FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Hyatt | World of Hyatt (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hyatt-world-hyatt-418/)
-   -   Messed up. Big time. Sitting at 54 qualifying nights, need 60 for globalists.. (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hyatt-world-hyatt/1999024-messed-up-big-time-sitting-54-qualifying-nights-need-60-globalists.html)

broncophil Dec 9, 2019 9:56 am

Messed up. Big time. Sitting at 54 qualifying nights, need 60 for globalists..

And my dec Hyatt credit card cycle ended dec 2. So the rest of my spend doe Xmas wont count.

what should I do?

points and cash mattress run ??

or is globalist not worth it?

Neric Dec 9, 2019 9:59 am

What are your plans in 2020? What Hyatts will you be staying at.

Globalist makes a much bigger difference at Park Hyatt, Andaz, Some diff at Regency and Grand's and not much difference at HH and HP.

So it really depends upon where you plan to stay next year.

MSPeconomist Dec 9, 2019 10:01 am

Originally Posted by broncophil (Post 31821671)
And my dec Hyatt credit card cycle ended dec 2. So the rest of my spend doe Xmas wont count.

what should I do?

points and cash mattress run ??

or is globalist not worth it?

Are you currently Glob for 2019? If so, note that you might only need 55 nights this year to REqualify. Check the rules carefully as some status matches/challenges might have different rules.

TerryK Dec 9, 2019 10:07 am

Originally Posted by broncophil (Post 31821671)
And my dec Hyatt credit card cycle ended dec 2. So the rest of my spend doe Xmas wont count......

Isn't Hyatt credit night based on transaction date, instead of statement date?

TrojanDomer Dec 9, 2019 10:36 am

CC is based on transaction date, so could post in January and all work out (terms say may take 6-8 weeks to credit);
If you can find a cheap hotel locally I would probably jump on a mattress run; since still time to get in on 2x/3x points promo which if you find a $50-$75 Hyatt place would be worth the peace of mind personally vs. hoping for next $10,000-15,000 in spend to all post on time for 6 night credit.
See here for recent discussion on same topic
I believe you would need to check out before promo (Dec 15) to get extra points
As for worth it, I had to make the call and for me it was, since I will get at least $300 value from the T1-7 certificate and value the 2 extra TSU at probably conservatively $50-$100 each to use towards family vacations, and we would definitely save money from free breakfast, waived resort fees and free parking (award stays) and lounge access on trips to full service properties.

Matt the Coffeeman Dec 9, 2019 10:51 am

Originally Posted by TrojanDomer (Post 31821807)
CC is based on transaction date, so could post in January and all work out (terms say may take 6-8 weeks to credit);
If you can find a cheap hotel locally I would probably jump on a mattress run; since still time to get in on 2x/3x points promo which if you find a $50-$75 Hyatt place would be worth the peace of mind personally vs. hoping for next $10,000-15,000 in spend to all post on time for 6 night credit.
As for worth it, I had to make the call and for me it was, since I will get at least $300 value from the T1-7 certificate and value the 2 extra TSU at probably conservatively $50-$100 each to use towards family vacations.

Totally agree that it's a trade off for how much you value the Globalist benefits. For me, I went for it last year when I recognized that I would be spending 9 days in Japan and 7 in Australia, with three people, which translated into almost $3k in free breakfasts at fancy Hyatts.

broncophil Dec 9, 2019 11:30 am

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist (Post 31821693)
Are you currently Glob for 2019? If so, note that you might only need 55 nights this year to REqualify. Check the rules carefully as some status matches/challenges might have different rules.

no I’m explorist

broncophil Dec 9, 2019 11:33 am

I normally stay and grand and park and Andaz. So I guess it would worth it.

My southwest cc is dec closing date. I figured it was the same with Hyatt?

can anyone confirm?

thanks

Originally Posted by TerryK (Post 31821709)
Isn't Hyatt credit night based on transaction date, instead of statement date?

Originally Posted by TrojanDomer (Post 31821807)
As for worth it, I had to make the call and for me it was, since I will get at least $300 value from the T1-7 certificate and value the 2 extra TSU at probably conservatively $50-$100 each to use towards family vacations, and we would definitely save money from free breakfast, waived resort fees and free parking (award stays) and lounge access on trips to full service properties.

Originally Posted by Matt the Coffeeman (Post 31821874)
Totally agree that it's a trade off for how much you value the Globalist benefits. For me, I went for it last year when I recognized that I would be spending 9 days in Japan and 7 in Australia, with three people, which translated into almost $3k in free breakfasts at fancy Hyatts.

Originally Posted by Neric (Post 31821682)
What are your plans in 2020? What Hyatts will you be staying at.

Globalist makes a much bigger difference at Park Hyatt, Andaz, Some diff at Regency and Grand's and not much difference at HH and HP.

So it really depends upon where you plan to stay next year.

TrojanDomer Dec 9, 2019 11:40 am

I would make something like my example table and try to add up what it is costing you and whether it is worth it (and whether you would have to spend unusually on next statement to try and get the nights to credit on your next statement, since you look to be $10,001 - $15,000 short).
Someone is working through same risk for 2 nights on the Main Thread -
In theory if you can wait until January or February for status, the credit card credits should all work out eventually, so mattress run is a waste in that sense, but not making globalist wasn't worth it when I did an example earlier this year. (this is just a random example for this week at a Tier 1, but wouldn't personally fly somewhere to get 6 cheaper nights), compared to paying a little more locally (holiday staycation?)
https://cimg7.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.fly...c7d8fd0eab.png
Globablist Value example

TrojanDomer Dec 9, 2019 11:42 am

Originally Posted by broncophil (Post 31822034)

can anyone confirm?

thanks

southwest is different because they are points which are issued at later date and have a rigid calendar year for Companion Pass. The main Hyatt CC thread I linked (starting with post 1344) had someone showing terms and conditions and examples from past where the nights credit properly on the year they were earned based on spending (eventually)

Matt4200 Dec 9, 2019 11:49 am

Originally Posted by broncophil (Post 31822034)

can anyone confirm?

thanks

I will confirm that the points will post to your WOH account on 1/03 for December spend. For a statement date of 12/02 your next statement will be on 1/02 and it takes 24 hours to process.

That being said many people are speculating on how it works, rather than basing it on personal experience. I am no different. However, I can tell you that it will go one of two ways:

1) Your statement closes on 1/02, your points are added and you Hyatt retroactively gives you Glob Status, along with the benefits thereof.

2) Your statement closes on 1/02, your points are added but after a few days of waiting you see no change to Globalist. You reach out to Hyatt Concierge via Twitter or phone and let them know the situation. You send the quote of the terms and conditions of the WOH card saying that spend on the card with get credit for the year in which the money was spent. They research and after a little bit you are Globalist.

Those are the two options I see. Since it is in their own T&C they cannot turn you down, which is greatly beneficial for you.

For me on the other hand since my statement already closed for December I would hope they Credit and December spend to 2020 as currently I have 70 Elite nights and even if I spend 20k it would only bump me up to 78 nights as I have no plans to stay at another Hyatt this month.

But again either way everything is on your side as far as spend in December counting for finishing up earning Globalist.

broncophil Dec 9, 2019 12:05 pm

Thank you. Thank you

it should be quite doable with Xmas gifts

Originally Posted by TrojanDomer (Post 31822077)
southwest is different because they are points which are issued at later date and have a rigid calendar year for Companion Pass. The main Hyatt CC thread I linked (starting with post 1344) had someone showing terms and conditions and examples from past where the nights credit properly on the year they were earned based on spending (eventually)

Originally Posted by Matt4200 (Post 31822113)
I will confirm that the points will post to your WOH account on 1/03 for December spend. For a statement date of 12/02 your next statement will be on 1/02 and it takes 24 hours to process.

That being said many people are speculating on how it works, rather than basing it on personal experience. I am no different. However, I can tell you that it will go one of two ways:

1) Your statement closes on 1/02, your points are added and you Hyatt retroactively gives you Glob Status, along with the benefits thereof.

2) Your statement closes on 1/02, your points are added but after a few days of waiting you see no change to Globalist. You reach out to Hyatt Concierge via Twitter or phone and let them know the situation. You send the quote of the terms and conditions of the WOH card saying that spend on the card with get credit for the year in which the money was spent. They research and after a little bit you are Globalist.

Those are the two options I see. Since it is in their own T&C they cannot turn you down, which is greatly beneficial for you.

For me on the other hand since my statement already closed for December I would hope they Credit and December spend to 2020 as currently I have 70 Elite nights and even if I spend 20k it would only bump me up to 78 nights as I have no plans to stay at another Hyatt this month.

But again either way everything is on your side as far as spend in December counting for finishing up earning Globalist.

TrojanDomer Dec 9, 2019 12:08 pm

as long as you don't cut it close (spending on Dec 31 that doesn't actually post until January) or just missing the threshhold (people have been burned by counting an annual fee or have a return post) you should be in good shape

SHLTP Dec 9, 2019 7:41 pm

I just did 11 night mattress run using points at a Hyatt Place (1st time seeing one) for a total of 55,000 points to re qualify. For me totally worth it - I generally stay at Park, Alila, GH and HR. It is also my 5th brand so I'll get a certificate for free night. I can't imagine staying at a Hyatt Place normally so good to get the brand on my record.

Unless I am forgetting something, I got a suite upgrade everytime this year. And full breakfast at 70% of the hotels after asking nicely. Breakfast alone at a PH with my family for a week stay somewhere is just about same price as the points I redeemed.

100% of my Hyatt stays are non-US. For me, it is absolutely worth it. I am not so sure about US stays as I have never found elite benefits particularly compelling at Hyatt or Marriott/ SPG.

But I'd recommend soing what it takes to re qualify for Globalist if you have 30 nights in 2020 at full service property. If fewer, then the 4 club lounge pass and 2 suite night awards at 50 probably enough

JackE Dec 9, 2019 8:58 pm

Ask Chase to change your credit card closing date to Dec. 31.

Matt4200 Dec 9, 2019 9:16 pm

Originally Posted by JackE (Post 31823731)
Ask Chase to change your credit card closing date to Dec. 31.

OP can’t as Chase only allows it to the 28th as all months have the 28th, while all do not have a 31st.

nycflyer17 Dec 10, 2019 6:14 am

Check and see if you qualify for the double elite nights for the unbound collection. Some nice options in Miami and New Orleans of you can do it (and you qualify - not all seem to).

toomanybooks Dec 10, 2019 8:50 am

IMO you'd be completely nuts not to get 6 more nights for Globalist, unless you literally will not stay in a Hyatt next year. Best hotel status available to the general public by far. As someone said, the free cat 7 night alone is probably worth at least $300.

Is there not a cat 1 near you? Only 5K points a night, or triple points on a cash stay if you registered a couple months back.

Change your CC statement drop date to the 20th so something so you do not have this problem next year.

Colin Dec 10, 2019 9:14 am

it was definitely established at the end of 2018 that the Chase WOH Visa $5000 spend for 2 elite nights is 100% based upon the actual Chase posting date for the spend that ticks you over the next $5000 threshold.

the way that this was implemented was that Chase notified WOH just after the Jan Chase statement date & WOH back-dated the elite nights into the prior year with a Dec 31 posting date in your WOH past activity detail.

ergo, all $5000 thresholds hit based upon Chase WOH Visa Dec 2019 posted spend will count as 2019 WOH elite nights. statement date is ultimately irrelevant.

toomanybooks Dec 10, 2019 11:34 am

Originally Posted by Colin (Post 31825411)
it was definitely established at the end of 2018 that the Chase WOH Visa $5000 spend for 2 elite nights is 100% based upon the actual Chase posting date for the spend that ticks you over the next $5000 threshold.

the way that this was implemented was that Chase notified WOH just after the Jan Chase statement date & WOH back-dated the elite nights into the prior year with a Dec 31 posting date in your WOH past activity detail.

ergo, all $5000 thresholds hit based upon Chase WOH Visa Dec 2019 posted spend will count as 2019 WOH elite nights. statement date is ultimately irrelevant.

The problem is that you cannot stake really important things like this on Chase being 100% consistent. Check the WN forum for all kinds of craziness around posting dates, changed dates, extra unexpected statements, delays, what happens with fraud, double posts in error by merchants with refunds, returns, etc. This on top of incorrect info given out by reps.

On something worth potentially thousands of dollars, I'd never trust Chase computers/procedures/reps 100%.

JackE Dec 10, 2019 7:25 pm

Originally Posted by Matt4200 (Post 31823763)
OP can’t as Chase only allows it to the 28th as all months have the 28th, while all do not have a 31st.

Good point. Then the easy solution is to change it to December 28th so the spend counts this year.

azepine00 Dec 10, 2019 9:33 pm

Originally Posted by broncophil (Post 31822148)
Thank you. Thank you

it should be quite doable with Xmas gifts

Hmmm 30k in xmas gifts - can i get on your list? I ve been very nice this year :D

projectmaximus Dec 11, 2019 6:34 am

Originally Posted by azepine00 (Post 31827594)
Hmmm 30k in xmas gifts - can i get on your list? I ve been very nice this year :D

It's only 15k, and he said doable as perhaps he already has 10k+ in regular spending...but yes I thought the same thing. Happy to accept a gift if it helps get over the finish line!

skywalkerLAX Dec 11, 2019 9:15 am

6 nights at a HP 5k level somewhere should do the trick just fine.

Colin Dec 11, 2019 9:44 am

Originally Posted by toomanybooks (Post 31825987)
The problem is that you cannot stake really important things like this on Chase being 100% consistent. Check the WN forum for all kinds of craziness around posting dates, changed dates, extra unexpected statements, delays, what happens with fraud, double posts in error by merchants with refunds, returns, etc. This on top of incorrect info given out by reps.

On something worth potentially thousands of dollars, I'd never trust Chase computers/procedures/reps 100%.

that's beyond cray advice, to needlessly blow $500 or so on dummy stays when the calendar year matter was definitely established last year.

toomanybooks Dec 11, 2019 10:20 am

Originally Posted by Colin (Post 31829249)
that's beyond cray advice, to needlessly blow $500 or so on dummy stays when the calendar year matter was definitely established last year.

Merry Christmas to you as well.

skywalkerLAX Dec 11, 2019 10:37 am

Originally Posted by Colin (Post 31829249)

Unless I have something in writing from Chase that pinpoints exactly this situation then nothing has been established. All we know is it worked liked that the last time around. No guarantees for the future.

$500 +/- (more like $300 for 6 nights) is a fairly small sum to ensure the status is guaranteed, Can always put the CC spend on another card with a better bonus opportunity.

Colin Dec 11, 2019 11:00 am

Originally Posted by skywalkerLAX (Post 31829458)
Unless I have something in writing from Chase that pinpoints exactly this situation then nothing has been established. All we know is it worked liked that the last time around. No guarantees for the future.

$500 +/- (more like $300 for 6 nights) is a fairly small sum to ensure the status is guaranteed, Can always put the CC spend on another card with a better bonus opportunity.

so odd for some people to try to inject uncertainty where there is none.

toomanybooks Dec 13, 2019 5:46 am

Originally Posted by skywalkerLAX (Post 31829458)

Yeah, some of us have noticed over the last 20+ years that things change in this hobby.

Matt4200 Dec 16, 2019 1:21 am

Well I just spent 10k on WOH CC, my next statement won’t be until January I’ll definitely post back as a Datapoint if they post them to 2020 and then backdate them automatically or what happens.

In my case I’m hoping EQN post and stay in 2020, but the terms are against me along with DP from last year.

We will see!

broncophil Dec 19, 2019 9:37 am

I have 55 qualifying nights. Should I spend 40k points to earn globalist

I read on a blog that points bookings count towards 60 qualifying nights for globalist.

there are rooms available for 8k points. So should I book 5 nights to meet it?

im just confirming this works ???

thanks

skj Dec 19, 2019 9:52 am

Originally Posted by broncophil (Post 31856799)
I read on a blog that points bookings count towards 60 qualifying nights for globalist.

thanks

Yes, this would work. Be sure you check out from your 5th night on or before 31 December to make sure it counts for this year. It's up to you to figure out if it's worth it as that depends on your anticipated travel for next year, the value of the points, etc. There's lots of posts and threads here debating the pros and cons of MRs, and I'm sure others will repeat them here.

59Impala Dec 19, 2019 10:22 am

Originally Posted by broncophil (Post 31856799)

thanks

definitely yes, is is worth it, should you have many Hyatt hotel nights planned in 2020, Glob is absolutely worth it!

MSPeconomist Dec 19, 2019 10:34 am

A lot depends on the OP's anticipated travel patterns. Glob status doesn't matter much if OP will spend 60 nights in a HP but does matter at many higher tier hotels, where upgrades can be wonderful, breakfast is expensive, and lounge access is very nice. You'll also get a cat 1-7 free night cert to use well.

However, the additional point earnings won't matter much, even at 100,000 base points per year (which by itself would get you Glob status).

CIT85 Dec 19, 2019 12:46 pm

I wouldn't hesitate. Hyatt Globalist benefits are among the best in the hotel industry.

lotrbfme Dec 19, 2019 12:48 pm

What about the Hyatt credit card? Do you have it? If not, just by opening it you will get 5 nights credits!

TrojanDomer Dec 19, 2019 1:18 pm

point stays definitely count, and same discussion when you were at 54 nights.
Find or the cheapest option locally, and then you can decide if ?? dollars vs. 40,000 points is worth it, but point cost probably makes sense unless room is <$125/night

MikeFromTokyo Dec 19, 2019 1:24 pm

I would say yes, if the OP has even one stay at a nice Hyatt next year where the benefits really make a difference.

The category 1-7 complimentary night certificate immediately offsets the bulk of the 40k points, so in effect it costs even less than it seems. Also, consider paying for the stay out of pocket if rates are cheap enough.

skj Dec 19, 2019 1:31 pm

Originally Posted by lotrbfme (Post 31857553)
What about the Hyatt credit card? Do you have it? If not, just by opening it you will get 5 nights credits!

OP has the credit card ...

skj Dec 19, 2019 1:34 pm

Originally Posted by TrojanDomer (Post 31857664)
point stays definitely count, and same discussion when you were at 54 nights.

Thanks for pointing this out ! I was sure we'd had this discussion - Glob worth it ? - recently and should have taken the time to look for the OPs previous thread ...