couldn't find a thread on this new property, so I thought I'd start one here (moderators, please move if thread elsewhere)

1) Location: the location of this hotel is great. It takes about an hour from Beijing Capital Airport by taxi (under 80 RMB).

It is about a 10 minute walk to Sanlitun Bar Street and the giant shopping and dining complex Tai Koo Li. It is perfect for being a tourist or for going to meetings. I'm probably going to walk to meetings tomorrow in a major CBD area.

2) I was upgraded in advance to a Joie de Vivre Suite. It is nice. There is a separate couch area and circulare dining table (with 6 cushioned, wooden chairs around).

I'd call the decoration lively and fun. It is not a luxury style (like Park) that I tend to prefer at my age but it is nice and not cheap feeling or overly trendy like an Aloft or W. Would be the perfect design for a 28-35 fairly wealthy young couple on the way up.

It's classy enough for me but I don't have to have PH style everywhere. If you need true luxury, this is not hotel for you. There is a coffee maker in the room.

3) Service: folks very friendly and helpful. GM sent a bottle of wine and nice snacks up to the room. They also had 10 free bottles of water waiting in my room as I like. The Grab and Go has good free coffee on the first floor and free cookies and snacks. Not extensive. Almost like a bad CL's afternoon snack offerings.

4) Elevators: I don't like the set up at all. All the suites are on the 22nd and 23rd floors. The only way to get there is by taking the middle of 3 elevators. However, if the elevator on the left or right arrive first, you have take it to the 21st floor and change elevators

This is a real pain and stupid. It's maddening actually and the only real drawback to the hotel.

5) Gym: they outsource to an outside gym in the hotel. Very well-stocked. Serious workouts can be done here. However, three gym people all told me hotel guests could only work out on weekends. I had to go back to the hotel reception and get them to come over to tell the gym people I was allowed in at all times. ...? I know it is a new hotel but this type of miscommunication should not be happening.

6) Globalists get free breakfast. I haven't had it yet but will try tomorrow

Overall, I like this property. It's quite different from the GH or HR in Beijing (I like the HR's hardware a lot except for the location which is awful... the GH is good but getting old).

I will try the PH soon. But overall, I'll probably stay here in the future because of the location and different hardware feel. It is fun. It is something different than the typical hotel room..

Only thing missing is a Club Lounge which I do enjoy in Asia
Old Jan 12, 2020, 4:16 am

Programs: LH, WoH, Bonvoy, ALL, SH-L
Thanks! Good to hear about the well-stocked gym, I take it no swimming pool is available, though? The location is great indeed. It should be noted that the building looks rather abysmal from the outside, for those who care about that kind of stuff.
Old Jan 12, 2020, 4:50 am
Original Poster

No swimming pool but the gym is good - and I take working out seriously. I really like this place. Service is good. Location awesome. Just no club lounge or pool but for short stays that's fine with me. I recommend at the 800-1000 RMB price. If it gets to 1200-1500 then you start running into St. Regis rates at times and have to think twice. But the location...
Hydro88 likes this.

Last edited by SHLTP; Jan 12, 2020 at 6:24 am
Old Jan 12, 2020, 4:43 pm
Original Poster

Breakfast is high quality food products but selection too small for me. This is only downside
Hydro88 likes this.
Old Nov 13, 2020, 9:00 am

Staying here on a BRG rate for a mattress run. Breakfast no longer has eggs, bacon, hash browns, youtiao and congee available buffet-style, you have to order them off the menu now. I assume this helps with cost-cutting.

They have added pork wonton soup to the menu, which is a welcome change.

Old Nov 12, 2023, 8:57 pm

Programs: SPG Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, AA Plat Pro, Delta Plat
I stayed back in September for 3 nights. Was upgraded to a room with a view on the top floor and was supposed to be a larger sitting area. I didn't notice it being larger but that's fine. The breakfast and happy hours were fine. The bathroom, the bed were fine. It doesn't strike me as a JdV hotel as I know this brand should be slightly more luxury. This hotel felt very much like an old converted hotel that they were trying to position as a premium hotel. The best thing about this hotel was the location. Otherwise everything about it felt like a old local Beijing hotel and not in a good way. I did like the coffee station near the front desk. They were doing construction in the lobby the entire stay. It was dusty and dirty.

The WORST part of my stay is that on the first night, the front desk AND the housekeeping staff both called and knocked on my door at 2 a.m. in a very violent and urgent manner. It felt like things were shaking and got me to jump awake and I was afraid something bad was happening. Like a break in or the police coming or some crazy event. My heart was racing!

Turns out though that the houskeeping had no idea why she was told to wake me up and that I needed to contact the front desk urgently. Upon contacting, I was told they needed to verify my corporate rate. ...!! They can easily do that tomorrow or have asked when I checked in.

I could not sleep well for the rest of the night. Anyway, at first they were not apologetic. After having to spend an hour or two communicating how disturbing that was they finally offered an 8,000 point credit. It was laughable but at that point I didn't want to speak to anyone at the hotel again.

I complained to Hyatt corporate and they didn't do anything at all. So much for being Globalist.
Old Nov 18, 2023, 3:54 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by jjxl
I stayed back in September for 3 nights. Was upgraded to a room with a view on the top floor and was supposed to be a larger sitting area. I didn't notice it being larger but that's fine. The breakfast and happy hours were fine. The bathroom, the bed were fine. It doesn't strike me as a JdV hotel as I know this brand should be slightly more luxury. This hotel felt very much like an old converted hotel that they were trying to position as a premium hotel. The best thing about this hotel was the location. Otherwise everything about it felt like a old local Beijing hotel and not in a good way. I did like the coffee station near the front desk. They were doing construction in the lobby the entire stay. It was dusty and dirty.
There's a reason it felt that way. But, in fairness to conversions, the Rosewood people did a pretty good job of transforming the Jingguang from a frog into something better than a frog.
Old Apr 17, 2024, 5:00 pm
Original Poster

Here again after a several yr absence and still think this place is a great deal - only paid 750 rmb which is so cheap for such a good location. Upgraded to a suite again where they had my preferences - extra water and air purifier.

Staff super friendly. They've changed the gym - it's now part of the hotel and still well stocked and excellent for a serious workout.

Overall, this is a great place to stay. Not luxury but quite good.
Old Apr 17, 2024, 5:27 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Is Tandoor still there?
Old Apr 17, 2024, 6:08 pm

Programs: BA Silver, Hyatt Globalist
I stayed here last year. They have a great gym next door. Overall the hotel is very simple and not luxurious. Location is quite good, although not super walking friendly. I'd stay again - maybe.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.