Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Hyatt introduces Off-Peak, Standard and Peak awards (March 2020)

Hyatt introduces Off-Peak, Standard and Peak awards (March 2020)

Old Dec 4, 19, 12:32 pm
skj

Programs: UA 2MM, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by ZBigFam View Post
Skj it's due to this comment from lowvalue customer...saying there is no minimum and maximum
That's a mostly-true statement, but it doesn't contradict the statement that a majority of the days have to be at the standard rate. There is an effective maximum of a majority minus one day for peak or off-peak rooms, but that gets complicated to say in what is essentially a press release.

This would probably be clearer if you look at the entire set of relevant bullets from OMAAT ...
  • Free night redemption rates will be identified as peak, standard, or off-peak as soon as nights are available for reservations (about 13 months in advance), and they won’t change once posted (unlike Marriott, where it’s dynamic)
  • The decision for peak and off-peak pricing is based on the geographic market, meaning that all properties within the same market will adhere to the same calendar
  • There is no minimum or maximum number of nights that a property can designate as peak or off-peak
  • The majority of days will be set to standard redemption rates each year
  • Hyatt will be introducing a calendar where members can look at award rates over a longer period of time
Old Dec 4, 19, 12:45 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
I can easily think of cases where Peak should be property-specific, such as Fashion Week at the PHV Paris or NYE at the PH Sydney. In fact, more generally NYE pricing should reasonably be higher for properties and even room categories with good views of the fireworks.
Markie and lsquare like this.
Old Dec 4, 19, 1:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: WN CP, Hilton Diamond
Might make mattress running for those last few nights for status near year-end only cost 3500 vs. 5000. Nice.
Old Dec 4, 19, 2:44 pm

could lead to some category adjustments downward.

for instance, HR Lake Tahoe was bumped to Cat6 25K/n because of ~$500/n rates only during summer while rates are $150/n during spring & fall.

new Cat5 17K/n offpeak feels proper during low season with Cat 23K/n for summer.
Old Dec 4, 19, 2:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: HH Diamond, Marriott Platinum, IHG Gold, Hyatt something
If they were being fair, the number of peak and off peak nights would be the same.
Old Dec 4, 19, 3:03 pm

Programs: DL, OZ, AC, AS, AA, BA, Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott, IHG
Originally Posted by toomanybooks View Post
Might make mattress running for those last few nights for status near year-end only cost 3500 vs. 5000. Nice.
Can you think of any locations that would be 3500 near the end of the year?
Old Dec 4, 19, 3:03 pm
formerly a193991
Hyatt 5+ BadgeHilton Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt LGLO
Originally Posted by skj View Post
If I understand correctly, a property has to have standard nights at least 50% of the time. The other 50% can presumably be at peak, as I saw no requirement that off-peak rates be made available.
where do you get this from? I read through the WoH website on this new scheme but cannot find anything. Can you point me to the right place?
thanks!
Old Dec 4, 19, 3:06 pm

Programs: DL, OZ, AC, AS, AA, BA, Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott, IHG
Originally Posted by LowValueCustomer View Post
And OMAAT also confirmed (immediately below the "no maximum number of peak days" language) that:
So it appears that there is technically a maximum of peak days, but it is 50% of the year.
That's pretty disappointing. I saw the news today and I guess that this is inevitable. Points are going to be worth less and less.
Old Dec 4, 19, 3:07 pm

Originally Posted by skj View Post
That's a mostly-true statement, but it doesn't contradict the statement that a majority of the days have to be at the standard rate. There is an effective maximum of a majority minus one day for peak or off-peak rooms, but that gets complicated to say in what is essentially a press release.

This would probably be clearer if you look at the entire set of relevant bullets from OMAAT ...
  • Free night redemption rates will be identified as peak, standard, or off-peak as soon as nights are available for reservations (about 13 months in advance), and they won’t change once posted (unlike Marriott, where it’s dynamic)
  • The decision for peak and off-peak pricing is based on the geographic market, meaning that all properties within the same market will adhere to the same calendar
  • There is no minimum or maximum number of nights that a property can designate as peak or off-peak
  • Hyatt will be introducing a calendar where members can look at award rates over a longer period of time
Fine so for half the year andaz Maui will be at peak and the rest it will be at standard = higher category

Willing to bet that will be the case
Old Dec 4, 19, 3:08 pm

Originally Posted by lsquare View Post
Can you think of any locations that would be 3500 near the end of the year?
Anywhere in the US midwest
Old Dec 4, 19, 3:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA/AA/AS/B6/WN/ UA/HH/MR and more like 'em but most felicitously & importantly MUCCI
Originally Posted by Kacee View Post
Dynamic pricing is never good from an overall program value perspective.
Originally Posted by lsquare View Post
Points are going to be worth less and less.
Of course points are going to be worth less over time - inflationary pressure is a natural feature of any currency. It's when you have no idea what they're worth until a redemption attempt, which is the key feature of dynamic pricing, that I lose interest. I'm not making an effort to collect points with opaque value.
Old Dec 4, 19, 3:47 pm
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, AA Gold LT
The way I see it, this will be about 20% devaluation as the price difference between peak and off peak. OMAAT values Hyatt points at 1.5 so to me the new Hyatt point (less the 20% increase for peak) makes it about 1.3.

I doubt I will see any saver dates that will be of value. Looking at my stays in Seattle. Currently 20K per night which in July when rates are $350, it’s a points stay. In January when rates are $150, I won’t use 20K points or even 17k “off peak” rates.

I am pretty sure that I will pay cash during off season, and points +20% when I typically use points now.

Not happy.
notquiteaff likes this.
Old Dec 4, 19, 3:47 pm
skj

Originally Posted by ZBigFam View Post
Fine so for half the year andaz Maui will be at peak and the rest it will be at standard = higher category

Willing to bet that will be the case
That's what I said in my first reply to you ...
Old Dec 4, 19, 3:49 pm
skj

Originally Posted by 59Impala View Post
where do you get this from? I read through the WoH website on this new scheme but cannot find anything. Can you point me to the right place?
thanks!
It's in the FAQs on this page https://world.hyatt.com/content/gp/e...ml#free-nights, the link is just below the Miraval Resorts table

Last edited by skj; Dec 4, 19 at 4:47 pm
Old Dec 4, 19, 4:00 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond
Definitely a devaluation overall, especially for desirable properties in California, Hawaii, and New York.

(PHNY, GH Manchester, Andaz Maui, Ventana Big Sur, Pretty much everywhere in SF etc.)

I have a Stay for example at a Cat 5 Andaz in April, currently the cash rate is $980 and there is still award availability at 20k per night. There’s no doubt this would be considered “peak” under the new program implementation meaning 25k nightly. Which for a multi night stay really does add up.

The only thing I like is that this in no way impacts Category Certificates because weather peak or off peak the hotel is still within the same category. I wish they’d test the off peak market for a year before adding the peak market in to see how it works for them, a guy can dream right?

I know this will be beneficial for Chicago Properties which from December through March have really low cash rates, but still are Category 3-6 properties. I’ve seen Thompson Chicago at $90, even though it’s a Category 4. With the new system I’m guessing it would be a 10k redemption during those periods?

(1,500 less per category up to 5,000 total) That’s my understanding.

I’m wondering also how they’ll determine “peak or off peak”, will that be tied to the cash rate? I know it’s not dynamic like Hilton where it changes in live time and there’s a set calendar than cannot be changed (it says).

For example - I’ve stayed at HH in Texas where it’s a Cat 1 but the Cash Rate is $118. Personally I would consider this “standard” so hopefully no change.

One last thing - Will all properties have Peak, Off Peak and Standard? Or will some just be Standard for the entire year (those with fair occupancy, but not booming and not low occupancy).

Search this Thread
Search Engine: