Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Hyatt introduces Off-Peak, Standard and Peak awards (26 Oct 2021)

Old Apr 29, 2021, 3:26 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: TravelinSperry
Redemption chart: https://world.hyatt.com/content/gp/e...n-updates.html

To view the award calendar for any Hyatt property, go to the Hyatt global map and search for, click on, or zoom in on the property or region of interest. In the alternative, start the booking process; once you've narrowed the selection to an individual property, you should see a link to the points calendar directly beneath the link to the hotel website. Note that calendars do not indicate (un)availability on any given date.
  • Hyatt appears to have updated its systems to display calendar links for nearly all properties. (Immediately after rollout, coverage was notably incomplete.) If for some reason the property you're interested in does not have a points calendar link, use a URL of the form https://www.hyatt.com/explore-hotels/rate-calendar?spiritCode=XYZZY, where XYZZY is the hotel's five-letter code. (Codes are shown in the URL for the Hyatt property listing; for example, the Tokyo Andaz is "tyoaz.") Once in the calendar, you can navigate to view additional months. h/t to Neric for flagging this shortcut.
Not all hotels and resorts offer redemption of suite awards; please contact the Hyatt Global Care Center or visit a hotel or resort's property page on hyatt.com for details on whether suite award accommodations are available at that hotel or resort. Properties that do not offer suite awards are referred to collectively in these Terms as the "Suite Award Ineligible Properties," and include, without limitation:
Park Hyatt Maldives Hadahaa
Park Hyatt Sydney
Park Hyatt Beaver Creek Resort and Spa
Andaz Tokyo Toranomon Hills
Hyatt Regency Kyoto
Hyatt City of Dreams Manila
Spirit Ridge at NK’MIP Resort (Canada)
Hyatt Paris Madeleine
Hôtel du Louvre
Hyatt Regency London Albert Embankment (DPs provided by concierges show this is a non-participating property a/o Nov 2023) DP here
Hyatt Key West Resort and Spa FL
Hyatt Centric South Beach Miami FL
Hyatt Regency Wichita
Hyatt Regency Suites Atlanta Northwest
Hyatt Rosemont (IL)
Hyatt Regency Lisle near Naperville
Chicago Athletic Association (IL)
Hotel Revival Baltimore Maryland
Hyatt Herald Square New York
The Grayson New York
Park South New York
Thompson Seattle
Thompson Hollywood (Los Angeles CA)
Hyatt Regency John Wayne Airport Newport Beach CA
Hotel Avatar Santa Clara, CA
Ventana Campground, Big Sur CA
Waterfront Hotel Oakland CA
The Laurel Inn San Francisco CA
Hotel Kabuki San Francisco CA
Alila Manggis
Studios at Alila Sminyak
Alila Villas Uluwatu
Alila Taihu Suzhou
Episode Hsinchu
Sunscape Sabor Cozumel
Dreams Aventuras
Dreams Royal Beach
Now Emerald Cancun
AluaSoul Alcudia Bay
AluaSoul Menorca
Alua Leo
AluaSun Far Menorca
AluaSun Mediterráneo
AluaSun Cala Antena
Alua Boccaccio
AluaSun Lago Park
AluaSun Doblemar
and ALL Caption by Hyatt, or Hyatt Place hotels or resorts or any Destination by Hyatt Residences property, except as otherwise expressly set forth in the
Destination by Hyatt Residence Award Terms.
Print Wikipost

Hyatt introduces Off-Peak, Standard and Peak awards (26 Oct 2021)

Old Oct 9, 2021, 12:38 am

Programs: Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Gold, UA
Originally Posted by Matt4200
For example -
Property changes Cat 4 to Cat 5 (no longer Cat 1-4 Certificate eligible) and there tends to be high levels of travel in March and April due to vacations and spring breaks.
So it goes from either using a FNC or 15k points to costing 23k points just in that example which is more than a 50% cost increase within that one month period and no more Cat 1-4 FNC can be used.
That's a pretty harsh example, but we all knew that overall this move to Peak/Off-peak would be a devaluation. For people who can pick and chose the dates of their stays their might be a few pleasant surprises, but those who like to save their points for summer family vacations are not likely to be too happy. Still, as you and others have posted, it is still better than full dynamic award pricing.
Old Oct 9, 2021, 1:05 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by OsakaWino
That's a pretty harsh example, but we all knew that overall this move to Peak/Off-peak would be a devaluation. For people who can pick and chose the dates of their stays their might be a few pleasant surprises, but those who like to save their points for summer family vacations are not likely to be too happy. Still, as you and others have posted, it is still better than full dynamic award pricing.
It’s harsh but a very real example that’s happened in many programs over and over again, just something to be prepared for when it comes.

Hyatt chose March which is typically a Peak Month, vs. February or January which is typically off peak (aside from very few ski destinations). March is also historically when they’ve done category changes as well which is why I’m shocked they would roll out both in one month, even with time to prepare.
Old Oct 9, 2021, 2:01 am
formerly a193991
Hyatt 5+ BadgeHilton Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt LT Globalist; LX SEN (*A Gold), AA LTG
Interesting, how much people can discuss this topic. Starting October, you will see peak/off peak rates for stays after March 1.

so, again, if you have plans, then simply BOOK NOW, and you will get refunded, but not charged more. If you do not have plans, then it doesn‘t matter when the effective date is.

if you plan a week in March 2022, why wait until end of Oktober to book and risk paying more points?
if you don‘t plan that much in advance, the effective date is irrelevant anyhow.
I don‘t get the issue…
cfabar1 likes this.

Last edited by 59Impala; Oct 9, 2021 at 4:40 am
Old Oct 9, 2021, 6:19 am
skj

Programs: UA 2MM, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by projectmaximus
This has been described in many press releases already (I thought also in this thread but maybe not).

Just as nsx stated, peak/off-peak will be introduced this month (Oct 26) but will only affect stays beginning on Mar 1st. In essence, once peak points pricing begins, everything prior to Mar 1st would be "standard" pricing.
Yup ... Here's what I posted in this thread about 45 days ago ...

Originally Posted by skj
From the Account Summary email I received today ...

"Starting mid-October, you will see Off-peak and Peak award redemption for nights in March and beyond. So, lock down your bookings now and see what your points can unlock on your next adventure.​"
projectmaximus and 59Impala like this.
Old Oct 11, 2021, 4:26 pm

Originally Posted by skj
Yup ... Here's what I posted in this thread about 45 days ago ...
I was able to confirm the 10/26 date with hyatt but it looks like a flyertalk evangelist beat me to it.
Old Oct 12, 2021, 5:54 pm

Any additional confirmation of the supposed 10/26 variable pricing rollout date?
strickerj likes this.
Old Oct 12, 2021, 7:20 pm

Originally Posted by mster
Any additional confirmation of the supposed 10/26 variable pricing rollout date?
I was able to confirm 10/26 via social media yesterday
Old Oct 12, 2021, 9:11 pm

Programs: AA Exec Plat, WN CP, Hilton GoId, IHG Spire, Hyatt Globalist, Citi, Barclay, Chase, Amex, CapOne
MHC confirmed 10/26 as the planned rollout date two days ago.
Old Oct 14, 2021, 10:08 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
I wouldn’t be surprised if this new redemption scheme from Hyatt is aiming to reduce Hyatt’s cost per point redeemed by about 10-20% over even 2020.

And then going forward this same multi-pricing scheme within each hotel category will be used to drive even further devaluation of the points in customer accounts as and when hotel occupancy levels return to pre-pandemic levels.

My expectation is that by some point in 2023, on average this Hyatt change will amount to c. 30% reduction from the 2019 value that a Hyatt program member gets out of a point redeemed.

This new Hyatt redemption scheme is a sign to me that Hyatt points are no longer going to be the kind of good long term store of value that they had been. Between the coming devaluation(s) from this new redemption scheme and my loss of confidence in Hyatt points being a good long term store of value, my approach to Hyatt will be like my approach to Delta. What do I mean by that? Status matters (more than the points), and the service may be more consistent than with the others; but the points in the program are like smoke and mirrors in a way that isn’t as applicable to a cash back feature from a product/program that is more merchant brand neutral.
Old Oct 14, 2021, 10:24 am

Originally Posted by GUWonder
I wouldn’t be surprised if this new redemption scheme from Hyatt is aiming to reduce Hyatt’s cost per point redeemed by about 10-20% over even 2020.

And then going forward this same multi-pricing scheme within each hotel category will be used to drive even further devaluation of the points in customer accounts as and when hotel occupancy levels return to pre-pandemic levels.

My expectation is that by some point in 2023, on average this Hyatt change will amount to c. 30% reduction from the 2019 value that a Hyatt program member gets out of a point redeemed.

This new Hyatt redemption scheme is a sign to me that Hyatt points are no longer going to be the kind of good long term store of value that they had been. Between the coming devaluation(s) from this new redemption scheme and my loss of confidence in Hyatt points being a good long term store of value, my approach to Hyatt will be like my approach to Delta. What do I mean by that? Status matters (more than the points), and the service may be more consistent than with the others; but the points in the program are like smoke and mirrors in a way that isn’t as applicable to a cash back feature from a product/program that is more merchant brand neutral.
Why would anyone want to stockpiles Hyatt points ever? Devaluation is inevitable. The only points you should store is transferable currencies like UR and MR. With enough UR you don't need to worry about your Hyatt balance anymore. Since UR can be easily earned in the millions per year this change would barely hurt the value of Hyatt pts. A 15k night going to 18k would mean I need to spend 3600 instead of 3000 to get a free night. 600 spend is meaningless in the grand scheme of thing.
Old Oct 14, 2021, 10:24 am

Originally Posted by GUWonder

As long as Hyatt offers any type of points rebate whether that’s 1 quarter, 2 quarters, 3 quarters or 4 quarters a year that will balance out the differential.

You haven’t even seen the rollout yet so you haven’t seen how the balance of Off Peak will happen.

I’d agree as I’m sure anyone else here would that it is a devaluation, how much of one is to be determined.

The only thing I really dislike is the implementation date of March because you could be hit severely if a property increases in category and is considered Peak.

I will say something I find disappointing though - Properties I’ve stayed at during specific Off Peak dates in 2018, 2019, 2020 and 2021 their new pricing for these same Off Peak dates is over 50% more along with other properties nearby. So that’s not a good thing as I believe the franchisees are increasing those prices to get a Peak designation, despite those dates traditionally being Off Peak. Which is very disappointing.

Is anyone else noticing this pattern? (The area in my situation is Dallas).
Old Oct 14, 2021, 10:25 am

Programs: Delta Skymiles
My suspicion is that Hyatt will not be “as bad” as Delta, but that the points program will be not as attractive as it is.

Currently I don’t redeem unless I can get $.02 per point or more in value BEFORE taxes and fees.

I doubt I will be able to stick to that level of commitment moving forward once the system changes. Maybe I will be pleasantly surprised.

Frankly Marriott and HIlton devalued their points so much that it was only a matter of time. Everyone always talks about how there is more competition among hoteliers, and I suppose that is true in terms of individual properties, but there really are several major players and is significant consolidation of the industry - MR, Hilton, Hyatt, IHG come to mind as the true “major players” in the mid scale to upscale hotel category.
Old Oct 14, 2021, 10:30 am

Programs: Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Gold, UA
Originally Posted by AndyKehn
Why would anyone want to stockpiles Hyatt points ever? Devaluation is inevitable. The only points you should store is transferable currencies like UR and MR. With enough UR you don't need to worry about your Hyatt balance anymore. Since UR can be easily earned in the millions per year this change would barely hurt the value of Hyatt pts. A 15k night going to 18k would mean I need to spend 3600 instead of 3000 to get a free night. 600 spend is meaningless in the grand scheme of thing.
Is this post in code?
Old Oct 14, 2021, 10:37 am

Originally Posted by OsakaWino
Is this post in code?
Guessing OP means spend with Hyatt earning 5 WOH points per dollar spent as that’s the only scale that makes sense.
Old Oct 14, 2021, 12:37 pm

Originally Posted by Matt4200
Guessing OP means spend with Hyatt earning 5 WOH points per dollar spent as that’s the only scale that makes sense.
I'm talking about UR. CIC 5x up to 25k thats already 125k a year. I personally have 5 CIC. Then there's CIP 3x with various "categories". So spending 3000 or 3600 for a 15k free nigh makes 0 difference to my daily spend volume. If you have a legit biz that advertise/ship stuffs then you can max out 1 CIC per month. Or just ms 25k ezpz. My point being people are too attached to the value of Hyatt points and forget that 1 Hyatt point = 1 Chase point = unlimited amount. So this whole peak/off-peak matters exactly 0.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.