FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Hyatt | World of Hyatt (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hyatt-world-hyatt-418/)
-   -   Hyatt introduces Off-Peak, Standard and Peak awards (26 Oct 2021) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hyatt-world-hyatt/1998211-hyatt-introduces-off-peak-standard-peak-awards-26-oct-2021-a.html)

Mary2e Dec 4, 2019 10:09 am

I've changed my mind. If there is no minimum number of nights for off-peak, then it very well may impact me.

Somewhere like Hawaii would be standard or peak nearly all the time.

ZBigFam Dec 4, 2019 10:09 am

Originally Posted by toomanybooks (Post 31804413)
This will be interesting to watch. A 3500 redemption when they are giving back 1000 per stay, and/or for Globalists who get 10K extra at 70, 80, 90, 100 will make for a pretty cheap stay.

Agree but I doubt it will roll back that way much...I could be very jaded though, just nightmares from hhonors

ZBigFam Dec 4, 2019 10:10 am

Originally Posted by Mary2e (Post 31804426)
I've changed my mind. If there is no minimum number of nights for off-peak, then it very well may impact me.

Somewhere like Hawaii would be standard or peak nearly all the time.

Yup that's what I meant, andaz Maui will now be peak all the time

MSPeconomist Dec 4, 2019 10:13 am

Do hotels get paid more for award stays at Peak and less for Off-Peak? Or are the rates WOH pays for our award stays unchanged, and presumably pretty minimal except when the hotel is fairly full? [I know this is how SPG did it and I always assumed that Hyatt has a similar policy. It incentivizes hotels to make rooms available for awards and not to fell unhappy about potentially losing a lot of revenue when we redeem free nights.]

Kacee Dec 4, 2019 10:39 am

Dynamic pricing is never good from an overall program value perspective. That said, Marriott's implementation of peak pricing has (thus far) not been as bad as feared. I've been able to score quite a few off peak redemptions at desirable properties.

Just hope this doesn't kill the values in Tokyo.

Originally Posted by UA-NYC (Post 31804382)
see OMAAT. Hyatt confirmed they will be good for Peak dates still. Unlike Marriott screwing folks with the 35k cap.

Hope that's true. Would be a major positive compared to Marriott.

GUWonder Dec 4, 2019 10:44 am

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist (Post 31804448)
Do hotels get paid more for award stays at Peak and less for Off-Peak? Or are the rates WOH pays for our award stays unchanged, and presumably pretty minimal except when the hotel is fairly full? [I know this is how SPG did it and I always assumed that Hyatt has a similar policy. It incentivizes hotels to make rooms available for awards and not to fell unhappy about potentially losing a lot of revenue when we redeem free nights.]

Hyatt’s payment structure to contracted hotels is the same whether Hyatt charges 8k points for the hotel or 15k points for the hotel. When the hotels are very full, the hotel gets a lot more money for the award night than when the hotel is empty. But there is a floor to the amounts that hotels get paid (by Hyatt) for any given award night.

sch_flyer Dec 4, 2019 10:48 am

Originally Posted by ZBigFam (Post 31804436)

According to Gary Leff:
"It’s Hyatt that determines which dates are peak, not individual hotels making the decision."

Not all hope is lost, but still, a whammy of a devaluation...

cvseuy Dec 4, 2019 10:54 am

One small benefit to come out of this is having an actual calendar to find award availability. It would be useful for some properties that play games with availability, and just planning out stays in general I hope this will also allow us to see cash prices on a calendar as well.

MarkOK Dec 4, 2019 10:58 am

Though I bet I will end up with some off peak cat 1 savings, this is no doubt a devaluation. Points are their most valuable when hotel rates are relatively high for the category. Assuming peak will correspond to times when prices are high, this change will 'level' out redemption values.

As currently stated -- the change is not that big of a deal to me. I am more worried about the can of worms this opens -- It's a very slippery slope to go from multiple categorizations to just making the program a flat $/pt redemption program.

skj Dec 4, 2019 11:08 am

Originally Posted by ZBigFam (Post 31804436)

ZBig, why do you keep repeating this ? It is not true. According to the information available today, a majority of days must be at the standard rate.

ZBigFam Dec 4, 2019 11:14 am

Originally Posted by LowValueCustomer (Post 31804401)
Yikes, also this little nugget in there:
  • There is no minimum or maximum number of nights that a property can designate as peak or off-peak

Skj it's due to this comment from lowvalue customer...saying there is no minimum and maximum

projectmaximus Dec 4, 2019 11:15 am

Originally Posted by cvseuy (Post 31804653)
One small benefit to come out of this is having an actual calendar to find award availability. It would be useful for some properties that play games with availability, and just planning out stays in general I hope this will also allow us to see cash prices on a calendar as well.

Ha I was just asking about this. Would love to see calendar views!

Originally Posted by MarkOK (Post 31804669)
Though I bet I will end up with some off peak cat 1 savings, this is no doubt a devaluation. Points are their most valuable when hotel rates are relatively high for the category. Assuming peak will correspond to times when prices are high, this change will 'level' out redemption values.

As currently stated -- the change is not that big of a deal to me. I am more worried about the can of worms this opens -- It's a very slippery slope to go from multiple categorizations to just making the program a flat $/pt redemption program.

Yeah for someone as flexible as I am the dynamic concept isn't too devastating. Ultimately it all depends on how they choose to implement this. I honestly cannot imagine it being a net positive for us, but at least in the early going, it probably wont be too bad. Just opens the door for gradual sustained devaluation. Seems most airlines are going this route now as well.

redbirdsj Dec 4, 2019 11:22 am

On the plus side, they also adjusted the redemption rates of Hyatt points for room charges and they could actually make sense now at the $500+ levels.

LowValueCustomer Dec 4, 2019 11:29 am

Originally Posted by ZBigFam (Post 31804726)
Skj it's due to this comment from lowvalue customer...saying there is no minimum and maximum

This is via OMAAT. Also, as someone else mentioned, Gary Leff said that the peak/off peak dates will be determined by Corporate.

LowValueCustomer Dec 4, 2019 11:31 am

And OMAAT also confirmed (immediately below the "no maximum number of peak days" language) that:
  • The majority of days will be set to standard redemption rates each year
So it appears that there is technically a maximum of peak days, but it is 50% of the year.