Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Hyatt introduces Off-Peak, Standard and Peak awards (26 Oct 2021)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 29, 2021, 3:26 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: TravelinSperry
Redemption chart: https://world.hyatt.com/content/gp/e...n-updates.html

To view the award calendar for any Hyatt property, go to the Hyatt global map and search for, click on, or zoom in on the property or region of interest. In the alternative, start the booking process; once you've narrowed the selection to an individual property, you should see a link to the points calendar directly beneath the link to the hotel website. Note that calendars do not indicate (un)availability on any given date.
  • Hyatt appears to have updated its systems to display calendar links for nearly all properties. (Immediately after rollout, coverage was notably incomplete.) If for some reason the property you're interested in does not have a points calendar link, use a URL of the form https://www.hyatt.com/explore-hotels/rate-calendar?spiritCode=XYZZY, where XYZZY is the hotel's five-letter code. (Codes are shown in the URL for the Hyatt property listing; for example, the Tokyo Andaz is "tyoaz.") Once in the calendar, you can navigate to view additional months. h/t to Neric for flagging this shortcut.
Not all hotels and resorts offer redemption of suite awards; please contact the Hyatt Global Care Center or visit a hotel or resort's property page on hyatt.com for details on whether suite award accommodations are available at that hotel or resort. Properties that do not offer suite awards are referred to collectively in these Terms as the "Suite Award Ineligible Properties," and include, without limitation:
Park Hyatt Maldives Hadahaa
Park Hyatt Sydney
Park Hyatt Beaver Creek Resort and Spa
Andaz Tokyo Toranomon Hills
Hyatt Regency Kyoto
Hyatt City of Dreams Manila
Spirit Ridge at NK’MIP Resort (Canada)
Hyatt Paris Madeleine
Hôtel du Louvre
Hyatt Regency London Albert Embankment (DPs provided by concierges show this is a non-participating property a/o Nov 2023) DP here
Hyatt Key West Resort and Spa FL
Hyatt Centric South Beach Miami FL
Hyatt Regency Wichita
Hyatt Regency Suites Atlanta Northwest
Hyatt Rosemont (IL)
Hyatt Regency Lisle near Naperville
Chicago Athletic Association (IL)
Hotel Revival Baltimore Maryland
Hyatt Herald Square New York
The Grayson New York
Park South New York
Thompson Seattle
Thompson Hollywood (Los Angeles CA)
Hyatt Regency John Wayne Airport Newport Beach CA
Hotel Avatar Santa Clara, CA
Ventana Campground, Big Sur CA
Waterfront Hotel Oakland CA
The Laurel Inn San Francisco CA
Hotel Kabuki San Francisco CA
Alila Manggis
Studios at Alila Sminyak
Alila Villas Uluwatu
Alila Taihu Suzhou
Episode Hsinchu
Sunscape Sabor Cozumel
Dreams Aventuras
Dreams Royal Beach
Now Emerald Cancun
AluaSoul Alcudia Bay
AluaSoul Menorca
Alua Leo
AluaSun Far Menorca
AluaSun Mediterráneo
AluaSun Cala Antena
Alua Boccaccio
AluaSun Lago Park
AluaSun Doblemar
and ALL Caption by Hyatt, or Hyatt Place hotels or resorts or any Destination by Hyatt Residences property, except as otherwise expressly set forth in the
Destination by Hyatt Residence Award Terms.
Print Wikipost

Hyatt introduces Off-Peak, Standard and Peak awards (26 Oct 2021)

Search this Thread

Old Dec 5, 2019, 4:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: WN CP, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by josephstern
Not sure which blog I saw it one, but one suggested that off-peak/standard/peak dates were to be set by geographical region and not by individual property. So if Chicagoland is off-peak, it'll be off-peak at every property.

Unfortunately, I can't find the reference for this info at the moment.
Well, it would depend on the size/shape of the region. Presumably that has not been released.
Old Dec 5, 2019, 7:38 am

Programs: AAdvantage ExecPlat, World of Hyatt Globalist, plain "member" of Marriott, IHG, enterprise, etc.
Originally Posted by HoustonConsultant
Until I was 45, I was kid-less, and we traveled when other people's kids were in school. For five years with kids, we traveled when other people's kids were in school.

Now, we travel when everyone else travels, and that is going to be peak Hyatt times for warm-weather beach vacations regardless of the time of year.
Having kids on the school calendar is the worse. Airfare spikes, hotels rates spike, TSUs are hard to use, etc. The cost of traveling the week before ~Jan 5th (or whenever the weekend post newyears is) is very often double (or more) vs travelling the week after Jan 5th, for example, and traveling in mid-late May costs half as much as traveling in the first couple of weeks of June. When I am 47, my kid will be off to college and I am so looking forward to travelling again in these time frames. But, I'm not certain that peak/nonpeak calendars will split these differences quite as closely as cash rates do (and airline/car rental rates etc).
Old Dec 5, 2019, 7:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
Originally Posted by toomanybooks
Well, it would depend on the size/shape of the region. Presumably that has not been released.
they are probably still looking for a gerrymandering expert to draw the maps
lsquare and OsakaWino like this.
Old Dec 5, 2019, 7:52 am

the upside is for those hotels that maintain high rates even during low occupancy, like PH NYC and Paris.

other hotels, like Hyatt Carmel, have base rates from $100 to $1000 based upon season & day of week. no benefit here with offpeak at 25K as cash is more prudent.
Old Dec 5, 2019, 8:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL, OZ, AC, AS, AA, BA, Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott, IHG
Originally Posted by notquiteaff
they are probably still looking for a gerrymandering expert to draw the maps
lol! Do we really need to inject domestic politics into this thread?
Old Dec 5, 2019, 9:10 am

Originally Posted by synzero
The word is it will not be hands off at all. Hyatt corporate will decide peak vs off-peak for entire regions, hotels won’t get to set this themselves.
This was implied but then kinda contradicted from different reports that I read. One thing I believe is clear, however, is that Hyatt corp is the only party to benefit from these designations, not the properties themselves. Because their award reimbursements are set based on occupancy levels, they actually benefit far more from having awards used at higher occupancy levels than low (obviously cash paying customers is best). The addition of peak and off-peak just allows Hyatt corp to incentivize members to use our points at lower occupancy periods where the cost to Hyatt is lowest by a large margin, and minimize usage at high occupancy where the cost is highest. The hotel wont get any more money from a peak redemption vs a standard or off-peak (besides the occupancy differences of course, but that isn't causation)
Stewie Mac and lsquare like this.
Old Dec 5, 2019, 11:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by josephstern
A lot of us have been through changes like this before and they basically never work out well for the consumer overall, and usually the potential bright spots dim pretty quickly after execution.
I ve seen changes in all sorts of airline hotel and car programs over last 15 years - the only one that held value (inflation adjusted) has been hyatt - probably the only one that deserves to be called loyalty program these days.
UA-NYC and lsquare like this.
Old Dec 5, 2019, 12:55 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, M&M Senator
Originally Posted by azepine00
Probably a deval to some extent but i'll give hyatt benefit of the doubt - they've been maintaining program integrity fairly well both from point value and loyalty recognition (especially relative to marriott hilton etc)...
Agree. The last time properties going up outnumbered properties going down was when Category 7 was created for the seven Park Hyatts. Every year since then Hyatt has always exactly balanced ups and downs so that the program has been net neutral. Like azepine00, I'll also give Hyatt the benefit of the doubt that they will do this more or less fairly based on past treatment of category adjustments.
Old Dec 6, 2019, 7:02 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, AA Gold LT
Originally Posted by jpdx
Agree with this sentiment. I'm guessing mild devaluation for people who are limited to travel during peak times only, but likely a boon to those of us who are flexible. It'll be great to have a calendar function!
I think you should be worried.

If you look at Marriott as an example, most of the seasons when you want to be somewhere are PEAK. If you want to be in Florida during Huricane season - fine, that won't be PEAK. If you want to be in Seattle in January when it rains every day, that also won't be PEAK. But Florida in the winter, or Seattle in July/August will be PEAK.

As I said, look at the rates. A 20K hotel that charges $150 off season, will now be 17K. But the 20K hotel that charges $300-$400 in PEAK season, will be PEAK.
notquiteaff and lsquare like this.
Old Dec 6, 2019, 7:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL, OZ, AC, AS, AA, BA, Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott, IHG
Originally Posted by smilee

If you look at Marriott as an example, most of the seasons when you want to be somewhere are PEAK. If you want to be in Florida during Huricane season - fine, that won't be PEAK. If you want to be in Seattle in January when it rains every day, that also won't be PEAK. But Florida in the winter, or Seattle in July/August will be PEAK.

As I said, look at the rates. A 20K hotel that charges $150 off season, will now be 17K. But the 20K hotel that charges $300-$400 in PEAK season, will be PEAK.
Yes and that was what I was trying to say earlier. If shoulder season isn't bleak, I guess I can live with it. Btw, I definitely don't want to be in Seattle in January...
Old Dec 6, 2019, 9:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by smilee

If you look at Marriott as an example, ..
I do worry (and do anticipate some losses) however my take is that hyatt is not marriott, united, hertz, hilton etc and their approach has been historically customer friendly. There arent too many brands i trust - hyatt is one of them... ymmv of course
UA-NYC likes this.
Old Dec 6, 2019, 10:02 am

Originally Posted by azepine00
I do worry (and do anticipate some losses) however my take is that hyatt is not marriott, united, hertz, hilton etc and their approach has been historically customer friendly. There arent too many brands i trust - hyatt is one of them... ymmv of course
Jokes aside, I do take some comfort that those who have been with Hyatt for 15+ plus years have some confidence in the integrity of the currency, at least relative to others. While I've only been with Hyatt rewards only 4 or 5 years, during that time I've seen a little devaluation, but certainly nothing like I've experienced with SPG --> Marriott and whatever Hilton is up to.
Old Dec 6, 2019, 10:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Visconti
Jokes aside, I do take some comfort that those who have been with Hyatt for 15+ plus years have some confidence in the integrity of the currency, at least relative to others. While I've only been with Hyatt rewards only 4 or 5 years, during that time I've seen a little devaluation, but certainly nothing like I've experienced with SPG --> Marriott and whatever Hilton is up to.
Not just devaluation with Marriott - a lot of widespread distrust at the moment over there.

My first year with Hyatt (90 total nights) and it has been as good as I have long heard about.
Old Dec 6, 2019, 11:46 am

Programs: I want to be free! Free!
Originally Posted by UA-NYC
a lot of widespread distrust at the moment over there.
Good call out... this became my biggest issue with spending any more time bothering - total lack of trust in Marriott's intentions for the program and even simply their willingness to stand behind the as-advertised benefits. Hopefully doesn't spread.
Old Dec 6, 2019, 5:35 pm
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, AA Gold LT
Marriott's distrusting reputation has me worried. I do not have a solid understanding in today's business tactics such as United, American, Hilton and Marriott, but in this move with Hyatt following Marriott's lead, I am worried.

As a nearly 20 year Diamond/Globalist, I have been through many changes some good, but more bad- such as no more cash and fixed points, diamond amenity, and the need for 60 nights. Recently OMAAT talked about increased screening for Regency Club access, and my experience with Hyatt wanting to charge me for RC access for my kids. Don't forget that Hyatt's introduction of WOH and was with only a few months notice a couple of years ago. Now an increase in award prices probably about 30% for when I want to use them.

Hyatt has been very customer friendly, I just hope the new way of doing business and rewarding customers is the old Hyatt way.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.