Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

What type of globalist does Hyatt value more?

What type of globalist does Hyatt value more?

Old Dec 3, 2019, 12:45 pm

Programs: Amex Centurion
[QUOTE=joe_miami;...A mid-tier Hyatt elite is probably in the 95th percentile for travel.[/QUOTE]

You might be right on that, thing is the 99th and 100th percentile could be spending 100x of the 95th percentile.

You also agreed that in all likelihood Lifetime Globalists receive better treatment than non-Lifetime Globalists. The ONLY requirement to receive Lifetime Globalist is a $200,000 total spend with Hyatt.
Old Dec 3, 2019, 1:20 pm
Suspended

Programs: AA ExPlat, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Spire, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by TravelStar
You might be right on that, thing is the 99th and 100th percentile could be spending 100x of the 95th percentile.
No doubt about that. I'd bet every Globalist is in the 99th percentile among Hyatt customers, but the variance in that last 1% is undoubtedly massive.

You also agreed that in all likelihood Lifetime Globalists receive better treatment than non-Lifetime Globalists. The ONLY requirement to receive Lifetime Globalist is a $200,000 total spend with Hyatt.
Yes, but that's a huge amount of money. It's $5,000/year for 40 years or $10,000/year for 20 years.
Old Dec 3, 2019, 1:44 pm
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Delta GM (Former PM)
Originally Posted by joe_miami
No doubt about that. I'd bet every Globalist is in the 99th percentile among Hyatt customers, but the variance in that last 1% is undoubtedly massive.

Yes, but that's a huge amount of money. It's $5,000/year for 40 years or $10,000/year for 20 years.
Better way to look at it - 10 years at 20k - which is the spend required in a year to get Globalist off spend at Hyatts instead of nights. I've seen more than one post on FT of folks who reach lifetime after 10 years this way.
Old Dec 3, 2019, 1:47 pm
Suspended

Programs: AA ExPlat, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Spire, Hilton Gold
I bet they're the minority, though. Most seem to be road warrior corporate types who spent at least a couple decades living out of suitcases.
Old Dec 4, 2019, 5:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL, OZ, AC, AS, AA, BA, Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott, IHG
Originally Posted by Matt4200
I would disagree with this, especially the first portion.

Ive stayed at multiple HH Properties and I dont feel like I get better treatment than anyone else staying there. The same goes for HP as well. I dont feel like even if you stayed at every single one of an individual brand (Hyatt House, or another brand for example) that youd be treated any differently as a Globalist.

Now the 2nd part would be the same regardless of status. If you stay at the same property multiple times in the year you could potentially get even a Suite Upgrade as a Discoverist (a big Glob only benefit). Each individual property has files on repeat guests and managers assign inventory, sometimes based on history with the individual property.

Just my two cents.
I totally agree with you there. Recently I stayed two weeks at a Marriott Courtyard. I was only a Gold. I was only booking a stay every two days because my plan in China was in flux. After like the fourth night, the manager not only upgraded my room, but offered me free breakfast and 4 PM check-out. So I essentially got Platinum perks as a Gold. Ultimately, I stayed two weeks at that location. I recently became a Marriott Platinum.

Last edited by lsquare; Dec 4, 2019 at 12:23 pm
Old Dec 4, 2019, 9:07 am
Original Poster

Agree that any long time guest would be treated well normally. But the question is more about globalist treatment and who gets the nod for upgrades etc when multiple globalists are vying for it.
Old Dec 9, 2019, 7:27 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Life Titanium
PH Beijing

A few weeks ago, I stayed at the PH Beijing and was chatting with the Front Desk and she said each night, there is a list to prioritize the Globalist for Suite upgrades (as this hotel has limited suites) compared to the GH Beijing (where I get upgraded all the time every stay).

She wasnt sure of the exact criteria, but she thinks its based 1) how often the guest staying at THIS hotel
2) type of room booked (by rate)
3) Lifetime Globalist vs normal Globalist
lsquare likes this.
Old Dec 9, 2019, 7:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL, OZ, AC, AS, AA, BA, Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott, IHG
Originally Posted by dshih
A few weeks ago, I stayed at the PH Beijing and was chatting with the Front Desk and she said each night, there is a list to prioritize the Globalist for Suite upgrades (as this hotel has limited suites) compared to the GH Beijing (where I get upgraded all the time every stay).

She wasnt sure of the exact criteria, but she thinks its based 1) how often the guest staying at THIS hotel
2) type of room booked (by rate)
3) Lifetime Globalist vs normal Globalist
Is that list by priority?
Old Dec 9, 2019, 8:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP LT GLD 1MM, BA GLD, NH/UA*G, Hyatt Dia, Marr Tit LT PLT, IHG Spire,HH Dia, MGM NOIR,Hertz PC
From my understanding all spend on the Hyatt Visa nets Chase & Hyatt 3%, of that Hyatt gets 2% and Chase keeps 1%. Meaning $2,800 for Hyatt and $1,400 for Chase, in addition to the annual fee.

But something youre not noting is that if someone makes Globalist through spending they must have a good amount travel planned for the rest of that year and/or the following year otherwise itd be pointless right? In my case I plan on traveling about 35 nights next year along with another 8 between January and February 2021. Had I not attained Globalist this way I would likely only spend 5 nights at Hyatt and the rest with Hilton as I have a few hundred thousand HH points. So through doing this theyre gaining a guest for 43 nights since earning it. Those 140k points earned in the process are mostly gone from a 5 night stay at a Cat 5 and a 5 night stay at a Cat 2.
Disagree with that entirely. First of all your numbers are way off. Secondly most people who achieve Globalist through spend on the CC do so as part of a business expense allocation or are really high net worth individuals. None of the two necessarily translate into high travel frequency. They just chose the Hyatt Visa because the card offers them the most bang for the buck considering points earning/redemption value.
lsquare and Hydro88 like this.
Old Dec 9, 2019, 8:56 am

Programs: LH, WoH, Bonvoy, ALL, SH-L
Originally Posted by skywalkerLAX
Disagree with that entirely. First of all your numbers are way off. Secondly most people who achieve Globalist through spend on the CC do so as part of a business expense allocation or are really high net worth individuals. None of the two necessarily translate into high travel frequency. They just chose the Hyatt Visa because the card offers them the most bang for the buck considering points earning/redemption value.
Another humorous aspect of Matt's statement is that he thinks his 35 annual nights (the majority of which will likely be award stays) should give him similar sway as other Globalists that spend three times as much at Hyatt hotels.
lsquare likes this.
Old Dec 9, 2019, 12:23 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by skywalkerLAX
Disagree with that entirely. First of all your numbers are way off. Secondly most people who achieve Globalist through spend on the CC do so as part of a business expense allocation..
With the allocation of swipe fees? Im getting that from Chase. Do you have anything to show otherwise?

Secondly, anyone Ive ever encountered who has spent their way ti Globalist via the CC has done so via MS. Ive not meant one person who put 100k+ on their personal CC in the course of a year as part of business expense allocation. I havent even read a single DataPoints to show that at all. As far as it giving them more bang for their buck, that makes no sense at all. I can name a half dozen other that would be far more beneficial for people doing business expense allocation. As far as high net worth individuals, theyd simply meet Globalist by hitting the 100k base points they wouldnt spend 140k via the Hyatt CC. I know more than a few millionaires and the Hyatt CC isnt in their CC portfolios or even on their radar.

Originally Posted by Hydro88
Another humorous aspect of Matt's statement is that he thinks his 35 annual nights (the majority of which will likely be award stays) should give him similar sway as other Globalists that spend three times as much at Hyatt hotels.
Hyatt pays properties for Award stays right? So the property profits by having a guest stay with them, Award stay or Cash stay. Also, in certain aspects yes I do.

Take GH Manchester for example:

Say you have a Globalist who spent 30 Award Nights there last year.

Then you have another Globalist who has never been there, but has spent many nights at other Grand Hyatts, Andaz, and Hyatt Regency Properties on Cash stays.

I believe the first Globalist would get Preferred treatment over the second. Which is what I was describing above in case you misinterpreted.

If found many posts that suggest many soft touches are based on experiences at individual properties rather than with the brand overall. Ive heard of Discoverists being granted Suites on Award Stays because they stay their often. So yes, I believe my point is valid. I find it humorous that you think otherwise. Maybe thats how it works in Asia, but in the US its a completely different consumer market and loyalty to a specific property goes further than you think.
Old Dec 9, 2019, 5:56 pm

Programs: woh globalist, marriott platinum
Hey there fellow, pleasure to make your acquaintance! My business spend is in the $1.5mm range. I put in excess of $100,000 of that spend onto my personal World of Hyatt card expressly to acquire Globalist. I had enough nights at Marriott for Platinum but could not achieve that and Globalist both by stays. The Hyatts I redeem at tend to be in the 2.5 per point range. Once combined with the two cat 1-4 certs used in Manhattan or Nashville and the 1-7 used in Manhattan the opportunity cost of having used a chase card for 1.5 points per dollar approaches zero. The blanket statement you make about millionaires or high net worth people is not sound.
Old Dec 9, 2019, 6:42 pm

Originally Posted by Peter Green
Hey there fellow, pleasure to make your acquaintance! My business spend is in the $1.5mm range. I put in excess of $100,000 of that spend onto my personal World of Hyatt card expressly to acquire Globalist. I had enough nights at Marriott for Platinum but could not achieve that and Globalist both by stays. The Hyatts I redeem at tend to be in the 2.5 per point range. Once combined with the two cat 1-4 certs used in Manhattan or Nashville and the 1-7 used in Manhattan the opportunity cost of having used a chase card for 1.5 points per dollar approaches zero. The blanket statement you make about millionaires or high net worth people is not sound.
Questions -

Why not put that spend on another Chase Card and transfer the UR to Hyatt for the 1:1 conversion?

I believe out of all the people who hit Globalist through spend your Category is less than 10% of overall people. I can show dozens of DPs of people whove done MS to meet the $100k threshold to hit Globalist but very few who hit it your way. Allocating 100k or more in business spend to meet this threshold truly uncommon. Im not trying to invalidate that you did make Globalist this way, just that its quite uncommon compared to the majority of people hitting Globalist solely via spend.

You also know that you can hit Globalist by only spending 20k with Hyatt right? Not needing necessarily a set number of nights.
Old Dec 9, 2019, 7:34 pm

Programs: AA EXP & AAirpass, Hyatt Courtesy Card, SPG Platinum
The information below is incorrect. Not sure who you talked to. Once a room is pre-blocked for you its gone from inventory. That has been Hyatt practice for a long time, at least at full service properties, and going back to Diamond days. If a higher value guests makes a last minute reservation before you check in they can certainly re-assign your room and reshuffle things, but that is a lot of extra work.

Amenities (such as the half and half that is usually placed in my fridge), letter from GM etc. arent placed in the room after check in. They are arranged for hours prior to arrival.

As far as upgrades they typically still show up as available because they can potentially still sell that room and nothing is guaranteed until check in. Ive even asked Hyatt Managers and they say even when people use the guaranteed suite upgrades those rooms are not allocated they are still potentially for sale until they check in.

As far as stays, youre saying someone who stays 100 nights and theyre mostly award stays isnt as valued a guest as someone staying 50 nights who earns more base points?
Old Dec 9, 2019, 7:59 pm

Originally Posted by sensei
The information below is incorrect. Not sure who you talked to. Once a room is pre-blocked for you its gone from inventory. That has been Hyatt practice for a long time, at least at full service properties, and going back to Diamond days. If a higher value guests makes a last minute reservation before you check in they can certainly re-assign your room and reshuffle things, but that is a lot of extra work.

Amenities (such as the half and half that is usually placed in my fridge), letter from GM etc. arent placed in the room after check in. They are arranged for hours prior to arrival.
Ive spoken the CSRs at HR properties and Andaz Properties both have confirmed allocation as I stated. I also have a family friend who booked a Regency Suite and was upgraded because they had sold out of them. Ive also read on here about people and people have confirmed that it does happen where you book a Standard Suite and they have been upgraded to a Premium Suite because all Standard suites were given out.

Maybe theyre not supposed to do that but they do in practice.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.