FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Hyatt | World of Hyatt (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hyatt-world-hyatt-418/)
-   -   Messed up. Big time. Sitting at 54 qualifying nights, need 60 for globalists.. (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hyatt-world-hyatt/1999024-messed-up-big-time-sitting-54-qualifying-nights-need-60-globalists.html)

broncophil Dec 19, 2019 9:37 am

I have 55 qualifying nights. Should I spend 40k points to earn globalist

I read on a blog that points bookings count towards 60 qualifying nights for globalist.

there are rooms available for 8k points. So should I book 5 nights to meet it?

im just confirming this works ???

thanks

skj Dec 19, 2019 9:52 am

Originally Posted by broncophil (Post 31856799)
I read on a blog that points bookings count towards 60 qualifying nights for globalist.

thanks

Yes, this would work. Be sure you check out from your 5th night on or before 31 December to make sure it counts for this year. It's up to you to figure out if it's worth it as that depends on your anticipated travel for next year, the value of the points, etc. There's lots of posts and threads here debating the pros and cons of MRs, and I'm sure others will repeat them here.

59Impala Dec 19, 2019 10:22 am

Originally Posted by broncophil (Post 31856799)

thanks

definitely yes, is is worth it, should you have many Hyatt hotel nights planned in 2020, Glob is absolutely worth it!

MSPeconomist Dec 19, 2019 10:34 am

A lot depends on the OP's anticipated travel patterns. Glob status doesn't matter much if OP will spend 60 nights in a HP but does matter at many higher tier hotels, where upgrades can be wonderful, breakfast is expensive, and lounge access is very nice. You'll also get a cat 1-7 free night cert to use well.

However, the additional point earnings won't matter much, even at 100,000 base points per year (which by itself would get you Glob status).

CIT85 Dec 19, 2019 12:46 pm

I wouldn't hesitate. Hyatt Globalist benefits are among the best in the hotel industry.

lotrbfme Dec 19, 2019 12:48 pm

What about the Hyatt credit card? Do you have it? If not, just by opening it you will get 5 nights credits!

TrojanDomer Dec 19, 2019 1:18 pm

point stays definitely count, and same discussion when you were at 54 nights.
Find or the cheapest option locally, and then you can decide if ?? dollars vs. 40,000 points is worth it, but point cost probably makes sense unless room is <$125/night

MikeFromTokyo Dec 19, 2019 1:24 pm

I would say yes, if the OP has even one stay at a nice Hyatt next year where the benefits really make a difference.

The category 1-7 complimentary night certificate immediately offsets the bulk of the 40k points, so in effect it costs even less than it seems. Also, consider paying for the stay out of pocket if rates are cheap enough.

skj Dec 19, 2019 1:31 pm

Originally Posted by lotrbfme (Post 31857553)
What about the Hyatt credit card? Do you have it? If not, just by opening it you will get 5 nights credits!

OP has the credit card ...

skj Dec 19, 2019 1:34 pm

Originally Posted by TrojanDomer (Post 31857664)
point stays definitely count, and same discussion when you were at 54 nights.

Thanks for pointing this out ! I was sure we'd had this discussion - Glob worth it ? - recently and should have taken the time to look for the OPs previous thread ...

josephstern Dec 19, 2019 2:46 pm

8K points/night is the cheapest you can make work? Still probably worth it, but it might always be worthing traveling a little further for a cheaper option (category 1).

broncophil Dec 19, 2019 2:56 pm

Originally Posted by lotrbfme (Post 31857553)

yes I have it already. Thanks!!!

Mozart0815 Dec 19, 2019 8:23 pm

Originally Posted by skj (Post 31857731)
Thanks for pointing this out ! I was sure we'd had this discussion - Glob worth it ? - recently and should have taken the time to look for the OPs previous thread ...

The other Globalist worth it thread was me so this is a different OP.

By the way, I decided to take go for it with a mix of free points and paid nights, together with an extension of my business stays. One last night at a Hyatt Place tonight (which actually fits into my travel plans) and I’m officially Globalist.

Matt4200 Dec 19, 2019 8:44 pm

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist (Post 31857018)
Glob status doesn't matter much if OP will spend 60 nights in a HP

Just to note some HP locations charge for parking. HP Houston Galleria for example charges $27 per day as the only parking option. A Globalist would get that parking for free. So if someone stayed exclusively at HP, more specifically at properties with parking charges like HP Houston Galleria saving $27 a day x 60 days pre-tax that is $1,620 and after tax roughly $1,750. So even in that scenario I would save it does matter much that’s a lot of savings. In this case I’m assuming since it’s a Category 1 Property you’d use the 5k points rather than pay the $100+ Average daily rate.

Just because a Glob stays at a HP doesn’t mean they’re not getting benefits. ;)

I do completely agree that Globs can exercise more benefits at properties that are not HP/HH though.

MSPeconomist Dec 19, 2019 8:47 pm

Originally Posted by Matt4200 (Post 31858954)
Just to note some HP locations charge for parking. HP Houston Galleria for example charges $27 per day as the only parking option. A Globalist would get that parking for free. So if someone stayed exclusively at HP, more specifically at properties with parking charges like HP Houston Galleria saving $27 a day x 60 days pre-tax that is $1,620 and after tax roughly $1,750. So even in that scenario I would save it does matter much that’s a lot of savings. In this case I’m assuming since it’s a Category 1 Property you’d use the 5k points rather than pay the $100+ Average daily rate.

Just because a Glob stays at a HP doesn’t mean they’re not getting benefits. ;)

I do completely agree that Globs can exercise more benefits at properties that are not HP/HH though.

Note that the rule is that Globs get free parking (self or valet, both if both are offered) on any points stay or (Hyatt issued) free night stay at any Hyatt family brand, but we do not get free parking when we pay for the room with money.