FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Hyatt | World of Hyatt (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hyatt-world-hyatt-418/)
-   -   Award stays and lifetime status? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hyatt-world-hyatt/1996829-award-stays-lifetime-status.html)

lsquare Nov 24, 2019 7:17 pm

Award stays and lifetime status?

Unless I'm mistaken, since LT Globalist status requires US$200k in spending, does that mean award stays won't count? So if one is pursuing that, then don't do award stays?

MSPeconomist Nov 24, 2019 8:09 pm

Originally Posted by lsquare (Post 31773210)
Unless I'm mistaken, since LT Globalist status requires US$200k in spending, does that mean award stays won't count? So if one is pursuing that, then don't do award stays?

It doesn't matter as lifetime Glob is based entirely on lifetime spend (base points). Lifetime nights don't matter. OTOH spend (for example, on F&B) during award stays does count.

lsquare Nov 24, 2019 8:18 pm

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist (Post 31773317)
It doesn't matter as lifetime Glob is based entirely on lifetime spend (base points). Lifetime nights don't matter. OTOH spend (for example, on F&B) during award stays does count.

Are you pursuing LT status with Hyatt?

Just wondering if I should avoid using points for award nights if I'm pursuing LT status since that will just slow me down even though I know I could get very good value out of it.

JackE Nov 24, 2019 8:22 pm

If your only criterion is LT status, then you should not redeem awards until you are LT. Just be aware you will be paying a very steep price for that strategy.

lsquare Nov 24, 2019 8:44 pm

Originally Posted by JackE (Post 31773344)
If your only criterion is LT status, then you should not redeem awards until you are LT. Just be aware you will be paying a very steep price for that strategy.

This is just something that I'm thinking about. Are you pursuing LT status? It's a heavy price no matter what since it's based on LT spend. I guess not everyone here is pursuing LT status as they rather redeem points and enjoy their benefits now?

I'm heading to Bangkok next week. Just got my WoH Visa from Chase. Thinking of trying out Hyatt since there isn't any reason for me to add anymore nights to Marriott and Hilton for 2019. Those are my two main programs and I'll be prioritizing them once 2020 starts.

JackE Nov 24, 2019 11:33 pm

Originally Posted by lsquare (Post 31773397)
This is just something that I'm thinking about. Are you pursuing LT status? It's a heavy price no matter what since it's based on LT spend. I guess not everyone here is pursuing LT status as they rather redeem points and enjoy their benefits now?

I'm heading to Bangkok next week. Just got my WoH Visa from Chase. Thinking of trying out Hyatt since there isn't any reason for me to add anymore nights to Marriott and Hilton for 2019. Those are my two main programs and I'll be prioritizing them once 2020 starts.

I wouldn't overthink it. Just accumulate points but when your balance gets up there, use some of them before they devalue.

lsquare Nov 25, 2019 1:34 am

Originally Posted by JackE (Post 31773742)
I wouldn't overthink it. Just accumulate points but when your balance gets up there, use some of them before they devalue.

Thx for the opinion. I just want to ask questions and better understand things. Who knows, maybe I値l love Hyatt so much that I値l dump Marriott for it.

craigthemif Nov 25, 2019 1:40 am

If you ever buy points, then adjust your break-even calculations slightly to reflect the fact that cash spend counts for LTG whilst buying points doesn't.

Otherwise don't overthink it and spend points where it makes sense to you... It's arguably easier to reach 60 nights per year using award stays / credit card than it is to spend $200k + tax. (unless you are spending somebody else's money)

lsquare Nov 25, 2019 4:24 am

Originally Posted by craigthemif (Post 31773928)
If you ever buy points, then adjust your break-even calculations slightly to reflect the fact that cash spend counts for LTG whilst buying points doesn't.

Otherwise don't overthink it and spend points where it makes sense to you... It's arguably easier to reach 60 nights per year using award stays / credit card than it is to spend $200k + tax. (unless you are spending somebody else's money)

I go to Asia a lot so from what I gather, it値l definitely be much easier to attain Globalist with points and cash. I don稚 doubt it値l be difficult to spend $200k to achieve LT status.

UA-NYC Nov 25, 2019 6:44 am

Originally Posted by lsquare (Post 31773921)
Thx for the opinion. I just want to ask questions and better understand things. Who knows, maybe I値l love Hyatt so much that I値l dump Marriott for it.

As one who did exactly this - you will :)

1fan Nov 25, 2019 8:51 am

My number is 2.5 cents. If the point value is greater than 2.5 cents I use points if less I pay for it. I am trying to achieve LT status so I pay more often than some would recomend

jameswes Nov 25, 2019 9:27 am

My $0.02. Using points counts towards the yearly Globalist status (as long as you'll get up to 60+ nights). So since Globalist is basically the same as Lifetime Globalist (other than the fact that you can double dip on TSU and free nights with LT Glob), there isn't a compelling reason to let your points balances continue growing until you've spent $200K and get LT Globalist.

It seems to make more sense (to me at least) to use points where you would get outsized value (say 2cpp+) and save the money. You will eventually still hit LT Globalist, but just a little delayed. In the meantime you've saved a lot of money by spending points. And when the points devalue (not if, since all points devalue over time) it's not a huge hit for your balances.

For example, assuming you don't get any promos, $200K spend will net 1.3 million points. "Street Value" of somewhere on the order of $20K-$25K. I personally wouldn't want to be sitting on that many points since even small devaluations can cost you a lot of value.

MarkOK Nov 25, 2019 10:04 am

Yeah, I don't think too much about it. I hope to reach Lifetime some point before I hit 50, which is a bit more than a decade away still, and who knows what the program looks like by then. That includes the value of points, so I use them when I got them and can get a good value for them (more than 2 cents per point). The only time I put lifetime into the calculus, is when it comes to buying points -- I am reluctant to buy points unless there is an immediate obvious cost savings for planned stays that accounts for 1. The lost points earnings using cash, and 2. The set-back in lifetime status.

Having awards not count towards a lifetime status that is based on spend doesn't bug me -- but I am really annoyed how AA make lifetime status all about butt in seat miles but doesn't count award flights even though I am still literally flying with my butt in a seat (and all the while, most lifetimes out there have substantial pieces of their status earned in the old system when even things like CC miles counted towards lifetimes status).

Neric Nov 26, 2019 5:49 am

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist (Post 31773317)

Any other spending that gives base points counts, some hyatts parking won't count, others will. Same with restaurants, not 100% will give base points. To check just the hotel what is eligible spend for WoH. This is one of the things I love about WoH, since under the old system all this wouldn't count towards lifetime.

lsquare Nov 26, 2019 6:18 am

Originally Posted by MarkOK (Post 31775091)
Yeah, I don't think too much about it. I hope to reach Lifetime some point before I hit 50, which is a bit more than a decade away still, and who knows what the program looks like by then. That includes the value of points, so I use them when I got them and can get a good value for them (more than 2 cents per point). The only time I put lifetime into the calculus, is when it comes to buying points -- I am reluctant to buy points unless there is an immediate obvious cost savings for planned stays that accounts for 1. The lost points earnings using cash, and 2. The set-back in lifetime status.

Having awards not count towards a lifetime status that is based on spend doesn't bug me -- but I am really annoyed how AA make lifetime status all about butt in seat miles but doesn't count award flights even though I am still literally flying with my butt in a seat (and all the while, most lifetimes out there have substantial pieces of their status earned in the old system when even things like CC miles counted towards lifetimes status).

Totally agree with ya, but I missed that boat by about a decade. AA could totally innovate by allowing reward bookings to count toward LT status.