Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Hyatt introduces Off-Peak, Standard and Peak awards (26 Oct 2021)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 29, 2021, 3:26 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: TravelinSperry
Redemption chart: https://world.hyatt.com/content/gp/e...n-updates.html

To view the award calendar for any Hyatt property, go to the Hyatt global map and search for, click on, or zoom in on the property or region of interest. In the alternative, start the booking process; once you've narrowed the selection to an individual property, you should see a link to the points calendar directly beneath the link to the hotel website. Note that calendars do not indicate (un)availability on any given date.
  • Hyatt appears to have updated its systems to display calendar links for nearly all properties. (Immediately after rollout, coverage was notably incomplete.) If for some reason the property you're interested in does not have a points calendar link, use a URL of the form https://www.hyatt.com/explore-hotels/rate-calendar?spiritCode=XYZZY, where XYZZY is the hotel's five-letter code. (Codes are shown in the URL for the Hyatt property listing; for example, the Tokyo Andaz is "tyoaz.") Once in the calendar, you can navigate to view additional months. h/t to Neric for flagging this shortcut.
Not all hotels and resorts offer redemption of suite awards; please contact the Hyatt Global Care Center or visit a hotel or resort's property page on hyatt.com for details on whether suite award accommodations are available at that hotel or resort. Properties that do not offer suite awards are referred to collectively in these Terms as the "Suite Award Ineligible Properties," and include, without limitation:
Park Hyatt Maldives Hadahaa
Park Hyatt Sydney
Park Hyatt Beaver Creek Resort and Spa
Andaz Tokyo Toranomon Hills
Hyatt Regency Kyoto
Hyatt City of Dreams Manila
Spirit Ridge at NK’MIP Resort (Canada)
Hyatt Paris Madeleine
Hôtel du Louvre
Hyatt Regency London Albert Embankment (DPs provided by concierges show this is a non-participating property a/o Nov 2023) DP here
Hyatt Key West Resort and Spa FL
Hyatt Centric South Beach Miami FL
Hyatt Regency Wichita
Hyatt Regency Suites Atlanta Northwest
Hyatt Rosemont (IL)
Hyatt Regency Lisle near Naperville
Chicago Athletic Association (IL)
Hotel Revival Baltimore Maryland
Hyatt Herald Square New York
The Grayson New York
Park South New York
Thompson Seattle
Thompson Hollywood (Los Angeles CA)
Hyatt Regency John Wayne Airport Newport Beach CA
Hotel Avatar Santa Clara, CA
Ventana Campground, Big Sur CA
Waterfront Hotel Oakland CA
The Laurel Inn San Francisco CA
Hotel Kabuki San Francisco CA
Alila Manggis
Studios at Alila Sminyak
Alila Villas Uluwatu
Alila Taihu Suzhou
Episode Hsinchu
Sunscape Sabor Cozumel
Dreams Aventuras
Dreams Royal Beach
Now Emerald Cancun
AluaSoul Alcudia Bay
AluaSoul Menorca
Alua Leo
AluaSun Far Menorca
AluaSun Mediterráneo
AluaSun Cala Antena
Alua Boccaccio
AluaSun Lago Park
AluaSun Doblemar
and ALL Caption by Hyatt, or Hyatt Place hotels or resorts or any Destination by Hyatt Residences property, except as otherwise expressly set forth in the
Destination by Hyatt Residence Award Terms.
Print Wikipost

Hyatt introduces Off-Peak, Standard and Peak awards (26 Oct 2021)

Search this Thread

Old Dec 6, 2019, 7:27 pm
Moderator: Mileage Run, InterContinental Hotels

Originally Posted by smilee
I think you should be worried.

If you look at Marriott as an example, most of the seasons when you want to be somewhere are PEAK. If you want to be in Florida during Huricane season - fine, that won't be PEAK. If you want to be in Seattle in January when it rains every day, that also won't be PEAK. But Florida in the winter, or Seattle in July/August will be PEAK.

As I said, look at the rates. A 20K hotel that charges $150 off season, will now be 17K. But the 20K hotel that charges $300-$400 in PEAK season, will be PEAK.
Speaking as someone who's completely flexible when and where I travel, there's zero chance that it'll be all terrible. There will always be values.

The way Marriott implemented Peak dates is much worse than what Hyatt is proposing. Any day of the year can be Peak, fluctuating with demand (so it's really the first step toward dynamic pricing). But Marriott wasn't happy with just introducing Peak dates, they had to screw their members further: (a) SPG 5th night free awards used to give the last night free (even if it was Peak), but Marriott now gives the lowest night for free (meaning that even if you have 1 night Low, 3 Standard, and 1 Peak, the Low night is free and you'll pay the Peak surcharge). (b) Free night certificates from credit cards no longer work for Peak dates.

But even with Marriott's more sinister implementation of Peak dates, there is value. For instance, I was just in Japan, during what arguably is a legitimate Peak season (fall colors). Some hotels inexplicably had Low rates. Also, these rates appear to be loaded by humans, so there are mistakes: Westin Tokyo had lots of Peak dates, but they had somehow managed to classify Saturday nights (by far the priciest in Japan, due to staycations) as Low.

Sure, this will sting a little bit for those who have to travel during certain times, but for those of us who have a lot of flexibility and play different programs, I don't think it'll be a big deal.
EuropeanPete and 59Impala like this.
Old Dec 7, 2019, 7:34 pm

Programs: Brand loyalty is for suckers
Basically an excuse to add Category 9 award pricing without being upfront about it. Huge devaluation.
Old Dec 7, 2019, 8:10 pm

Programs: Marriott LT Tit; Hyatt Explorist; Hilton CC Gold; IHG CC Plt; Hertz (MR) 5 star
Originally Posted by OhDoctor
Basically an excuse to add Category 9 award pricing without being upfront about it. Huge devaluation.
Yep. Posters will be more negative about this after it's implemented.
aCavalierInCoach likes this.
Old Dec 7, 2019, 11:13 pm
Moderator: Hyatt Gold Passport & Star Alliance
Original Poster

Programs: UA-1K 3MM/HY- LT Globalist/BA-GGL/GfL
Like lots of travel companies, the question is what it will look like in 2 years time, or 5 years. If Hyatt created a new category and moved properties there, I think people would be unhappy. If they do that by introducing peak awards and then slowly increasing the margin that peak requires over standard awards, will the same annoyance occur?

United has recently moved to a points based system away from certificates. It's all on a par now, but point inflation is easier for consumers to bear than taking away a certificate, when you only get 6.

I am sure there is a psychology at play here
lsquare and ZBigFam like this.
Old Dec 13, 2019, 12:46 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond
What do you think are the odds that on the same day this goes into effect properties do their annual Category Increase/Decrease?

In 2019 all Category changes were finalized on March 18th, which is fairly close to the expected date in 2020 for the Peak and Off-Peak changes.

Imagine you’re planning to stay at a Cat 2 Property for 7 nights over the summer. It changes to a Cat 3 with yearly changes and on top of that your trip is considered “Peak”.

Meaning rather than 56k points for your 7 night vacation, it’s now 105k points for that same 7 night vacation.

That’s a lot to take in all at once.
Old Dec 20, 2019, 6:49 pm

Interesting note -

I contacted my Globalist Concierge and Hyatt Concierge via Twitter asking the exact date these changes would go into effect. Both advised that all the information they’ve been given is that they’ll go into effect in March 2020, no exact date so it feels like it’ll be on the same date as the Category Changes.
Old Feb 5, 2020, 11:47 am

Programs: Bonvoy Gold, IHG Platinum, WoH Explorist
Bump.There is a few weeks before March, that you can redeem awards before peak/off-peak pricing is introduced at the start of next month (No exact dates).

Remember that if the price ends up going down, you will get refunded the difference. If the price goes up, Hyatt will honor the old rate unless you make changes to the reservation.
Old Feb 9, 2020, 2:11 am

So what’s the general feeling about this?

Are most dreading it or are you excited about it?

Personally, I’m dreading it because I like the program as is, even though I believe I’ll ultimately benefit from it.
Old Feb 10, 2020, 9:45 am

Programs: I want to be free! Free!
Originally Posted by Matt4200

Personally, I’m dreading it because I like the program as is, even though I believe I’ll ultimately benefit from it.
Dreading. As a Marriott refugee, I've seen this movie and it will result in a devaluation of point values -- just a question of how much. The existence of the off-peak awards will not, I am sure, come close to off-setting the increased awards at peak times for the vast majority of users.
Old Feb 10, 2020, 9:55 am

Originally Posted by aCavalierInCoach
Dreading. As a Marriott refugee, I've seen this movie and it will result in a devaluation of point values -- just a question of how much. The existence of the off-peak awards will not, I am sure, come close to off-setting the increased awards at peak times for the vast majority of users.
It won’t be as bad as Marriott or Hilton simply because Hyatt has to offer something over those two, in particular, in order to offset the footprint issue - and they know this.

For people who can use points mostly during off peak times (yay - me!) it will be a net positive... and similarly negative for those locked into peak times...

Depending on how the economy does, I would not be surprised to see revenue requirements (base points) in order to earn/maintain Globalist status come in the next year or two.
Markie likes this.
Old Feb 10, 2020, 11:21 am

Programs: United 1K, Marriott Lifetime Platinum; Hyatt Diamond/GLOB

As someone locked into vacation travel around kids' school schedules for the next 10+ years, I'm fully expecting to be negatively impacted.
Old Feb 10, 2020, 12:10 pm

Originally Posted by txhyattlvr

Depending on how the economy does, I would not be surprised to see revenue requirements (base points) in order to earn/maintain Globalist status come in the next year or two.
I think that's incredibly unlikely, unless the Pritzker family sells there controlling interest. The fact that they have control has allowed them to prioritize long term gains, as opposed to the short term gains many other loyalty programs have sought.
Old Feb 10, 2020, 12:13 pm
Suspended
Hyatt 10+ BadgeMarriott 10+ Badge

Have we had any answers about impact on reward nights? Cat 1-4 and Cat 1-7?
Sophoclefr likes this.
Old Feb 10, 2020, 12:30 pm

Originally Posted by RedSun
Have we had any answers about impact on reward nights? Cat 1-4 and Cat 1-7?
No impact it’s on Hyatt’s page. As long as a Standard Room is available.
Old Feb 10, 2020, 12:43 pm
Suspended
Hyatt 10+ BadgeMarriott 10+ Badge

No impact it’s on Hyatt’s page. As long as a Standard Room is available.
Thx. That is what concerns me.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.