Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Hyatt House/Place Shanghai Hongqiao CBD

Hyatt House/Place Shanghai Hongqiao CBD

Old Jan 1, 2020, 10:36 am

Originally Posted by lsquare
It also doesn't seem to be too far from a subway station, which I like. Anyone here been there before? I'm looking for some comments on this property.
It's very close to the Hongqiao RR station easily within walking distance.

I use this property when I have late arrivals into SHA, which I much prefer over PVG, to settle before heading off to my destination the following day. While there is a shuttle bus on the second level of the railway station (walk out turn left and walk about 1/2 block), it's much easier to just walk. However, as mentioned, if you've never been there before, I would advise against arriving when its dark and looking for the hotel for the first time.

The property seems relatively new, rooms are fresh & clean, and what one would expect of any HP/HH. I always choose HP, if only because I don't care for the kitchen stuff; and, breakfast is good with a wide selection of Western & Asian cuisines.

Originally Posted by Repooc17
Also, I am mesmerized by the food in Shanghai (and China in general) - OMG! one time I ate 36 xiaolongbao in one sitting.
Wow! I once ordered about a dozen as a single diner and thought that was excessive!

I agree on the Malls and with MSP on HK having, in my view, the best Asian (Cantonese cuisine is without peer, far as I'm concerned) cuisine of them all. The food "quality" in Mainland is some cause for concern, which is why I'll generally order things that can't be faked, e.g., an entire Peking duck, actual braised fatty pork in a claypot, etc.
lsquare likes this.

Last edited by Visconti; Jan 1, 2020 at 11:32 am Reason: multi quote...
Old Jan 1, 2020, 12:41 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

I'm not an expert on that. I think maybe moondog will know. Hongqiao is not really that close to Pudong, which is where the tourists go.
-only naive tourists stay in Pudong
-Hongqiao CBD isn't central to anything either, but staying there after a late arrival or before a morning departure is logical
-my company moved offices on 12/31, and I was a proponent of Hongqiao CBD because all of us live on Line 10, but we ended up going with Yuyuan instead (Hongqiao Rd was our second pick because it's closer to town than Hongqiao CBD)
lsquare likes this.
Old Jan 1, 2020, 4:35 pm

https://www.hyatt.com/en-US/hotel/ch...qiao-cbd/shazh

https://www.hyatt.com/en-US/hotel/ch...qiao-cbd/shaxh

I'm new to Hyatt so I'm not sure where Place and House lies in Hyatt's line of brands. It seems like these two hotels are next to one another and the price is fairly similar. It also doesn't seem to be too far from a subway station, which I like. Anyone here been there before? I'm looking for some comments on this property. I'm currently a Hyatt Discoverist and potentially be a Explorist by the time I get back to Shanghai.

Thanks.
I stayed Hyatt Place Hongqiao CBD in November for two nights. Overall good bang for your buck.

Plus: Hongqiao CBD and Hongqiao Airport/Train Station are nearby. If you're doing business in this area and/or need to catch flights or trains, location is ideal. The Hub, a mega shopping mall, is also a few steps away.

Cons: Hongqiao is pretty far away from the traditional urban cores and touristy spots (the Bund, Xujiahui, Jing'An Temple and etc) in Shanghai. True you can navigate via Shanghai's extensive metro network, but that takes lots of time. I mean it takes 50+ min to get to the Bund by metro, for example.

I would say don't stay there if it's your first time in Shanghai on a leisure trip. Instead try Hyatt Place Tianshan Square, which is much closer to downtown.
lsquare likes this.
Old Jan 1, 2020, 5:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: DL, OZ, AC, AS, AA, BA, Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott, IHG
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Personally, I vote for the food in Hong Kong and Singapore, plus fewer concerns about food safety. In fact, Singapore is one of the few places where I will voluntarily consume stuff from street vendors (or the equivalent). The restaurants in mainland China without basic hot water and toilet facilities scare me.
Different kind of food though...I do agree with you that HK and Singapore have good food.
Old Jan 1, 2020, 5:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Visconti
It's very close to the Hongqiao RR station easily within walking distance.

I use this property when I have late arrivals into SHA, which I much prefer over PVG, to settle before heading off to my destination the following day. While there is a shuttle bus on the second level of the railway station (walk out turn left and walk about 1/2 block), it's much easier to just walk. However, as mentioned, if you've never been there before, I would advise against arriving when its dark and looking for the hotel for the first time.

The property seems relatively new, rooms are fresh & clean, and what one would expect of any HP/HH. I always choose HP, if only because I don't care for the kitchen stuff; and, breakfast is good with a wide selection of Western & Asian cuisines.
Finally! You're the first person to address this topic. Thanks for the feedback and I think I'll have to give it a shot. What's the difference between HP and HH? Which one gives free breakfast for me since I'm only a Discoverist and possibly an Explorist by the time I get back to Shanghai?

What do you mean by Hongqiao RR? You mean the station on Line 2?

I've been to Hongqiao subway station and the main train station a few times before so I should be fine. Plus, I can always just ask.

Wow! I once ordered about a dozen as a single diner and thought that was excessive!

I agree on the Malls and with MSP on HK having, in my view, the best Asian (Cantonese cuisine is without peer, far as I'm concerned) cuisine of them all. The food "quality" in Mainland is some cause for concern, which is why I'll generally order things that can't be faked, e.g., an entire Peking duck, actual braised fatty pork in a claypot, etc.
Not everyone can or will go to HK. I did provide a bit of context for my statement and I stand by it. Without a doubt, HK is superior to any Mainland Chinese city.
Old Jan 1, 2020, 5:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by moondog
-only naive tourists stay in Pudong
-Hongqiao CBD isn't central to anything either, but staying there after a late arrival or before a morning departure is logical
-my company moved offices on 12/31, and I was a proponent of Hongqiao CBD because all of us live on Line 10, but we ended up going with Yuyuan instead (Hongqiao Rd was our second pick because it's closer to town than Hongqiao CBD)
Since you're the resident expert on Shanghai, are there any good restaurants or food in the Hongqiao area? I didn't spend much time exploring there over the years.
Old Jan 1, 2020, 5:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by yuzheny
I stayed Hyatt Place Hongqiao CBD in November for two nights. Overall good bang for your buck.

Plus: Hongqiao CBD and Hongqiao Airport/Train Station are nearby. If you're doing business in this area and/or need to catch flights or trains, location is ideal. The Hub, a mega shopping mall, is also a few steps away.

Cons: Hongqiao is pretty far away from the traditional urban cores and touristy spots (the Bund, Xujiahui, Jing'An Temple and etc) in Shanghai. True you can navigate via Shanghai's extensive metro network, but that takes lots of time. I mean it takes 50+ min to get to the Bund by metro, for example.

I would say don't stay there if it's your first time in Shanghai on a leisure trip. Instead try Hyatt Place Tianshan Square, which is much closer to downtown.
Thanks for the feedback. What about the food? You got status with Hyatt?

I think I'm going to book this when I return to PVG next spring. I can simply take the subway from PVG all the way to end of Line 2 to get to this hotel? How long will that take? 1.5 hours?
Old Jan 1, 2020, 5:32 pm

...What's the difference between HP and HH? Which one gives free breakfast for me since I'm only a Discoverist and possibly an Explorist by the time I get back to Shanghai?
Not much and both are within the same property--post entrance, HH you turn right and HP you turn left. HH has more family oriented items such as potentially a larger frig, sink & maybe a cooking area meant for longer stays. HP is just a similar room but without all that domestic stuff, which I prefer. Both allow for complimentary breakfast for all guests, so long as one is WOH member regardless of status. Now, if one is Glob, I suppose they may try to find you a nicer table?

What do you mean by Hongqiao RR? You mean the station on Line 2?
Yes. That humongous thing they call the Hongqiao Railway Station which houses the line 2, other assorted trains and connects to the SHA, along with the assorted plethora of restaurants and the, in my experience, most unfriendly Starbucks on the planet (LOL...funny story, but for another time).

I've been to Hongqiao subway station and the main train station a few times before so I should be fine. Plus, I can always just ask.
While it's more difficult during the night, if you've been to the Station before, then it should be manageable. If you're taking Line 2, here's a general guide (to the best of my recollection): exit and walk away from the Airport (opposite end of the restaurants leading into SHA), and keep walking until you see to your left an entrance into a parking lot; walk in there, turn right and take the escalators up into a long platform that leads across a long walkway over a somewhat open courtyard; when you get to the end of it, walk down the stairs onto the ground level, turn right and the Hotel is about 2 or 3 blocks away with the grand entrance to the right on the end of the road's corner. Ah, assuming your night vision's ok, you shouldn't have too many problems.

Easier during the day, since you can see the HH/HP signage the moment you exit the Station.
lsquare likes this.
Old Jan 1, 2020, 6:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Visconti
Not much and both are within the same property--post entrance, HH you turn right and HP you turn left. HH has more family oriented items such as potentially a larger frig, sink & maybe a cooking area meant for longer stays. HP is just a similar room but without all that domestic stuff, which I prefer. Both allow for complimentary breakfast for all guests, so long as one is WOH member regardless of status. Now, if one is Glob, I suppose they may try to find you a nicer table?

Yes. That humongous thing they call the Hongqiao Railway Station which houses the line 2, other assorted trains and connects to the SHA, along with the assorted plethora of restaurants and the, in my experience, most unfriendly Starbucks on the planet (LOL...funny story, but for another time).

While it's more difficult during the night, if you've been to the Station before, then it should be manageable. If you're taking Line 2, here's a general guide (to the best of my recollection): exit and walk away from the Airport (opposite end of the restaurants leading into SHA), and keep walking until you see to your left an entrance into a parking lot; walk in there, turn right and take the escalators up into a long platform that leads across a long walkway over a somewhat open courtyard; when you get to the end of it, walk down the stairs onto the ground level, turn right and the Hotel is about 2 or 3 blocks away with the grand entrance to the right on the end of the road's corner. Ah, assuming your night vision's ok, you shouldn't have too many problems.

Easier during the day, since you can see the HH/HP signage the moment you exit the Station.
Thank you so much! Looks like I got a bunch of Hyatt places to try in Asia over the course of 2020. Can you comment a bit further as to what the breakfast spread is like? Is it more than good enough to get the day started? I recognize this is not a Grand Hyatt or a Hyatt Regency so I'm being realistic with my expectation.
Old Jan 1, 2020, 6:48 pm

Programs: LH, WoH, Bonvoy, ALL, SH-L
Why do you need to know all this stuff? It's a HP in Hongqiao....... If you're looking for a cheap place or need to be in the area then stay there, if not then stay at a real hotel.
Old Jan 1, 2020, 7:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Hydro88
Why do you need to know all this stuff? It's a HP in Hongqiao....... If you're looking for a cheap place or need to be in the area then stay there, if not then stay at a real hotel.
What's wrong with asking?
Old Jan 1, 2020, 7:13 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

What's wrong with asking?
Asking is fine, but you should stay in a better location.
MSPeconomist and lsquare like this.
Old Jan 1, 2020, 7:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by moondog
Asking is fine, but you should stay in a better location.
Haha, I know, but I need my Hyatt nights in and I don't got high status with them. Hopefully I'll be Globalist before the end of 2020. My goals in 2020 is to at a minimum re-qualify for Platinum, but kind of aiming for Titanium and get Globalist with Hyatt.
Old Jan 1, 2020, 7:46 pm

FWIW, I had breakfast at the HP Tianshan Plaza and it was excellent. Completely blows away the standard HH/HP buffets in the US and depending on your metrics, could blow away higher end breakfast buffets as well. But of course this may not offer any indication of the quality at Hongqiao CBD.
lsquare likes this.
Old Jan 1, 2020, 7:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by projectmaximus
FWIW, I had breakfast at the HP Tianshan Plaza and it was excellent. Completely blows away the standard HH/HP buffets in the US and depending on your metrics, could blow away higher end breakfast buffets as well. But of course this may not offer any indication of the quality at Hongqiao CBD.
Hyatt Place Shanghai Tianshan Plaza is a 7-minute walk to Loushanguan Road Metro station. True or not?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.