Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Thompson Washington D.C. REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Thompson Washington D.C. REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Search this Thread

Old Dec 3, 2021, 7:01 pm

Programs: AS MVP , Delta Gold Medallion, "Credit Card" status for various hotels
I’m just finishing up a four night stay here. Rates were incredibly low ($121/night). Was pre-upgraded to a junior suite as a globalist and love the room. It’s not large, but it’s a corner with lots of windows, great views of the neighborhood and river, and a beautiful design. The lighting is soft, which I appreciate. The suite also comes with a nespresso machine.

A few things I’ve noticed:
  • extremely small desk; very glad I didn’t have to work from the room
  • shower doesn’t completely close but didn’t leak out… much
  • The windows open, and the central air senses this and will stop working until closed
  • room does not have a proper closet; there’s a large wardrobe instead
  • globalist breakfast still uses Butler, which is frustrating at best. It’s annoying that I can’t so much as make a substitution without incurring a fee.
  • pastries of decent quality and coffee are provided (free) in the lobby each morning
  • destination fee is automatically taken off of the bill as a globalist
  • lots of restaurants in the neighborhood and two grocery stores in walking distance

Overall, I’m very happy with my stay, particularly with the rate and nice upgrade received. Hopefully, the breakfast situation will improve, which would make the hotel an even better option.
mcgahat likes this.
Old Dec 4, 2021, 6:02 am

Programs: It's Complicated...
Originally Posted by Bretmd
I’m just finishing up a four night stay here. Rates were incredibly low ($121/night). Was pre-upgraded to a junior suite as a globalist and love the room. It’s not large, but it’s a corner with lots of windows, great views of the neighborhood and river, and a beautiful design. The lighting is soft, which I appreciate. The suite also comes with a nespresso machine.

A few things I’ve noticed:
  • extremely small desk; very glad I didn’t have to work from the room
  • shower doesn’t completely close but didn’t leak out… much
  • The windows open, and the central air senses this and will stop working until closed
  • room does not have a proper closet; there’s a large wardrobe instead
  • globalist breakfast still uses Butler, which is frustrating at best. It’s annoying that I can’t so much as make a substitution without incurring a fee.
  • pastries of decent quality and coffee are provided (free) in the lobby each morning
  • destination fee is automatically taken off of the bill as a globalist
  • lots of restaurants in the neighborhood and two grocery stores in walking distance

Overall, I’m very happy with my stay, particularly with the rate and nice upgrade received. Hopefully, the breakfast situation will improve, which would make the hotel an even better option.
Did an office day rate stay here and got a normal room as a Globalist. Highlighting the desk comment, it was more of an accent piece of furniture with a non functional chair than a desk and chair setup. I guess the rate you got makes this property more appealing but didn't really see a reason to ever go back to this place. It wasn't bad but not really that good IMO.
Old Jan 1, 2022, 7:08 pm

Question

Originally Posted by mcgahat
Did an office day rate stay here and got a normal room as a Globalist. Highlighting the desk comment, it was more of an accent piece of furniture with a non functional chair than a desk and chair setup. I guess the rate you got makes this property more appealing but didn't really see a reason to ever go back to this place. It wasn't bad but not really that good IMO.
Did you get a Glob breakfast during your Office of the Day rate?
Old Jan 2, 2022, 6:50 am

Originally Posted by IAD_flyer
Did you get a Glob breakfast during your Office of the Day rate?
No. I would not have expected to either really. Honestly, there was little acknowledgement of status other than "thanks for being a Globalist", or something to that effect.
IAD_flyer likes this.
Old Jan 3, 2022, 11:23 am
Moderator, Delta Skymiles and Mileage Run

Programs: DL Diamond/MM, Hyatt Diamond, former AS MVPG 75K, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Gold
Any word if this hotel plans to reopen the restaurant this year?
Old Jan 3, 2022, 1:47 pm

Originally Posted by ryandc99
Any word if this hotel plans to reopen the restaurant this year?
Maialino Mare has been open, Weds-Sunday, for a few months now. Anchovy Social, the rooftop bar, has also been open, same hours. But if you're talking about for breakfast, I prodded the staff back in November and they were noncommittal.
Old Jan 3, 2022, 9:37 pm
Moderator, Delta Skymiles and Mileage Run

Programs: DL Diamond/MM, Hyatt Diamond, former AS MVPG 75K, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by QuantumMeruit
Maialino Mare has been open, Weds-Sunday, for a few months now. Anchovy Social, the rooftop bar, has also been open, same hours. But if you're talking about for breakfast, I prodded the staff back in November and they were noncommittal.
I see. Thank you!
Old Jan 17, 2022, 3:18 pm

Okay stay.

Stayed at the Thompson Washington D.C. on an "Office for the Day" rate. Okay property overall. FDA did not understand what the "Office for the Day" rate was and claimed he doing me a "favor" by letting me check-in at 7a and get four bottles of water. Later at 3p I received a call asking when I was leaving, again the FDA did not understand what my rate allowed (7a to 7p).

Standard King was a nice room other than the desk chair. I was able to get the glob breakfast at the restaurant.

Standard King Room

Standard King Room

Standard King Room - Awful Chair

Lobby Bar

Rooftop
Old Jan 17, 2022, 5:04 pm

Stayed at the Thompson Washington D.C. on an "Office for the Day" rate. Okay property overall. FDA did not understand what the "Office for the Day" rate was and claimed he doing me a "favor" by letting me check-in at 7a and get four bottles of water. Later at 3p I received a call asking when I was leaving, again the FDA did not understand what my rate allowed (7a to 7p).

Standard King was a nice room other than the desk chair. I was able to get the glob breakfast at the restaurant.

Thanks for the update. I had one Office day rate here and the prices are decent. They did seem fairly clueless but nice when I was there. They seemed to have no problem letting no status customers check in next to me at 9AM which I considered a good thing. That room was nicer than the tiny little room I got on my office day rate stay. As you noted, the chair and desk are absolutely pathetic. Great that you got breakfast, did you ask or did they volunteer that?
GUWonder and IAD_flyer like this.
Old Jan 17, 2022, 6:27 pm

Originally Posted by mcgahat
Great that you got breakfast, did you ask or did they volunteer that?
I asked at check-in.
mcgahat likes this.
Old Jan 17, 2022, 6:40 pm

I asked at check-in.
I might have to give them another shot, that might change things. Too bad the office rate does get stay credit anymore.
IAD_flyer likes this.
Old Jan 17, 2022, 7:22 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL PM, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Ambassador/LTP, Nat'l Exec Elite, LEYE Gold
I asked at check-in.
Wait so is the restaurant now open for breakfast? The Glob breakfast was Bethesda bagels and then it was the junky Butler thing but it sounds like normal full breakfast is back? What were the options if so?
Old Jan 17, 2022, 7:59 pm

Originally Posted by platbrownguy
Wait so is the restaurant now open for breakfast? The Glob breakfast was Bethesda bagels and then it was the junky Butler thing but it sounds like normal full breakfast is back? What were the options if so?
Yes, the restaurant is open, not sure if it is every day. I had Cotechino with eggs. A few other options. I think there was a Jamón option and a veggie option.
platbrownguy likes this.
Old Jan 17, 2022, 8:06 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL PM, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Ambassador/LTP, Nat'l Exec Elite, LEYE Gold
Yes, the restaurant is open, not sure if it is every day. I had Cotechino with eggs. A few other options. I think there was a Jamón option and a veggie option.
Cool, good to know. Even the restaurant's website doesn't sound like it's open for breakfast other than weekend brunch.
IAD_flyer likes this.
Old Feb 19, 2022, 7:10 am

Programs: Hilton, SkyMiles
Originally Posted by platbrownguy
Cool, good to know. Even the restaurant's website doesn't sound like it's open for breakfast other than weekend brunch.
Currently staying at the hotel at the moment. I was given butler coupon codes to use for breakfast. I did ask about vouchers for brunch, which they offered but decided against it to try out the service. (The FDA did say they are going to start phasing out the brunch vouchers though). It's disappointing to say the least
mcgahat likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.