Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

10% Discount on Hyatt Gift Card Purchases

10% Discount on Hyatt Gift Card Purchases

Old Dec 23, 19, 8:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Mary2e View Post
Buying the card generates points? Or does redeeming it generate them?......
You receive points when you redeem. Gift cards are entered as a form of payment. No different than paying by credit card albeit not all front desk agents know how to enter it.
Mary2e likes this.
Old Dec 23, 19, 10:27 am

Originally Posted by Mary2e View Post
Buying the card generates points? Or does redeeming it generate them?

As well, earning points on the card is almost as valuable to me to get stay credits as saving the 10% since I often end up doing mattress runs.
Yeah - you could still get the spend on the card toward the stay credits if you buy these certificates with your WoH card, but you'd only get 1x on the purchase of the card instead of 4x on checkout at the Hyatt.
Mary2e likes this.
Old Dec 23, 19, 10:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador: World of Hyatt

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, UA Silver, dirt elsewhere
Yes, I've found a few ways to get spend up to save money on mattress runs.
Old Dec 23, 19, 12:20 pm

While I believe the answer no, let me double check. GCs aren't accepted in Europe/Asia, correct?
Old Dec 23, 19, 12:40 pm

From their T&C:

Use of this card constitutes acceptance of terms. Certain purchases (e.g., hotel stays) may have a minimum age requirement. Card may be applied to eligible purchases at participating Hyatt hotels in North and South America (for a list of participating hotels, see www.hyattgiftcards.com). Card may not be used outside of North and South America.

I ended up getting one for Blue Duck in DC, basically 12% off when coupled in with the cc purchase, can't complain. As Matt4200 noted, it did not show up as a travel or Hyatt purchase:

Transaction Details

Retailer name:
EGIFT CARD888 267 0447
Purchase date:
12/23/2019
Retailer city:
WILMINGTON
Settlement amount:
$180.00
Retailer zip code:
Visconti likes this.

Last edited by fangtl; Dec 23, 19 at 12:47 pm
Old Dec 23, 19, 1:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Visconti View Post
While I believe the answer no, let me double check. GCs aren't accepted in Europe/Asia, correct?
On the bottom of purchase page in red.

Redeemable at participating Hyatt hotels in North America, Canada, Mexico, Caribbean, Central America and South America.
https://www.buyatab.com/custom/hyatt...N_G-G30042958Y
Old Dec 24, 19, 8:58 am

Programs: OWE,*A G, Bonvoy LT TE, HHonors Diamond, WoH Globalist
Total BS!!! On Friday tried to purchase three cards, got seven temporary authorizations from bank(US), all three purchases were denied by Hyatt for " security reasons" . Tried to call them five times, waited more than an hour for three calls, no answer. On Saturday called again numerous times during, no answer, left the phone number, no call back. On Sunday and Monday called again after another denial using other credit card(US issued). Today one day after end of the promotion called again, no agent after one hour wait, left my name, email and phone number, so they can fix it. Yet, no call back. Total of seven times tried to purchase, every time is a denial due to the "BS reasons". Hours of waiting to be connected to agent to solve the issue. Nice start of the WoH membership!!!
Old Dec 24, 19, 10:44 am

And, the coupon field is gone now. I didn't get nearly enough of these.
Old Dec 24, 19, 10:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by josephstern View Post
And, the coupon field is gone now. I didn't get nearly enough of these.
Sale ended yesterday, 23rd.
Old Dec 29, 19, 8:36 pm

I purchased $1k gift card, but I think Iím regretting it. You have to book a flex rate which is about ~5% higher than prepaid. Is there anyway around this where hotel will accept gift card at checkin?
Old Dec 29, 19, 8:56 pm

Originally Posted by Cara332 View Post
I purchased $1k gift card, but I think Iím regretting it. You have to book a flex rate which is about ~5% higher than prepaid. Is there anyway around this where hotel will accept gift card at checkin?
You're still getting that extra 5% plus earning points for the stay. So whyís the downside?

Also, you can use them for other things other than hotel stays.
Old Jan 6, 20, 5:57 pm
Original Member

You lose more in value than the 10% discount when it is your own money paying the bills. As noted above, the flex rates are usually 5+% more, and you lose the bonus points from the WOH card. Granted, if you are using these for a business trip, it's free cash.

Then again, this oldie remembers the halcyon days of 1999/2000, scoring several hundred thousand points when Hyatt offered 5 points/dollar for hard copy gift certificates and pre-paid rates didn't exist. And award values were about half of what they are now for higher-end properties.
Old Jan 7, 20, 12:44 am

Originally Posted by Tino View Post
You lose more in value than the 10% discount when it is your own money paying the bills. As noted above, the flex rates are usually 5+% more, and you lose the bonus points from the WOH card. Granted, if you are using these for a business trip, it's free cash.

Then again, this oldie remembers the halcyon days of 1999/2000, scoring several hundred thousand points when Hyatt offered 5 points/dollar for hard copy gift certificates and pre-paid rates didn't exist. And award values were about half of what they are now for higher-end properties.
Youíre not taking into account that you can also use these towards: Spa, Dining and other activities able to be charged to your room.

Me for example Iím going to Andaz Papagayo and Almost all Dining will be charged to the room ($500 or more) for a 5 day stay, including probably some spa time. Iíd estimate easily $1,000 in charges and the room is paid for with points so not paying there.

So looking at this:

Either I pay $1,000 with the WOH card and earn 4,000 points from the CC

or

Buy a $1,000 GC for $890 (after a conservative 1% in CC rewards for purchasing).

Meaning youíre trading $110 for 4,000 points which is a terrible trade off.

Paying with GCís you still earn the Globalist 30% and the 5 WOH points per dollar spent.

Even if you got the 5% off a room rate meaning youíd pay $950 rather than $1,000 and get 3,800 points from the WOH CC.

Iíd strongly prefer the additional $60 savings instead of the 3,800 points if youíre using it for a room.

Iím really not seeing how thatís a good idea at all. To me I value WOH points at 1-1.25 cents per point. Even though they can be used for more than that since I have so many I get to a point where Iíd rather cash them out since I canít use them and theyíre likely to get devalued over time.
Old Jan 7, 20, 3:09 pm
Original Member

I see your argument if you are rich in points. But if you are buying Hyatt gift cards, resellers often make them available for >10% discounts.

Then again, your travel habits are different than mine, as I do not accumulate points through business travel. In my dozen or so stays this past year at Hyatts, my aggregate points accumulated has been 48. I book the rooms much cheaper on non-matching third-party websites and don't typically spend money at the property.
Old Jan 7, 20, 3:37 pm

I donít travel for business at all I earn points through spending on Chase cards and transfer to Hyatt.

I havenít found any good resellers for Hyatt GCís through. If you know of any let me know.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: