FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Hyatt | World of Hyatt (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hyatt-world-hyatt-418/)
-   -   Hyatt introduces Off-Peak, Standard and Peak awards (26 Oct 2021) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hyatt-world-hyatt/1998211-hyatt-introduces-off-peak-standard-peak-awards-26-oct-2021-a.html)

Matt4200 Dec 4, 2019 9:09 pm

Originally Posted by jpdx (Post 31806567)
. It'll be great to have a calendar function!

I wonder how that’ll work out.

spgplat21 Dec 4, 2019 9:27 pm

Originally Posted by Colin (Post 31805362)
could lead to some category adjustments downward.

for instance, HR Lake Tahoe was bumped to Cat6 25K/n because of ~$500/n rates only during summer while rates are $150/n during spring & fall.

new Cat5 17K/n offpeak feels proper during low season with Cat 23K/n for summer.

In theory, this would make complete sense, but in practice I see very little chance of this happening.

josephstern Dec 4, 2019 9:48 pm

Originally Posted by toomanybooks (Post 31805813)
There are a bunch of Chicagoland cat 1s. Away from ORD, I could see that as off-peak. Maybe not. Guess we have to wait.

Thinking for example of the Hyatt Lisle (IL). In a business area, so it's full during the week and empty on the weekend unless they have a wedding or event.

Not sure which blog I saw it one, but one suggested that off-peak/standard/peak dates were to be set by geographical region and not by individual property. So if Chicagoland is off-peak, it'll be off-peak at every property.

Unfortunately, I can't find the reference for this info at the moment.

notquiteaff Dec 4, 2019 9:56 pm

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist (Post 31804424)
OT, but does anyone know what happened to Jeff Zidell and what he's doing now?

I was wondering the same recently when I came across his Introducing WoH post here. Two new jobs, actually.

RoomItby CWT: http://news.mycwt.com/pressreleases/...tments-2937995

... and adjunct professor

https://business.wvu.edu/news-and-ev...tality-program

Ahhh, the good old days... now back to your regularly scheduled deval programming.

59Impala Dec 4, 2019 10:12 pm

I am surprised that most people in this thread see the negative part and continuously consider this a devaluation. There is also a positive aspect!

From what I can say right now... I will most probably benefit from these changes as my wife and I tend to travel off season anyway avoiding all the crowds.

So let me start a call this change a major elevation or improvment of WoH.

josephstern Dec 4, 2019 10:16 pm

Originally Posted by 59Impala (Post 31806738)
I am surprised that most people in this thread see the negative part and continuously consider this a devaluation. There is also a positive aspect!

From what I can say right now... I will most probably benefit from these changes as my wife and I tend to travel off season anyway avoiding all the crowds.

A lot of us have been through changes like this before and they basically never work out well for the consumer overall, and usually the potential bright spots dim pretty quickly after execution.

projectmaximus Dec 4, 2019 10:20 pm

Originally Posted by bbriscoe34 (Post 31805755)
I'd guess the Hyatt Regency Tulsa. Unless they decide to go standard year round. There isn't really a peak season for Tulsa.

Maybe the HP Jacksonville Airport also?

Matt4200 Dec 4, 2019 11:12 pm

Originally Posted by lsquare (Post 31805426)
Can you think of any locations that would be 3500 near the end of the year?

Cat 1’s in Chicago.

Cat 1’s in Dallas and Houston

Dgosche Dec 4, 2019 11:18 pm

Originally Posted by 59Impala (Post 31806738)

I agree. I always schedule vacation for off-peak times anyway. I do my best to avoid tourists and kids. This could work out well for those of us that can be a little more flexible with dates. I'm looking forward to some long weekends in European PHs for 25k.

Matt4200 Dec 5, 2019 12:24 am

Originally Posted by Dgosche (Post 31806878)
I agree. I always schedule vacation for off-peak times anyway. I do my best to avoid tourists and kids. This could work out well for those of us that can be a little more flexible with dates. I'm looking forward to some long weekends in European PHs for 25k.

I believe it’s more of a deval than it is beneficial.

I feel like there will be many less “off peak” dates than there are “peak” dates for most properties in the Hyatt Portfolio. Now if they said they must designate equal numbers of “peak” and “off peak” dates that would be fair and definitely a good thing.

mnredfox Dec 5, 2019 1:16 am

Time will tell, but typically these types of changes to peak vs non peak in all the years I've traveled it only got worse.

I wonder if suite UG certs will be harder now to use...

lsquare Dec 5, 2019 1:53 am

Originally Posted by Matt4200 (Post 31807043)
I believe it’s more of a deval than it is beneficial.

I feel like there will be many less “off peak” dates than there are “peak” dates for most properties in the Hyatt Portfolio. Now if they said they must designate equal numbers of “peak” and “off peak” dates that would be fair and definitely a good thing.

I agree with you. From what I gather, Hyatt will have a hands off approach to regulating this. If true, hotels will probably abuse this. After all, everyone wants to maximize their profits and minimize costs right?

synzero Dec 5, 2019 1:58 am

Originally Posted by lsquare (Post 31807237)
I agree with you. From what I gather, Hyatt will have a hands off approach to regulating this. If true, hotels will probably abuse this. After all, everyone wants to maximize their profits and minimize costs right?

The word is it will not be hands off at all. Hyatt corporate will decide peak vs off-peak for entire regions, hotels won’t get to set this themselves.

lsquare Dec 5, 2019 2:07 am

Originally Posted by synzero (Post 31807246)
The word is it will not be hands off at all. Hyatt corporate will decide peak vs off-peak for entire regions, hotels won’t get to set this themselves.

Maybe I misread it then. If what you say is true, then that would be great.

GUWonder Dec 5, 2019 2:27 am

Originally Posted by lsquare (Post 31807260)
Maybe I misread it then. If what you say is true, then that would be great.

I doubt that it would be great for anyone but Hyatt itself. Hyatt has way more interest in capping its redemption-related expenses than the properties (which are hosting guests on points stays) do in capping Hyatt’s redemption-related expenses, and this means Hyatt will be doing itself a favor at the expense of its loyalty program customers and at the expense of most of its affiliated properties.