Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Putting a “Block” on a dozen rooms

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 18, 2019, 11:53 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond

Looking to get 10-15 rooms blocked at ideally (1) property, though there are (2) other Hyatt’s within a 5 minute walk which would work perfectly as well.

I am a Globalist and wondering what’s the best way to do this? I’m also wondering what typical discount is offered for this type of thing?

I wish I could see their inventory so I know if they’re close to capacity, if they’re not (because it’s considered off-season) then it’d appear there’s room to negotiate.
Old Dec 19, 2019, 12:04 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Why not call the hotel and find out? You'll probably be expected to put down a deposit, not sure about any discounts.
Old Dec 19, 2019, 12:15 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by LondonElite
Why not call the hotel and find out? You'll probably be expected to put down a deposit, not sure about any discounts.
It’s for a wedding nearby. Everyone would pay individually for their rooms, just a lot of people have asked and mentioned that having rooms blocked at a certain hotel is common and usually at a good discount.

I checked the property’s website, but no email is listed. Also since it may be potentially via (3) properties contacting one won’t do the trick. Corporate must have a way though, just seeing if maybe someone has done this before and knows the process.
Old Dec 19, 2019, 12:27 am
Suspended

10-15 rooms for a night or two is really not that much of a big deal to a hotel, I don't think you'll get much of a discount (if at all), other than off a rack rate which is usually higher than internet rates. The purpose of the block is more to give you certainty of the group staying together. The only way to get anywhere is by contacting the hotel directly (telephone), Hyatt corporate will not get involved for this.
Old Dec 19, 2019, 1:07 am
Original Poster

10-15 rooms for a night or two is really not that much of a big deal to a hotel, I don't think you'll get much of a discount (if at all), other than off a rack rate which is usually higher than internet rates. The purpose of the block is more to give you certainty of the group staying together. The only way to get anywhere is by contacting the hotel directly (telephone), Hyatt corporate will not get involved for this.
Combined I would say most guests would be staying 3-5 nights rather than 1-2. So potentially up to 75 room nights would be allocated 5 x 15 guests, though I’d guess more like 3 nights on average x 15 guests = 45 room nights being conservative.

I know Hyatt works with 3rd party’s (Expedia, Hotels.com, Hotwire, Chase Travel Portal) to sell rooms giving those 3rd parties 30% or more off the lowest posted rates.

Considering it is off-season for this area I thought that maybe they’d be able to negotiate rates. I’ve definitely seen it done at other hotel groups.
Old Dec 19, 2019, 1:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Find the sales manager and make a deal.
Old Dec 19, 2019, 1:57 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by Matt4200
Combined I would say most guests would be staying 3-5 nights rather than 1-2. So potentially up to 75 room nights would be allocated 5 x 15 guests, though I’d guess more like 3 nights on average x 15 guests = 45 room nights being conservative.

I know Hyatt works with 3rd party’s (Expedia, Hotels.com, Hotwire, Chase Travel Portal) to sell rooms giving those 3rd parties 30% or more off the lowest posted rates.

Considering it is off-season for this area I thought that maybe they’d be able to negotiate rates. I’ve definitely seen it done at other hotel groups.
Since we don't know the property or expected loads on the day, the only thing you can do is call the property, speak to sales, and see where you get. But you'll need to show something, not just 'I expect a bunch of people to book here for a few days but no guarantees.'
Old Dec 19, 2019, 2:06 am
Original Poster

Since we don't know the property or expected loads on the day, the only thing you can do is call the property, speak to sales, and see where you get. But you'll need to show something, not just 'I expect a bunch of people to book here for a few days but no guarantees.'
I’d say it’s 100% dependent on rates they can give as far as guaranteeing guests. I’ll try sales it’s just as I said in the initial post no email is provided on their page on Hyatt.com usually one is available.
Old Dec 19, 2019, 2:22 am
Suspended

Hotels don't really do email communication very well, at least not as an initial point of contact. Call the property itself, and go from there.
Old Dec 19, 2019, 5:45 am

Programs: LH, WoH, Bonvoy, ALL, SH-L
1) Just call the properties (much quicker than posting on here).
2) Don't expect great discounts.
3) Being a Globalist won't change anything.
Old Dec 19, 2019, 6:50 am

Programs: AA EXP 2.8m,Lifetime PLT, Hilton Diamond, IHG PlLT, SPG Gold
or you could use travel agent, for what you are looking to do.. it will probably work out better. (other then calling the sales dept at the hotel)
Old Dec 19, 2019, 8:03 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Forget email.

Call the property and ask to speak with the sales manager. Explain what you want and see what you get. Different properties will handle what they do or not do based on their own assessment as they do with standard RM/IM.

If you are not paying or even making a deposit, do not expect the discount or perks to be that much.

No way to tell until you make the call.
Old Dec 19, 2019, 8:20 am

Programs: DL , AC, BA, Hhonors Diamond, IH Platinum, Bonvoy Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by Aventine
I used to work for Hyatt.

For that number of rooms, you'll have to go through the Sales Dept. Call 'em up.
Old Dec 19, 2019, 9:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: WN CP, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Aventine
Exactly. This is literally why those people have jobs. Otherwise it could all be done online.
Old Dec 19, 2019, 10:21 am
formerly a193991
Hyatt 5+ BadgeHilton Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt LT Globalist; LX SEN (*A Gold), AA LTG
just call the sales department and ask (easier than through FT).
a wedding room block is no different than any other meeting/convention (just that maybe no F&B is needed), so would not expect huge discounts.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.